This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

guys white people can't get into college!

#51SocksForWokXFXPosted 4/5/2013 3:26:25 PM
Lemme guess, this girl got pwned by affirmative action?
#52Flaming_Fire619Posted 4/5/2013 3:26:30 PM
GreenMagicite posted...
GreenMagicite posted...

Understood, but different activities are viewed differently. I spent a summer out in DC, not as a page but as a Senate Committee Intern during college and the Page program (and the college internship for that matter), it honestly kind of a joke. Most of the kids there are well connected and have rich parents and use the summer to get drunk and have a fancy line on their resume.

Now it is somewhat prestigious, but still I think there are much better activities she could have done. Again, when you're applying at an ivy league school you need something that really makes you stand out, and I'd venture that a whole bunch of kids applying to ivy schools have a senate pageship on their resume, so it doesn't make you stand out as much.

There can't be that many. Doesn't seem to mention summer though.

"During the school year, there are up to 30 Pages. The majority appoints up to 16, while the minority appoints up to 14."

Anyway, what activities are better? A sports team? Worthless unless you're being recruited for that sport. Some hobby club? Again, less than a job. Volunteer work is good. School paper? Doesn't mean much unless you're going in for journalism or something along those lines. Copyrights and patents are good, but those are typically reserved for grad school requirements.

I don't really see the point of most extracurricular activities when it comes to acceptance, to be honest.

They show interest outside of academia, which a lot of colleges like to see and commitment. A bunch of clubs you're only in for one year doesn't look that great. But say Head Writer or Editor of your school Paper shows leadership qualities that you may not see in just school.
---
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames
#53MushroomsDMTPosted 4/5/2013 3:33:57 PM
First off that same person could be any race and still be denied.

Second of all it's the f***in Ivy League, if everyone who got denied went off on some stupid public rant there would be thousands a day from all over the world.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/doesntexist420
^ Click here for a free gram of high quality Ketamine
#54koala_cool_jPosted 4/5/2013 3:39:58 PM
because she is the last of four children.

Ah, well that makes sense then. She fits the psychological profile for "babies" perfectly.
---
Join a new revolution in how people get information. www.talkingpoints.co
#55black spiderPosted 4/5/2013 4:16:29 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#56fudrickPosted 4/5/2013 4:25:36 PM
Flaming_Fire619 posted...
Their Fall 2012 Class' middle 50% SAT was 1400-1560.

Out of 2400?!?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#57Flaming_Fire619Posted 4/5/2013 4:48:14 PM
fudrick posted...
Their Fall 2012 Class' middle 50% SAT was 1400-1560.

Out of 2400?!?

Whoops, no, I should have clarified. Most colleges only look at the Critical score, which is Math and English. Science is optional on most. So that's out of a potential...1800 I believe. I think that Science is worth 800
---
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames
#58AtralisPosted 4/5/2013 4:56:53 PM
Theshamen posted...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304083/Suzy-Lee-Weiss-Entitled-high-school-senior-sparks-firestorm-writing-biting-open-letter-Ivy-League-schools-rejected-her.html

Oh wait, no activities, no clubs, no sports, nothing interesting about her life except for some overinflated grades?

Yea I feel real sorry for her

As long as all black and hispanic students with the same SAT scores and grade would have been admitted to the school she has a right to complain about affirmative action. Period.
And black and hispanic students that benefit from affirmative action should know that people that had higher grades and higher SAT scores than them were denied admission to the school. And the white students that study alongside them should all know this as well.

This applies to all non-meritocratic admissions policies. We shouldn't hide from the facts of what is going on if we are going to pursue these policies and we should always question whether or not it is worth continuing.
---
~ IN THE FUTURE there will be no black people and white people. Just robots.
#59fudrickPosted 4/5/2013 4:58:30 PM
Whoops, no, I should have clarified. Most colleges only look at the Critical score, which is Math and English. Science is optional on most. So that's out of a potential...1800 I believe. I think that Science is worth 800

I just assumed you meant that was the 2400 score since that's what was given in the article. Math and reading are worth 1600, so 1400 - 1560 is fairly high. And did they really add a science portion?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#60HeroTymePosted 4/5/2013 4:59:22 PM
Theshamen posted...
no activities, no clubs, no sports,

I don't know what she was expecting.

I thought it was common knowledge that high scores weren't only things required to get into top tier colleges.

It's not like her GPA was perfect either.
---
Disclaimer: I can't actually save anyone.