This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

U.S. Child Poverty Second Highest Among Developed Nations

#11fudrickPosted 4/24/2013 11:30:12 AM
TheOpposite posted...
Not being married has some serious consequences. First of all, there's nothing making either person in the marriage stay around, and a lot of times this is what results in the single mother problem we see so often in the projects. Secondly, if one of the two leaves it can eliminate an entire income from that family.

That doesn't mean someone you're married to isn't going to leave, but they're an idiot for doing so or giving you a reason to leave yourself.

No one wins in these situations, and it especially hurts the kids, who so many people seem to neglect in today's world in favor of their own selfish interests.

I'm curious, do you support abortion rights?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#12wolf_blitzer85Posted 4/24/2013 11:42:30 AM
TheOpposite posted...
How many poor people in the U.S. aren't married and keep having children? There is a correlation there. Married couples are much less likely to be in poverty than unmarried couples or single people with children.

This is probably explained by the fact that married couples have a greater chance of having a stable life.

but...but...but... you just upset some liberal arts major who's been taught the direct opposite. And he's 5 years into his Masters Degree and working on his thesis.

btw, quite hillarious how UNICEF uses their formula of 'poverty' to equate the U.S. with 3rd world countries.

Pretty sure access to clean drinking water and a concrete or stable house is much less prevalent in 3rd world countries than the United States.
---
Redcount doesn't even lift and he thinks he's all badass. -- Cynyn
#13TheOppositePosted 4/24/2013 11:46:13 AM
fudrick posted...
TheOpposite posted...
Not being married has some serious consequences. First of all, there's nothing making either person in the marriage stay around, and a lot of times this is what results in the single mother problem we see so often in the projects. Secondly, if one of the two leaves it can eliminate an entire income from that family.

That doesn't mean someone you're married to isn't going to leave, but they're an idiot for doing so or giving you a reason to leave yourself.

No one wins in these situations, and it especially hurts the kids, who so many people seem to neglect in today's world in favor of their own selfish interests.

I'm curious, do you support abortion rights?

No, I do not. I view abortion as the murder of an unborn child, and the "problem" women think they're solving by getting an abortion isn't the real problem.
#14fudrickPosted 4/24/2013 11:49:32 AM
TheOpposite posted...
No, I do not. I view abortion as the murder of an unborn child, and the "problem" women think they're solving by getting an abortion isn't the real problem.

Oh, so the prevalence of single mothers and unmarried parents (which would only increase if abortion were outlawed) isn't a problem? You seem to have changed your tune from this post:

TheOpposite posted...

---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#15TheOppositePosted 4/24/2013 11:56:44 AM
Single mothers are a problem, but the problem is either their fault or someone else's fault, not the fault of the child. Usually it's their own fault. The cases in which it isn't are instances of rape.

The issue here is we have a lot of people in our society who just aren't doing right, whether it be the single mother or the rapist, and killing babies isn't going to solve the problem. It's people who are the problem here, and they need to change.
#16wolf_blitzer85Posted 4/24/2013 12:08:50 PM
TheOpposite posted...
The issue here is we have a lot of people in our society who just aren't doing right, whether it be the single mother or the rapist, and killing babies isn't going to solve the problem. It's people who are the problem here, and they need to change.

I firmly believe that limiting some people in the amount of babies they have would be a good solution.

But how shall we enact such a ........wait for it....... evil Republican poor-bashing law?
(As if all single mothers are poor. And as if all married mothers raise their children to be 100% perfect angels who obey the law every minute of every day.)
---
Redcount doesn't even lift and he thinks he's all badass. -- Cynyn