This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New anti-abortion bill passed in Kansas declares life begins at fertilization

#1peach freakPosted 4/6/2013 3:49:34 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/06/abortion-kansas-life-fertilization/2058515/

So imagine Roe v. Wade never existed. In Kansas, with the definition of the beginning of life now being at fertilization, would that mean that a woman would have absolutely no legal control over her body the minute the man zips up his pants in bed? And if the fertilized egg is flushed out of the system, could a woman in Kansas be held accountable of murder?

Isn't this blatantly unconstitutional anyone?

And other things the bill does:

In addition to the bans on tax breaks and sex-selection abortions, the bill prohibits abortion providers from being involved in public school sex education classes and spells out in more detail what information doctors must provide to patients seeking abortions.

The measure's language that life begins "at fertilization" had some abortion-rights supporters worrying that it could be used to legally harass providers. Abortion opponents call it a statement of principle and not an outright ban on terminating pregnancies.

---
Manny Ramirez *24* 2001-2008
Thanks for the memories man.
#2RedcountPosted 4/6/2013 3:53:00 AM
I'm not a fan of the whole "personhood" label for the very early stages of development; personhood carries with it constitutional rights that I feel would be too broad for an embryo.

By all means, restrict abortion, but go about it the right away, without confusing language.
---
Going to Saskatoon to catch an all ages Ahnabith Gish show for 15 Canadian dollars. Maybe I'll get a wrist band so I can drink a refreshing Molson's - Orca
#3chaos knightPosted 4/6/2013 3:57:22 AM
Can we just sacrifice, like, five states or so in total and let all social conservatives secede and form their own country? I'm so beyond tired of dealing with their bull****, especially considering how much it wastes time in our court system having to constantly throw out these bills. They can form their own Christian theocracy, I don't care.
---
Seattle sports, yo
#4RedcountPosted 4/6/2013 4:00:01 AM
Abortion laws and Christianity don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. Some people may oppose abortion out of religious beliefs, but there are also completely secular arguments against abortion.
---
Going to Saskatoon to catch an all ages Ahnabith Gish show for 15 Canadian dollars. Maybe I'll get a wrist band so I can drink a refreshing Molson's - Orca
#5Nitro378Posted 4/6/2013 4:27:51 AM
Redcount, you're an abberation, the vast majority of supposed 'pro-lifers' are religious and there is really no legitimate secular argument against abortion. You're just some crazy sex-hating atheist prude. It's like now that you realise we only have one life here on Earth you're determined to have as little fun as possible.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#6dermoratrakenPosted 4/6/2013 4:28:00 AM
Isn't this blatantly unconstitutional anyone?

Why would stating scientific fact be blatantly unconstitutional? Out of everything in the bill you had to focus on the one item that makes sense and doesn't actually do anything legally.
#7UnfairRepresentPosted 4/6/2013 5:01:48 AM
Redcount posted...
Abortion laws and Christianity don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. Some people may oppose abortion out of religious beliefs, but there are also completely secular arguments against abortion.

Sure but 19/20 are religiously motivated
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#8MasterEchuPosted 4/6/2013 5:54:50 AM
UnfairRepresent posted...
Redcount posted...

Sure but 19/20 are religiously motivated

No its closer to 75%, theres a running group who find any human life regardless of how "Developed" is still human. Of course nothing about the conclusion is correct as what makes us human is not just biology and until we develop to the point we can solidly say sentience has been achieved well...you get the idea.

But yah, not all religious. As well, Nitro, whats with being a jerk? no one deserved that kind of outright insult out of nowhere
---
Morality is not fleeting, games or alternate realities will not change what is right and wrong if you reallly belive in them.
Yes my spelling stinks, quiet!
#9Nitro378Posted 4/6/2013 6:07:56 AM
MasterEchu posted...
As well, Nitro, whats with being a jerk? no one deserved that kind of outright insult out of nowhere

He called people who carry condoms 'sex-crazed man-whores' or something the other day so I don't see how I'm being inaccurate.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#10wally(Moderator)Posted 4/6/2013 6:15:08 AM
Redcount has actually said that he thinks married couples should stay abstinent. I really don't think nitro was being insulting.
---
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight