This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I cant imagine any lawyer thinking-

#11the final bahamutPosted 4/23/2013 4:24:30 AM(edited)
Saber_Tiger posted...
Everyone deserves a fair trial, it isn't dishonorable of them but quite exemplary.

This. A lawyer taking his case wouldn't - ideally - be trying to get him acquitted but simply trying to make sure that as fair a verdict as possible is reached. It is a very essential part of our law system that someone stands up for the accused, no matter what. Simply going full witch-trial on a man hated by society is the easy thing to do. Real democracy, fairness and liberty means that sometimes it gotta play hard.

This is one thing that's actually done really well in the new Battleship Galactica, I think.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#12Superlnfinity45Posted 4/23/2013 11:35:22 AM(edited)
the final bahamut posted...
Saber_Tiger posted...
Everyone deserves a fair trial, it isn't dishonorable of them but quite exemplary.

This. A lawyer taking his case wouldn't - ideally - be trying to get him acquitted but simply trying to make sure that as fair a verdict as possible is reached.

That's not exactly it, a lawyer is trying to get as best a verdict as is possible for his own client. He isn't interested in getting a fair verdict in a professional sense.

If I were a lawyer, I wouldn't really have a problem presenting his side and arguing for him. However I would be wary of how interaction with such an individual and inevitable slight bit of "attachment" might affect me personally. Remember however this lawyer will probably be pleading insanity for his client, and in any case they will blame it all on his brother. I highly doubt he'll be executed.
---
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
#13StarDestroyerPosted 4/23/2013 11:37:15 AM
the final bahamut posted...
Saber_Tiger posted...

This. A lawyer taking his case wouldn't - ideally - be trying to get him acquitted but simply trying to make sure that as fair a verdict as possible is reached. It is a very essential part of our law system that someone stands up for the accused, no matter what. Simply going full witch-trial on a man hated by society is the easy thing to do. Real democracy, fairness and liberty means that sometimes it gotta play hard.

This is one thing that's actually done really well in the new Battlestar Galactica, I think.

Fixed that for you. The moment that witch trial went after Adama, it was game over. Especially since they tried to do it on his ship. He was just "lolno."
---
We need Hikaru-X back.
#14IcewitchPosted 4/23/2013 12:00:45 PM
ITT: what is a public defender
---
Current GOTY: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Currently hyping: Dark Souls II
#15Evil Genius 9Posted 4/23/2013 12:23:10 PM
He's already basically confessed; at this point it's just a matter of trying to save his life.

---
---
#16SomerZ7Posted 4/23/2013 12:27:49 PM
Geir Lippestad, the defender for Oslo shooter Anders Behring Breivik, actually released a book about the trial just five days ago. In it, he writes about how friends and even a colleague (as in another lawyer who should damn well know better) refused to talk to him after he took the job, how he received threatening text messages, and how someone graffitied a swastika and the text "Lippestad, we know who you are" in his neighborhood. While most of the public of course understand the need for a defender, there are always some people who just don't get it. And it can get scary as you never know when one of those people decide to get violent.
---
Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse
#17Saber_TigerPosted 4/23/2013 8:49:00 PM
Wasn't future president James Adams the legal defender of the original "Boston Massacre" suspects?
---
~* Please visit board 408-wot War on Terror, the best board on Gamefaqs*~ If you do visit, please be kind, sensible, and not disruptive.
#18Saber_TigerPosted 4/23/2013 8:53:50 PM
*John Adams XDDDD

Would have been better if my original typo was Sam Adams.
---
~* Please visit board 408-wot War on Terror, the best board on Gamefaqs*~ If you do visit, please be kind, sensible, and not disruptive.