This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is a bad argument for raising minimum wage

#1jejasinPosted 4/17/2013 10:22:59 PM
http://imgur.com/gallery/N6o1w

Just saw this on facebook.

A person would then conceivably realize that this is what nearly two million people in the United States do every day…at much harder jobs than turning a crank. This turns the piece into a simple, yet effective argument for raising the minimum wage.
---
Literally.
#2CyborgSage00x0Posted 4/17/2013 10:27:34 PM
It's not bad per se, but it's more trying to show that the value of minimum wage is arbitrary and completely within our scope to raise/change as we please.
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2, LoL, Super Mario 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pokemon White 2, NSMB3DS.
#3funkeepickPosted 4/17/2013 10:29:35 PM
Why is it bad? Because it's making a moral argument instead of a purely economic one?
---
"I will never post on 261 again if Ron Paul doesn't get 500 delegates at the very least."
~FPSIreland
#4CC RicersPosted 4/17/2013 11:09:42 PM
CyborgSage00x0 posted...
It's not bad per se, but it's more trying to show that the value of minimum wage is arbitrary

I would agree with that. The only argument I can see defending it is that it somehow fits closely with the break even point of profits. On a corporate level, yeah that can be measured, such as Walmart because their profit margins are low due to the prices they offer. But I can't see how it can be applied to a state-wide level.
---
with Santorum in the White House immoral acts like Sandy Hook and the Aurora Massacre would not have happened. -Bored troll looking to tango
#5Nitro378Posted 4/18/2013 3:58:55 AM
Lol at the number of anti-poor comments in that link, it looks like the neoliberal propaganda machine is working as intended.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#6starjackersethPosted 4/18/2013 9:31:51 AM
...Was there supposed to be an argument in that paragraph?
---
I must know the source!!!
I'm not one for accusations, but, this one's cast iron.
#7JOExHIGASHIPosted 4/18/2013 9:44:58 AM
That is a bad argument

Turning a crank for 8 hours straight is different than being a cashier or flipping burgers.

The crank is physically more strenuous so people value the work higher
---
Discipline is remembering what you want
#8Evil Genius 9Posted 4/18/2013 9:51:16 AM
It's not really an argument, it's just meant to help you understand how s****y the minimum wage is. Even if it was raised to $9, you'd still only get a penny every 4 seconds instead of 5.

---
---
#9jejasin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 10:21:58 AM
It's a bad argument because why don't we just let the machine spit out dollars instead of pennies? People will soon realize that a lot of jobs make far less doing much harder work than turning a crank!

Oh yeah, because turning the crank on the machine isn't an actual job.
---
Literally.
#10starjackersethPosted 4/18/2013 10:22:43 AM
jejasin posted...

Oh yeah, because turning the crank on the machine isn't an actual job.

It used to be, but then it was outsourced.
---
I must know the source!!!
I'm not one for accusations, but, this one's cast iron.