This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Massive OIl Spill in Arkansas!!!!!

#1goatthiefPosted 3/30/2013 10:51:40 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/31/us-exxon-pipeline-spill-idUSBRE92U00220130331
Exxon Mobil was working to clean up thousands of barrels of oil in Mayflower, Arkansas, after a pipeline carrying heavy Canadian crude ruptured, a major spill likely to stoke debate over transporting Canada's oil to the United States.

Exxon shut the Pegasus pipeline, which can carry more than 90,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil from Pakota, Illinois, to Nederland, Texas, after the leak was discovered on Friday afternoon, the company said in a statement.

Exxon, hit with a $1.7 million fine by regulators this week over a 2011 spill in the Yellowstone River, said a few thousand barrels of oil had been observed.

omfg this is horrible.
---
*Steals your goats*
#2Heineken14Posted 3/30/2013 10:52:50 PM
Government should immediately pull out so all the yokels can go throw their Skoal on it and put it out!

Oh... wait....
---
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
#3YouAreCrumbsPosted 3/30/2013 11:06:26 PM
Maybe if they didn't have to make sure everything was up to some arbitrary federal standard they would have had time to solve this before it got so bad. When will liberals wake up?
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#4Cannibal_KittyPosted 3/30/2013 11:56:28 PM
I've always wondered, what happens to the oil in an oil spill? Reprocess?
---
But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? - Mark Twain
#5RufusNKenRSTierPosted 3/31/2013 12:18:50 AM
Republicans say you can keep what you find!

Also, theres special oil eating bacteria that gets released!
---
Reign of Dragons referral code H3JC7GR
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/59182173
#6Nitro378Posted 3/31/2013 2:32:04 AM
RufusNKenRSTier posted...
Republicans say you can keep what you find!

Not likely, that oil is PRIVATE PROPERTY!
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#7CyborgSage00x0Posted 3/31/2013 2:39:48 AM
You know, after the official Congressional report about the Keystone Pipeline showed that overall affects on greenhouse gas emissions would be virtually unchanged whether we built the damn thing or not, I was *this* close to agreeing to just build it.

However, I did note that no one had an answer to what happens if a pipeline bursts and spills oil. The general approach seemed to be "pray that doesn't happen" (tbf, it is kinda rare). But then you get stories like this, which reminds me why Keystone is such a crappy idea. And Exxon literally was in hot water for this TWO YEARS ago.
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2, LoL, Super Mario 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pokemon White 2, NSMB3DS.
#8CountPopeulaPosted 3/31/2013 2:40:57 AM
YouAreCrumbs posted...
Maybe if they didn't have to make sure everything was up to some arbitrary federal standard they would have had time to solve this before it got so bad. When will liberals wake up?

So if they didnt have to keep their pipelines safe, they could have made their pipeline safer?
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#9RandomActofFailPosted 3/31/2013 3:50:59 AM
Cannibal_Kitty posted...
I've always wondered, what happens to the oil in an oil spill? Reprocess?

It's waste at that point. You write it off.
---
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George
#10RandomActofFailPosted 3/31/2013 3:57:46 AM
CyborgSage00x0 posted...
You know, after the official Congressional report about the Keystone Pipeline showed that overall affects on greenhouse gas emissions would be virtually unchanged whether we built the damn thing or not, I was *this* close to agreeing to just build it.

However, I did note that no one had an answer to what happens if a pipeline bursts and spills oil. The general approach seemed to be "pray that doesn't happen" (tbf, it is kinda rare). But then you get stories like this, which reminds me why Keystone is such a crappy idea. And Exxon literally was in hot water for this TWO YEARS ago.

There are over 250k miles of pipeline in the U.S. It is still the safest way to transport chemical products. I do not oppose building the Keystone XL pipeline because the alternatives are less efficient and likely will have a bigger public health impact.

That said, the government needs to mandate inspection of pipelines to a significant degree. Pipeline corrosion/buckling etc. is entirely predictable. When market failure occurs, as often happens with respect to the environment, the government has a role to play.
---
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George