This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capitalism compels girl to jump in front of train for phone, nearly dies...

#51KradekPosted 4/8/2013 12:02:47 AM
This has as much to do with capitalism as wearing a skirt has to do with rape.

They're both convenient scapegoats.
---
I think he means that if Romney was shocked every time he lied, we'd end up with two black candidates ;)- AlucardSX
#52Zero_DestroyerPosted 4/8/2013 12:34:43 AM
Valnor50 posted...

It has nothing to do with instinct. Capitalism is arguable, it's an indirect cause in my opinion.

How is it an indirect cause? What does it have to do with anything in this scenario? Your initial post stated capitalism perpetuated status anxiety and materialism. In this case, the item dropped was a cell phone.

Cell phones definitely qualify as more than a negligible luxury and having a cell phone has nothing to do with status. So your entire point is lost in a black hole of logic that ignores how ultra-convenient and borderline necessary cell phones are in a modern day society. This has to do with communication across long distances being convenient, and has nothing to do with capitalism.

Then, to explain the behavioral reaction of her jumping to grab the phone, you state that environmental factors (presumably capitalism and its effects on society, in your case) influence people. This, of course, still has nothing to do with capitalism. It has to do with societal convenience of having a cell phone. Some stupid people will do stupid things without thinking first.

Considering all of this, there isn't much ground at all to say capitalism had any major influence on this situation. I mean, come the f*** on.
---
The Official Shiek Mainer in SSBB.
I am ZERO! The deck maker o' DOOM!
#53Valnor50Posted 4/8/2013 10:23:39 AM
Cell phones are a HUGE status item. I've seen lots of people use their phones to try to impress people and make people envious. It's why we throw away millions of them every year. A lot of people don't buy new ones because their old one broke. They buy them so they can play around with the newest thing because their friends have it or because their friends don't have it and they want to be the first. A lot of people use them simply for their purpose, but a lot also do not.
#54Mimbrate_KnightPosted 4/8/2013 10:38:54 AM
Valnor50 posted...
Orange Clockwork posted...
You realize it's human nature to try to keep, hold onto, and protect your stuff, right? The economic system is not important in this regard. No one wants to lose the stuff they already have.

Survival is human nature. This is behavior that's taught.

Wait… are suggesting that somebody or something taught her to risk her life to retrieve a phone?
#55Valnor50Posted 4/8/2013 10:50:01 AM
Yes, she obviously twisted the values. But the social importance of such an item is way over-emphasized.
#56BahamutPosted 4/8/2013 11:20:38 AM
Can someone who uses trains often explain why people insist on standing right next to the platform edge? It seems to me that a lot of the recent train-related accidents could be avoided by moving back a couple of meters.
---
"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him." -Cardinal Richelieu
#57Zero_DestroyerPosted 4/8/2013 11:35:43 AM
Valnor50 posted...
Cell phones are a HUGE status item. I've seen lots of people use their phones to try to impress people and make people envious. It's why we throw away millions of them every year. A lot of people don't buy new ones because their old one broke. They buy them so they can play around with the newest thing because their friends have it or because their friends don't have it and they want to be the first. A lot of people use them simply for their purpose, but a lot also do not.

Alright, you have a point that cell pones CAN be used as a status item, but in most cases (especially in a foreign country, as this case was) it's more likely that the person jumped to save their phone because of the previously stated conveniences of having a f***ing cell phone.

Beyond that, people can put important numbers and pictures and whatnot into their cell phones and in the heat of the moment may want to save virtual property that's valuable to them without thinking first.
---
#58Mr_Red_Herring(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 11:48:45 AM
So you do believe in private property, screenshot'd.
---
http://tinyurl.com/mr-red-herring
#59Zero_DestroyerPosted 4/8/2013 12:09:30 PM
Mr_Red_Herring posted...
So you do believe in private property, screenshot'd.

Oh my, I believe people should be able to own things

oh noooo no2Zero.jpg incoming
---
#60Mr_Red_Herring(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 7:51:13 PM(edited)
This country has a much better attitude about phones, and they are not capitalist. Look how well the student takes it when the professor smashes the phone on the ground:

http://youtu.be/3Bu3Z3Xdynw

---
http://tinyurl.com/mr-red-herring