This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Vegas switches on 15k solar panels.

#31the final bahamutPosted 4/24/2013 6:34:53 AM
Robazoid posted...
He's the one who acted like he was the smartest person here by 'sticking the solar farms where no one lives' to 'power the world'.

No, that's not what happened. Some dude tried to disparage solar energy by pointing out that you need 4.5 million (which is a big number guys!) solar panels to get the same amount of energy produced by a nuclear power plant. Then theShaman pointed out that you could cover the entire world's energy needs with existing solar panel tech and fit all the panels into an area the seize of Spain, thus showing that even if 4.5 million is a big number, it really isn't an issue in whether or not solar cells are a viable means of energy production.
Then you pretended that solar cells are doomed because you believe a guy on the internet doesn't know how to transfer large amounts of electricity over long distances.

Also, one of things about solar panels as composed to other forms of energy production is that they can be crafted on to other buildings and don't really make a lot of noise, smells or any other form of nuisance.

But what really concerns me about this story is that with the panels so close to Lake Mead, what are their plans to keep it safe from the Lake Mead monster? Also, I've been hearing rumors about something called "Archimedes two". Anything know something about that?
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#32peach freakPosted 4/24/2013 7:08:54 AM
Solyndra!
---
Manny Ramirez *24* 2001-2008
Thanks for the memories man.
#33Ben_GhaziPosted 4/24/2013 8:13:12 AM
GoemonFan471986 posted...
"Alternative energy" is a joke. If I were president I'd cut off all funding for Solyndra and the like and instead invest in our proven homegrown energy resources like coal and oil.

OMG why are you guys still talking about Solyndra? It's such a distraction from the real issues!
---
Why not try a holiday in Libya this year?
#34TheOppositePosted 4/24/2013 8:26:49 AM
I hope none of those 15,000 panels fails. That would be a major headache finding the one that needs replacing, assuming you know it has failed.
#35JabrahamPosted 4/24/2013 8:39:16 AM
TheOpposite posted...
I hope none of those 15,000 panels fails. That would be a major headache finding the one that needs replacing, assuming you know it has failed.

I assume they could track energy collection of each panel individually, and if any stops collecting energy or falls below a certain threshold, they could go check on it. I assume they would label their panels in some systematic way.
---
I ain't trippin cause the truth is really you don't know me.
#36wolf_blitzer85Posted 4/24/2013 8:40:19 AM
Robazoid posted...
Aww, that's cute. The sparkling city in the middle of the desert, epitomizing the very worst of North American wastefulness, is pretending it cares about the environment.

Try shutting Vegas down so that a huge amount of water doesn't have to get pumped in daily just so rich people can have thousands and thousands of pools and maybe then you'll make a real impact.

that's very anti-American capitalism of you.
---
Redcount doesn't even lift and he thinks he's all badass. -- Cynyn
#37I have no namePosted 4/24/2013 8:42:36 AM
Also, I've been hearing rumors about something called "Archimedes two". Anything know something about that?

It's crap. Chucking a grenade does the same damage, except those don't weigh 15 pounds and you can use them more than once a day.

On a serious note I think it's absurd to believe that we couldn't have viable solar power within a century. I find it impossible to accept that with all the progress between 1913 and 2013, TV, nuclear Power, space travel, satelites, the internet, we won't see the same leaps ahead in the next century. Though I'm mostly hoping for a breakthrough with fusion.
---
"My show's not a comedy. It's a horrordy. It's called Blood Dumpster."
"Your pilot gave me nightmares!"
#38YouAreCrumbsPosted 4/24/2013 9:12:22 AM
TheOpposite posted...

This post kind of makes me wish they strung them all up in series like Christmas lights.
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#39LuigisBroPosted 4/24/2013 10:19:02 AM
in 2015 China's gonna be producing 40 GW of solar energy annually while the US is still gonna be debating whether global warming is real
---
2013 megatons - 3DS redesign with no 3D, WiiU flops, DS player for WiiU, no new PS or Xbox, MH4 flops
#40CC RicersPosted 4/24/2013 10:21:14 AM
WileECoyte posted...
15,000 solar panels to generate 3mw of power in Las Vegas to boot. I wish alternate energy people would realize that its just not a feasible technology it would take 4.5 million panels to produce the power of the average nuclear plant.

Nuclear energy IS "alternate energy", genius.

I mean, super genius
---
with Santorum in the White House immoral acts like Sandy Hook and the Aurora Massacre would not have happened. -Bored troll looking to tango