This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Teen Dies After Being Tortured, Starved at Gay Conversion Camp

#31DragooneerZeroPosted 5/1/2013 10:24:20 AM(edited)
and i never said it was

i'm just saying there's s*** that happens along the same lines in the US and somehow the mormon church is still allowed to fund ventures like this with impunity

t's not like america's immune to s*** just because it's supposedly, in your eyes, gotten over the hump of "human rights abuses"
---
Is there much left to enumerate? What won't idle, well-fed, unfeeling people invent?
http://www.last.fm/user/AniranC
#32RRtexasranger13Posted 5/1/2013 10:47:00 AM
mgtonvac55 posted...
It wouldn't be sensationalist enough that way.

How is the topic title sensationalist and how would adding "in South Africa" made it not sensationalist?

Because it isn't surprising at all knowing it happened in Africa and there is fairly little Americans can do.

In America, nobody expects this kind of stuff to happen, not even the farthest right social conservative nutjobs would support this. Making a topic about it on 261 implies that something new is occurring and most human rights abuses that we talk about are in America or Europe (because those abuses are surprising). Knowing that there gays have a horrid human rights record in Africa isn't really "news," its rather common knowledge.

Not to say that it isn't bad or wrong, but I just don't think we need to spam this board with topics every time a human rights abuse happens in a country where human rights abuses are routine. For instance, I don't think we need a topic about every time a Saudi woman is denied her human rights. There are many things if they happened in Saudi Arabia it wouldn't be newsworthy over there, but it would be very newsworthy over here. If something along those lines happened in America, the discussion would be "who should be voted out of office?"
---
Politics is weird. And Creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality. - Shepard Smith
Rubio 2016
#33Nitro378Posted 5/1/2013 10:51:48 AM
RRtexasranger13 posted...
mgtonvac55 posted...

How is the topic title sensationalist and how would adding "in South Africa" made it not sensationalist?

Because it isn't surprising at all knowing it happened in Africa and there is fairly little Americans can do.

In America, nobody expects this kind of stuff to happen, not even the farthest right social conservative nutjobs would support this. Making a topic about it on 261 implies that something new is occurring and most human rights abuses that we talk about are in America or Europe (because those abuses are surprising). Knowing that there gays have a horrid human rights record in Africa isn't really "news," its rather common knowledge.

Not to say that it isn't bad or wrong, but I just don't think we need to spam this board with topics every time a human rights abuse happens in a country where human rights abuses are routine. For instance, I don't think we need a topic about every time a Saudi woman is denied her human rights. There are many things if they happened in Saudi Arabia it wouldn't be newsworthy over there, but it would be very newsworthy over here. If something along those lines happened in America, the discussion would be "who should be voted out of office?"

It's quicker for you to just say 'I feel less empathy/concern for non-American lives'
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#34NoName999Posted 5/1/2013 11:00:18 AM
Are we really using the "it's expected to happen" excuse.

And considering this board isn't titled "U.S. Politics" yeah, doesn't matter if the human rights violation happened in Somalia. Politics is politics.
---
"This grass feels funny," Kirby thought. It feels like.... pants
#35RRtexasranger13Posted 5/1/2013 11:02:45 AM
Nitro378 posted...
RRtexasranger13 posted...
mgtonvac55 posted...

It's quicker for you to just say 'I feel less empathy/concern for non-American lives'

There's more to it than that though. If something like this happens in America, we can then look at those accountable and see what all needs to be changed. If it happens in Africa, there's not a whole lot we can do. All I can really do is be like "Yeah, that's terrible...I wonder what the Africans are going to do about it."

To put it in another since, it's kinda like the difference between a friend lying to you and a stranger lying to you. I'd be far more upset if my friend lied to me than the stranger that I'll never see again. We've built up a lot of trust in America's civil society, the government, and elected officials (relative Africa, don't freak out there...), so something like this happening would see major backlash as that "trust" would be broken.
---
Politics is weird. And Creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality. - Shepard Smith
Rubio 2016
#36RRtexasranger13Posted 5/1/2013 11:06:46 AM
And considering this board isn't titled "U.S. Politics" yeah, doesn't matter if the human rights violation happened in Somalia. Politics is politics.

If you take the time to read my post, you'd see how useless of a statement this is in response to my post.
---
Rubio 2016
#37Heineken14Posted 5/1/2013 11:13:34 AM
This topic is making me remember the Joker from Dark Knight. It's all part of the plan.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
#38AstralEyePosted 5/1/2013 11:53:53 AM
"There's more to it than that though. If something like this happens in America, we can then look at those accountable and see what all needs to be changed. If it happens in Africa, there's not a whole lot we can do. All I can really do is be like "Yeah, that's terrible...I wonder what the Africans are going to do about it."

To put it in another since, it's kinda like the difference between a friend lying to you and a stranger lying to you. I'd be far more upset if my friend lied to me than the stranger that I'll never see again. We've built up a lot of trust in America's civil society, the government, and elected officials (relative Africa, don't freak out there...), so something like this happening would see major backlash as that "trust" would be broken."

Um...ok. Where's the part where you explained how not being able to do anything about it makes it less sensationalist, because that's a hilariously stupid explanation. This is what happens when you try bend your statements into making some kind of sense, and lose track of what your own point was in the process.

lol
---
You are never alone.
#39mgtonvac55Posted 5/1/2013 11:59:59 AM

So... if people don't specify that it happened in another country in the title it's sensationalist?
---
New York Yankees 16-10
Go Knicks!
#40The moonlight knightPosted 5/1/2013 12:11:35 PM
The flagrant excessive trolling in the early responses to the topic, while par for the course for this board, still piss me off and make me hate this place.

Anyway that is pretty terrible, the story, but as others have pointed out, not mentioning where this happened is an underhanded way to dupe more people into coming in here, thinking this is some huge scandal in America, not a distant, less surprising atrocity in a worse part of the world.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)