This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Obama forced to apologize for saying the Cali Attorney General is good looking

#1SocksForWokXFXPosted 4/5/2013 2:57:19 PM
(CNN) – California's attorney general received an apology call from President Barack Obama Thursday after he told a crowd of Democratic donors she was "by far the best looking attorney general."

"The president did speak with Attorney General [Kamala] Harris last night after he came back from his trip," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told CNN's Brianna Keilar at Friday's briefing. "He called her to apologize for the distraction created by his comments."

The remark came during a fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee in the Bay Area. No video cameras were allowed inside, but a print pool reporter noted the president's remark. "She's brilliant and she's dedicated, she's tough… She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general," Obama said, according to the report.

The quick remark launched a thousand conversations about successful women and their looks. For some, Obama's observation brought to mind countless instances of women being judged for their appearance rather than their aptitude. But others saw something different – a harmless compliment – and wondered when it became sexist to tell a woman she's beautiful.

"They are old friends and good friends and he did not want in any way to diminish the attorney general's professional accomplishments and her capabilities, and I would note that he called her in those same comments brilliant, dedicated and tough. She is all those things," Carney continued, noting her work on mortgage settlements.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/05/obama-quip-sexist-a-compliment-both/?hpt=hp_t1

You know things are bad when even Obama isn't PC enough for the PC crowd
#2Superlnfinity45Posted 4/5/2013 3:05:20 PM(edited)
I'm far from PC and I agree that he shouldn't be.... saying things like that. Her looks have nothing to do with it.
---
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
#3ur grandpaPosted 4/5/2013 3:09:14 PM(edited)
Yeah, lets force the president to apologize for making a comment like "good looking." It's not like there are starving children, several possible wars that could be starting in our near future, or any sort of crisis' in this nation. No, nothing is going on. There are no hungry children or people dying, and for some reason it has now become wrong to compliment women based on their looks in a manner that most would consider boring. So wrong that the President of these United States should be taking time out of his schedule to apologize for.
---
There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." Ali bin Abu-Talib
#4ElderMisanthropyPosted 4/5/2013 3:13:01 PM
Yes, I completely agree with this. I want to live in a world where a person complimenting another is met with outrage and cries of *-isms and oppression. I want everyone to be forced to apologize for anything they say that's even slightly outside the bounds of incessant and pathetic self-deprecation.

I don't want anyone to feel comfortable while speaking in public, because that might remove my chances to pretend to be a victim and demand compensation.
---
For Amuro, this is the first time he's noticed the scent of a woman.
#5atmasabrPosted 4/5/2013 3:14:27 PM
I changed my mind.

However, that's a kind of comment you don't make in public.
---
Do your own research!
#6YouAreCrumbsPosted 4/5/2013 3:15:29 PM
Obama's been spending too much time with Big Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTWlIWRe0VQ
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#7koala_cool_jPosted 4/5/2013 3:15:43 PM
Hell I would have said the same thing.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Kamala_Harris_Official_Attorney_General_Photo.jpg

Innocent quip taken out of hand. I hate when people get all fake outraged over small minor incidents like this.
---
Join a new revolution in how people get information. www.talkingpoints.co
#8Superlnfinity45Posted 4/5/2013 3:23:47 PM
How is it a quip? He just said she was the best looking attorney general, that's not a quip. If all the other attorney generals were males, you might call that a quip. And he didn't just called her "good looking", he compared her to all other attorney generals, many of whom I imagine are women.

Also how relevant is it? Would he talk about an attorney general's golf swing, or piano-playing abilities? Surely it's not very professional to talk about those things. You don't hear people talking about Obama's basketball skills.
---
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
#9atmasabrPosted 4/5/2013 3:25:20 PM
Superlnfinity45 posted...
You don't hear people talking about Obama's basketball skills.

Well, actually, you do from Sean Hannity.

He talks about the President's golf game, too.
---
Do your own research!
#10koala_cool_jPosted 4/5/2013 3:29:46 PM
Superlnfinity45 posted...
How is it a quip? He just said she was the best looking attorney general, that's not a quip. If all the other attorney generals were males, you might call that a quip. And he didn't just called her "good looking", he compared her to all other attorney generals, many of whom I imagine are women.

Also how relevant is it? Would he talk about an attorney general's golf swing, or piano-playing abilities? Surely it's not very professional to talk about those things. You don't hear people talking about Obama's basketball skills.

It's a compliment. If we got fake outraged over every ridiculous, more offensive thing the GOP says....There's not enough TV channels to cover that.
---
Join a new revolution in how people get information. www.talkingpoints.co