This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GOP aims to slow federal bullet buys so gun owners can buy more

#1NoName999Posted 4/29/2013 10:12:15 AM
Republicans want to limit the number of bullets federal agencies can purchase so American gun owners can buy more.

Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe and Rep. Frank Lucas have introduced a bill that would prohibit every government agency — except the military — from buying more ammunition each month, than the monthly average it purchased from 2001 to 2009.

The lawmakers say the Obama administration is buying up exceedingly high levels of ammunition in an attempt to limit the number of bullets the American public have access to on the open marketplace.

"President Obama has been adamant about curbing law-abiding Americans’ access and opportunities to exercise their Second Amendment rights," said Inhofe.

"One way the Obama Administration is able to do this is by limiting what’s available in the market with federal agencies purchasing unnecessary stockpiles of ammunition.”

The issue came to the forefront this week as the House Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee held a hearing on it, in which Republicans balked at the bulk levels of ammunition the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has amassed over the years.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/296471-gop-aims-to-slow-federal-bullet-buys#ixzz2RsCm9429

What is this I don't even....

And of course, the one government agency that probably don't need to buy more bullets gets the exception.
---
"This grass feels funny," Kirby thought. It feels like.... pants
#2SpawnShadowPosted 4/29/2013 10:20:48 AM
Further proof that the GOP wants to recreate every post-apocalyptic work of fiction ever made.
---
"Mjolnir: apply directly to the forehead."
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours on end? See quote for details!
#3OfPigsAndZigsFUPosted 4/29/2013 10:21:48 AM
So it's true that the Feds are buying all the ammo and artificially raising demand and prices?
#4Pope_ManadontiPosted 4/29/2013 10:24:19 AM
Seriously, another gun topic?
#5TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/29/2013 10:28:35 AM
OfPigsAndZigsFU posted...
So it's true that the Feds are buying all the ammo and artificially raising demand and prices?

That is not the main reason demand and prices have shot up, a lot of it is the current gun discussion.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#6JIC XPosted 4/29/2013 10:30:19 AM
Your country is seriously crazy, Americans.
---
And that is why the age of magic is at an end. {WoT}, Emeritus
#7Anarchy_JuiblexPosted 4/29/2013 10:36:00 AM
OfPigsAndZigsFU posted...

It's mostly hoarders, otherwise 22lr wouldn't be such a f***ing pain to find and sell out immediately.
#8I have no namePosted 4/29/2013 10:38:34 AM(edited)
This section explains whats really going on:

Democratic Rep. John Tierney (D-Mass.) questioned whether "conspiracy theories" about government attempts to strip American gun owners of their bullets or government plans to stockpile bullets in preparation for a civil war were the driving motivation for the hearing. He pointed to the overwhelming role the blogosphere has played in questioning why DHS needs millions of rounds of ammunition.

"To the extent that we’re responding to conspiracy theories, I think we’re really wasting everybody’s time on that,” Tierney said.

“Unsubstantiated, false conspiracy theories have no place in this committee room, hopefully. Federal ammunition purchases are a fraction of the ammunition market and they’ve been decreasing in recent years,” he said.

The National Rifle Association (NRA) agreed with Tierney, telling its members last year that the high number of bullet purchases was normal for law enforcement agencies and that people should not be paranoid about the government’s intention on this area.

“Skepticism of government is healthy. But today, there are more than enough actual threats to the Second Amendment to keep gun owners busy… there is no need to invent additional threats to our rights,” the gun group wrote.

But lawmakers in conservative states have been hearing from their constituents on the issue relentlessly. So much so that House Appropriations subcommittee chairman John Carter (R-Texas) pressed Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano on the issue earlier this month.

Napolitano’s DHS has born the brunt of the scrutiny from Capitol Hill, as Republicans criticize the department for making bulk purchases of ammunition — which it says are cheaper, at about 25-cents per bullet — and hoarding already purchased rounds.

So to set this story straight:

1. The Department of Homeland Security, a pointless cluster**** of an agency created by the last Republican president that's been corrupt and poorly managed since day one, apparently purchases huge piles of ammunition alongside all the other pointless **** they blow their bloated budget on.

2. Gun nuts have spent months buying every round off the shelf because they're lunatics who think Sandy Hook was a conspiracy to take away their guns. Stupidity prevents them from making the obvious connection between them and all their right-winger buddies hording ammunition and their being less ammunition for sale, so their paranoia assumes it must be that evil fleetfooted president conspiring to take all their ammo.

3. The Republican politicians who represent said delusional morons bow to their will and go along with a conspiracy theory that even the NRA thinks is ****ing stupid, because they know ignoring their unhinged base means losing their position to someone dumber and crazier in the next primary.
---
"My show's not a comedy. It's a horrordy. It's called Blood Dumpster."
"Your pilot gave me nightmares!"
#9JIC XPosted 4/29/2013 10:37:24 AM
Are the Republicans overestimating the market for this kinda thing, though?

I think it's safe to say that Americans generally support responsible gun ownership... But I think this just makes the GOP look like a bunch of loons. Michele Bachmann makes a lot of noise, but she doesn't win elections (well, except for her House seat, but she barely even wins that).
---
And that is why the age of magic is at an end. {WoT}, Emeritus
#10Sniper_BrosefPosted 4/29/2013 10:44:47 AM
JIC X posted...
Are the Republicans overestimating the market for this kinda thing, though?

I think it's safe to say that Americans generally support responsible gun ownership... But I think this just makes the GOP look like a bunch of loons. Michele Bachmann makes a lot of noise, but she doesn't win elections (well, except for her House seat, but she barely even wins that).

My guess is they've received tons of emails about the DHS and other agencies buying ammo and wanted to look like they "tried" in order to satisfy some constituents. Fact of the matter is that gun owners and the eBay mentality, for lack of a better term, are what's responsible for this ammo shortage. Not the government.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.