This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really don't understand the passion of gun advocates.

#1nighthawk16Posted 4/23/2013 2:23:41 PM
Look, I like guns. Guns are cool. I don't own one because I happen to live in one of the safest cities in America and I can't be bothered with the investment, but I go shooting with my friends at some of the local target ranges. It's a hobby I enjoy. They make you feel powerful, and there's a competitive flair that comes with gradually improving your skill, being the straightest shot, besting your buddies, honing your accuracy and precision till it gets to the point where you feel confident that with a gun in your hand you can surmount any life-threatening encounter. So I understand that aspect of gun enthusiasts. I can understand the hostile reaction one might have when their hobby, family tradition or what-have-you comes under threat of legislation.

One of my neighbors across the street has a collection of over a 100, and his enthusiasm isn't exactly a rarity. So the dude likes guns. Lots of people like guns. I like guns. But the next part is what escapes me, when he starts trotting out right-wing rhetoric about how their will be all out civil war and insurrection if the government ever comes for his guns, how the 2nd amendment is one of the greatest civil liberties in the history of mankind. What? Okay, so everyone has the right to defend their lives, their property, and their family, with deadly force if need be. That's pretty American, I'm down with that. But this is a guy whose never been a victim of violent crime, in fact doesn't even know anyone whose ever been a victim of violent crime. His passion has no rational justification, it completely transcends his love of the hobby, and becomes more of a fetish than anything.

So maybe it's a tyranny thing. He wants that safety blanket, knowing if freedom ever bites it he and other Americans have some means to fight back. Except he is also a proponent of torture, warrentless searches and wiretapping, indefinite detention of terror suspects, etc. etc. The only freedom he ever really seems to care about is his freedom to own a gun. Everything else is incidental. And I don't understand that. His attitude towards gun control is zero tolerance. Nothing. Nada. No new laws or regulations. Ever. In fact, gun laws should be laxed, rolled back, restrictions lessened.

He's the quintessential, stereotypical "gun nut", as they are derisively called. And his ilk is everywhere in this country. People who talk about insurrection and rebellion as if they are eagerly looking forward to the day, who propose walled-off city states where gun restrictions are non-existent and gun ownership is a requirement. Who treat gun ownership as an act of patriotism, like it is your civic duty to own a gas-powered machine capable of firing small projectiles at high velocities. Cause that's all it is when it comes down to it. A machine, a tool that serves a very specific function. To intimidate. To kill. But their advocacy for guns extends beyond their love of its function, their need of it for their protection and safety. Because the vast majority of gun owners are not victims of crimes, nor are they guerrilla fighters in training. The vast majority of gun owners keep them locked in their house and only take them out every so often for shooting or hunting.

tl;dr there is a vast disconnect in this country between our love for guns, and the role they play in our daily lives. And it is beyond my comprehension. My suspicion is that when it comes down to it, if you strip away all the pretense and rhetoric, the bull**** about fighting the federal government in an unwinnable insurrection, or stopping violent crimes that are never personally encountered, the passion comes down to the sheer love of the power and security that guns offer. Often the illusion of power and security more than anything. It's a psychological need, not an objective or rational one. Does anyone care to dispute this?
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#2Rotten_BurgerPosted 4/23/2013 2:25:31 PM
We do not want to deprive women of their statistically best means of defense against forcible rape, we do not want to be killed in our homes, we would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, etc.
#3Zero_DestroyerPosted 4/23/2013 2:26:26 PM
Rotten_Burger posted...
We do not want to deprive women of their statistically best means of defense against forcible rape, we do not want to be killed in our homes, we would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, etc.

Good job.

Now read his post.
---
The Official Shiek Mainer in SSBB.
I am ZERO! The deck maker o' DOOM!
#4LuigisBroPosted 4/23/2013 2:30:21 PM
Rotten_Burger posted...

women in households with guns actually end up increasing their risk of getting killed by a gun
---
2013 megatons - 3DS redesign with no 3D, WiiU flops, DS player for WiiU, no new PS or Xbox, MH4 flops
#5Rotten_BurgerPosted 4/23/2013 2:36:42 PM
LuigisBro posted...
Rotten_Burger posted...

women in households with guns actually end up increasing their risk of getting killed by a gun

And your point is? That does not imply causation. People who walk end up increasing their risk of tripping and falling compared to those who cannot walk.
#6TreGoodaPosted 4/23/2013 2:37:56 PM
One hypocrite gun advocate doesn't define them all.

Your title is very inaccurate. You imply gun advocates as a group and then talk about an individual that has conflicting opinions on issues.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#7AceVanquishPosted 4/23/2013 2:45:39 PM
*yawn*
---
http://i.imgur.com/imGAY.png
http://lostfacts.net
#8CyborgSage00x0Posted 4/23/2013 2:55:48 PM
*applaud's TC*

You nailed it.
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2, LoL, Super Mario 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pokemon White 2, NSMB3DS.
#9nighthawk16(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 3:17:11 PM
TreGooda posted...
One hypocrite gun advocate doesn't define them all.

Your title is very inaccurate. You imply gun advocates as a group and then talk about an individual that has conflicting opinions on issues.

I wouldn't have cited him if I didn't believe his like didn't hold any sway over the debate. They do. And his hypocricy is only one of degree.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#10JohnnyTHM1212Posted 4/23/2013 3:19:14 PM
As you've much more eloquently pointed out they just be ackin' all cray cray.
---
He can swim through matter, he has poisoned teeth
His tentacles have murdered, his scream can kill the weak