This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NutriSavings allows employers to know how "healthy" you shop

#1EvilMonkeyPosted 4/8/2013 9:15:31 AM
Do you agree with this program? - Results (23 votes)
Yes
52.17% (12 votes)
No
47.83% (11 votes)
This poll is now closed.
A just-launched online service called NutriSavings will give workers coupons and cash back to encourage the purchase of more nutritious foods. In exchange, you’ll have to lift the curtain a little on what you buy at the grocery store.

The benefit program is a joint venture between employee benefits multinational Edenred and digital coupons startup SavingStar. It arrives as many companies are seeking to curb their health care expenses through so-called wellness programs.

Some companies are seeking a more intimate connection with their workers’ habits in an effort to socially engineer better behavior. Drugstore giant CVS is reportedly demanding employees enrolled in its health insurance plan undergo a wellness screening and disclose various personal data, including weight and body fat percentage. Those who don’t will face a $50 per month penalty.

NutriSavings, by contrast, requires the same level of disclosure required of anyone who uses a grocery store loyalty card to get discounts when they shop. The NutriSavings system tracks what you buy and scores your food purchases according to nutritional quality. If you score low, NutriSavings offers you discounts on healthier alternatives. If you score high, you get coupons to keep you going back for more of the same.

“Your boss will never know what you’re eating,” says NutriSavings CEO Gerard Bridi, who says NutriSavings is an opt-in program.

But employers do get to see aggregate data on how healthily their workers are shopping.

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/04/hacking-worker-health-with-coupons/
---
"Our history now falls from a kingdom of gold to one of iron and rust." -Cassius Dio
#2Sniper_BrosefPosted 4/8/2013 9:19:16 AM
I don't agree with anything that allows others to know what I'm doing. When are we going to get a privacy amendment?!
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#3TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/8/2013 9:20:33 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I don't agree with anything that allows others to know what I'm doing. When are we going to get a privacy amendment?!

Its an opt-in deal. You choose to give up this info in exchange for savings. Forbidding people from doing this is to take from their freedom to do as they wish with their privacy.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#4Sniper_BrosefPosted 4/8/2013 9:23:11 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Its an opt-in deal. You choose to give up this info in exchange for savings. Forbidding people from doing this is to take from their freedom to do as they wish with their privacy.

I'm not saying you can't willfully give up your own privacy, I'm saying I wouldn't do this.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#5Magus1947Posted 4/8/2013 10:14:28 AM
I wish it were possibly to eliminate this pernicious belief that if you eat well and exercise then you will never get sick, with the follow-on that if you get sick it's because you did something to deserve it.

That belief will never go away because it would mean admitting that people have limited control of their health which requires admitting that people have limited control over their mortality. Most people behave as if they will somehow be the exception and will live forever.

You will die. You will get sick and die.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/8/2013 10:18:45 AM
Magus1947 posted...
I wish it were possibly to eliminate this pernicious belief that if you eat well and exercise then you will never get sick, with the follow-on that if you get sick it's because you did something to deserve it.

That belief will never go away because it would mean admitting that people have limited control of their health which requires admitting that people have limited control over their mortality. Most people behave as if they will somehow be the exception and will live forever.

Yes, but you will live longer if you live healthily, and part of that is your diet.

Unless youre trying to claim that diet has no impact on health (which would be lol worthy), you have nothing to complain about in this thread.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#7KavatarPosted 4/8/2013 10:21:44 AM
Magus1947 posted...

Literally nobody believes this. People do believe, however, that eating well and exercising will lead to a lower chance of health problems, and on average a longer life. Which is completely true.
---
theblast (Posted 7:30:02 PM): Dare I ask what a meatspin is
theblast (Posted 7:31:06 PM): Oh dear god. Clearing private data... now.
#8DJStrongPosted 4/8/2013 10:24:11 AM
I would make an effort to healthier at work but the line at the salad bar is so long all the time, the wait for pizza on the other hand...

Eating sensibly is better than eating 'healthy' 9 times out of 10.
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"
#9Nitro378Posted 4/8/2013 10:28:42 AM
EvilMonkey posted...
“Your boss will never know what you’re eating,” says NutriSavings CEO Gerard Bridi, who says NutriSavings is an opt-in program.

...and if you'll believe that I've got a Nigerian prince to sell you.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#10EvilMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 6:20:23 PM(edited)
I can't see how giving employers more power over the personal lives of their workers can lead to anything but abuse.
---
"Our history now falls from a kingdom of gold to one of iron and rust." -Cassius Dio