This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it discrimination to not hire someone because they have tattoos?

#1Gryffindor1Posted 4/3/2013 2:22:17 PM
My local news just had a story about someone who is suing a company which he was clearly qualified for, and they didn't hire him because when they saw his tattoos, the people interviewing him tried to get through the interview as fast as they could compared to other applicants and stared at his tattoos most of the time.
#2mgtonvac55Posted 4/3/2013 2:24:23 PM
Is it discrimination to not hire someone based on what their skin looks like?

Yes. Yes it is.
---
New York Yankees 0-1
#3RodrigoErwinPosted 4/3/2013 2:27:49 PM
Depends on the job.

Say you apply for a retail job at a religious store and you are a metalhead with metal tattoos.

In many jobs presentation is key.
---
13 inches Epeen
#4IamvegitoPosted 4/3/2013 2:29:57 PM
"Tattoo-having" isn't a protected class. Get with the ACLU and change it.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#5TauriLeaderPosted 4/3/2013 2:34:12 PM
It depends on the job and where is the tattoo.

My friend is an accountant and his entire Torso is covered in one large dragon tattoo. Nothing is visible while in the suit.
---
Due to recent economic conditions, and the rising cost of Electricity, Gas and Oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
#6RufusNKenRSTierPosted 4/3/2013 2:35:19 PM
If you have a Dragon Tattoo and you wear a suit...

too many potential movie references to make...

ANYWAY, what if the guy has swastika tattoos and hes applying for a job at the ADL?
---
Reign of Dragons referral code H3JC7GR
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/59182173
#7YermomHoudiniPosted 4/3/2013 2:36:20 PM
what are his tattoos about? where are his tattoos? can he cover them with proper attire?

if he is like this,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209233/The-body-billboard-The-people-dotcom-tattoos-advertising-websites-longer-exist.html

of course they don't want to hire him when he's promoting other companies over theirs.
---
Toy Story 4 trailer, best movie 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuTN_ilmEk
#8Gryffindor1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 2:36:36 PM
TauriLeader posted...
It depends on the job and where is the tattoo.

My friend is an accountant and his entire Torso is covered in one large dragon tattoo. Nothing is visible while in the suit.

It was a sleeve of tattoos.
#9PhoroPosted 4/3/2013 2:37:11 PM
mgtonvac55 posted...
Is it discrimination to not hire someone based on what their skin looks like?

Yes. Yes it is.

This. After all, tattoos aren't choices.

wait.

But in all seriousness, I'm all for ink being acceptable in the workplace, but like so many things, there are exceptions. If someone had a giant swastika tattooed on his face, I can totally understand employers not begging him to join the team.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#10AtralisPosted 4/3/2013 4:06:52 PM
Obviously its discrimination but that doesn't mean that its always wrong or even close to illegal.
---
~ IN THE FUTURE there will be no black people and white people. Just robots.