This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In a society where everyone makes the same amount of money...

#61JIC XPosted 4/8/2013 3:59:44 PM
Ideally. But we all know that isn't the case for many people. In the vast majority of cases, the lawyer will do what is best for the financial well-being of his practice rather than the client.

Legally, the lawyer's interests and the client's can't be out of step.
Lawyers have a professional and equitable duty not to act in an apparent conflict of interest.

In breach of that duty, they are liable not only to professional sanction (including disbarment), but also to harsh equitable sanctions, including a duty to account to the client for all profits arising out of the conflict.

The law, historically, treats "faithless fiduciaries" more harshly than any other civil wrongdoers.
---
And that is why the age of magic is at an end. {WoT}, Emeritus
#62ClutchPosted 4/8/2013 4:02:37 PM
LuigisBro posted...
would be great for doctors cause we'll get people who actually want to be doctors instead of people who become doctors cause of the money

Also the people who might prefer to spend more time with their family by working a 40 hour a week job instead of the late nights doctors put in.

Good thing the true believer will still be around to pick up the slack. I'm not sure I'd want a surgeon who has been on duty a 80 hours a week for the last six months though.
---
"The historian looks backward; eventually he also believes backward" - F.N.
#63Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 4/8/2013 4:38:06 PM
Where's the honor and prestige in coding up a program to read an excel file from a client and put it in a company specific database that's going to get put on a scheduler and promptly forgotten?
You say this because we live in a society that prioritizes money and resources as the ultimate arbiter of self-worth. In a different world, other things can be prioritized.

Unless this imaginary egalitarian world also provides unlimited time and resources, some clients will still have priority over others. Probably based on who has the better government connections or pays under the table.
No doubt. No current system is perfect. But at least we'd be trying to do something to fix the problem, rather than throwing our hands up and saying, "I give up. Life is not fair and we'll just let random 'fate' determine what's best."

Legally, the lawyer's interests and the client's can't be out of step.
Lawyers have a professional and equitable duty not to act in an apparent conflict of interest

Ideally, sure. In practice, we all know it isn't the case. And being a lawyer, we all have seen how difficult it is to criminally PROVE that a lawyer didn't do what was best for the client.

It would be just as difficult as proving that a CEO would be criminally responsible for a business decision that 'harmed' society.

Also the people who might prefer to spend more time with their family by working a 40 hour a week job instead of the late nights doctors put in. Good thing the true believer will still be around to pick up the slack. I'm not sure I'd want a surgeon who has been on duty a 80 hours a week for the last six months though.
There are plenty of surgeons willing to go 80 hours per week purely for financial motivation. It's a good thing, that most hospitals have policies that require that BAN personnel from going through such shifts, even if he wanted to
---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#64kozlo100Posted 4/8/2013 4:43:12 PM
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...
You say this because we live in a society that prioritizes money and resources as the ultimate arbiter of self-worth. In a different world, other things can be prioritized.

And you say that because you've never written a BS excel parser or a random SQL query.

Seriously though, what value do you want to prioritize that makes folks want to do the tedious gruntwork that any industry needs done? How do you expect to shift to that prioritization?

Presumably you work, yea? What would it take for you to take the hard boring job over the easy interesting one, if not for money?
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#65Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 4/8/2013 4:49:57 PM
Seriously though, what value do you want to prioritize that makes folks want to do the tedious gruntwork that any industry needs done? How do you expect to shift to that prioritization?

Presumably you work, yea? What would it take for you to take the hard boring job over the easy interesting one, if not for money?

'Easy' / boring job = Picking up garbage.
Hard / interesting = Piano virtuoso.

First off, there wouldn't be 'easy' jobs. If something requires less effort, the job would be assigned so that that person would have to spend more time at it to compensate for the effort.

Pay them the same, and you'll still have people that want to be piano virtuosos, and you'll still get the best applicants willing to pick up garbage. But at least this time, the hardest working garbage-men will get to compete against each other
---
#66Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 4/8/2013 4:51:41 PM
You can offer awards and promotions within the organization to those that do such work. Promotions would lead to different tasks. You'd have the chance to do something you want, or manage other people. You can have hierarchy without basing it on income pay
---
#67kozlo100Posted 4/8/2013 5:02:04 PM
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...
You can offer awards and promotions within the organization to those that do such work. Promotions would lead to different tasks. You'd have the chance to do something you want, or manage other people. You can have hierarchy without basing it on income pay

So you want to incentivize people to do the crap job by offering them a chance not to do that job anymore?

I'm thinking people are going to tell you to piss off, and are going to go take that easy entry level job, since it's all going to result in the same quality of life anyway.
---
#68Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 4/8/2013 5:12:38 PM
So you want to incentivize people to do the crap job by offering them a chance not to do that job anymore?
The army and police does that all of the time. Even if pay was equalized, there would be plenty of privates that would work hard and try to get promoted so that they'd never have to take a shift in a dangerous war zone, or a patrolmen wanting to get promoted so that they can become a detective instead.

I'm thinking people are going to tell you to piss off, and are going to go take that easy entry level job, since it's all going to result in the same quality of life anyway.
What makes you think the entry level job will be easy?

Same pay =/= same quality of life. It amazes how many people still don't get that simple concept
---
#69kozlo100Posted 4/8/2013 5:16:42 PM
Methinks the effort to correct all the ways you're not seeing what I'm saying is too high to be worthwhile. I've said what I wanted to, so I'll just let my words stand.
---
#70Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 4/8/2013 5:21:12 PM(edited)
Businesses do this all of the time.

Accountants get paid huge amounts because nobody wants to do it. So do mine workers, and oil rig workers. They get paid huge sums of money to do a job that many people don't want to do. This allows them to retire early and do something else after they've made their money.

The same concept can be applied to honor/promotions rather than pay
---