This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it discrimination to not hire someone because they have tattoos?

#11StarksPosted 4/3/2013 4:08:37 PM(edited)
I wouldn't hire somebody with visible hate tats

Don't care if you're going straight and moving on, go get them lasered
---
Your resident Linux gamer pal
http://chat.mibbit.com/?server=Rizon.Mibbit.org&channel=#otchat
#12kmick2Posted 4/3/2013 4:12:55 PM
As long as they aren't offensive, meh. Tattoos are so commonplace in 2013 people have become desensitized to them aesthetically.
---
I can walk away from millions because it's not right, but I'll be damned if I'll back an inch from a dime because it has to be so.-Bruce Lee
#13TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/3/2013 4:14:36 PM
It depends on whether tattoos will inhibit you from doing the job. If you have tattoos over every inch of your body and you want to get into sales, you would probably not be hired, and I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

Dont cover yourself in tattoos if youre wanting to get a job in sales.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#14blacktrancePosted 4/3/2013 4:43:22 PM
Is it discrimination not to hire someone because of X?
Yes, but it's not necessarily bad, depends on what X is.
---
"With enough brutal force the thieving rabble can be kept in line." - Rebelscum
#15kozlo100Posted 4/3/2013 4:48:48 PM
Iamvegito posted...
"Tattoo-having" isn't a protected class. Get with the ACLU and change it.

This.

I'll be surprised if he can even get the case heard. Frankly I'm surprised a lawyer took it in the first place.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#16JolteonPosted 4/3/2013 6:42:36 PM
It's discrimination, yeah, pretty much by definition. But it's not the illegal kind.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#17atmasabrPosted 4/3/2013 8:04:21 PM
Atralis posted...
Obviously its discrimination but that doesn't mean that its always wrong or even close to illegal.

I consider tattoos to be extremely inconsistent with professional attire.
---
Do your own research!
#18RedcountPosted 4/3/2013 8:11:35 PM
It depends entirely on the law where you live. Check to see if your state/province has "Human Rights legislation".

Where I live, in Ontario, you absolutely are not protected from discrimination in employment based on things like piercings or tattoos simply because they are your fashion choice. The only grounds which would be protected are if the plaintiff could show that they belong to a religion which requires piercings/tattoos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Body_Modification

It's basically an excuse to not get fired based on your body modifications.

To be fair though, I don't see why one person's religion should be a protected ground and another person's fashion sense shouldn't be.
---
Going to Saskatoon to catch an all ages Ahnabith Gish show for 15 Canadian dollars. Maybe I'll get a wrist band so I can drink a refreshing Molson's - Orca
#19atmasabrPosted 4/3/2013 8:15:59 PM
Redcount posted...
To be fair though, I don't see why one person's religion should be a protected ground and another person's fashion sense shouldn't be.

Didn't we have this discussion on the topic on Muslim headscarves?
---
Do your own research!
#20koala_cool_jPosted 4/3/2013 8:18:38 PM
I think it'd be a better step if he just found a different job which would accept his tattoo's. I he feels strongly about his qualifications then it should be a negative thing on part of the company, and positive for him because he can look for a place which is more accepting and has a different corporate culture.
---
Join a new revolution in how people get information. www.talkingpoints.co