This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bush v. Gore, 531 U.S. 98 (2000). The Supreme Court decision that changed the US

#11JIC XPosted 5/1/2013 9:10:46 AM(edited)
Gore couldn't even win his damn home state.
Tennessee electoral votes: 11

Bush won the state, Gore would have won even if Bush lost Florida and Gore won Tennessee.

Bush couldn't even win the damn popular vote!
...Also, if you want to get technical, he was born in Connecticut, which Gore carried.

Oh, and if you want to get more technical, Ralph Nader's percentage of the vote in Florida and New Hampshire was larger than Bush's margin of victory in those states, meaning that Bush only won because of vote splitting.

That's how the game is played, I know, but be not proud, Bush supporters (if any of you still exist). Both of Obama's wins were bigger than Bush's, in terms of states carried, total popular votes, and percentage of the popular vote. Plus he didn't have the advantage of a third-party spoiler like Bush did.
---
And that is why the age of magic is at an end. {WoT}, Emeritus
#12JIC XPosted 5/1/2013 9:18:47 AM
Oh, on the subject of the infamous "butterfly ballot": if Jeb Bush hadn't been governor, Gore would have won Florida and the election.

See, by state election rules, the party of the incumbent governor got top billing on the presidential ballot (in 1996, Clinton's name was at the top of the ballot, because the governor of Florida at the time was Lawton Chiles, a Democrat--Bob Dole lost around 14000 votes because of this).

If Jeb had lost, Gore's name would have been at the top of the ballot and it would have been Bush who got screwed by the shoddy design.
---
#13Nitro378Posted 5/1/2013 9:44:03 AM
paulo_yamato posted...
Nitro378 posted...
The 2000 election was blatantly stolen by Jeb Bush. It was literally rigged.

Bush won the state, Gore would have won even if Bush lost Florida and Gore won Tennessee.

A democrat couldn't win in Tennessee? Shocking. Since Gore won Florida, it's a moot point anyway.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#14JIC XPosted 5/1/2013 9:55:16 AM(edited)
Clinton won Tennessee. Twice!
---
#15CountPopeulaPosted 5/1/2013 10:13:14 AM
paulo_yamato posted...
Nitro378 posted...

The election was so close that Gore could have won any other state in the union and he would have won. So I blame a poorly run campaign more than any shenanigans in Florida for his loss. New Hampshire was winnable for Gore, so was Nevada.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#16Nitro378Posted 5/1/2013 10:15:55 AM
CountPopeula posted...
paulo_yamato posted...
Nitro378 posted...

The election was so close that Gore could have won any other state in the union and he would have won. So I blame a poorly run campaign more than any shenanigans in Florida for his loss. New Hampshire was winnable for Gore, so was Nevada.

Gore literally did win Florida, the presidency was robbed by Jeb Bush.
---
#17paulo_yamato(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 11:21:26 AM
JIC X posted...
Clinton won Tennessee. Twice!

...but...but...the Libs want to stay away from the truth. And they'll continue to but...but... this conversation as long as necessary.

You want to know what a real Inconvenient Truth is? The fact that Gore would have made a terribad president.
---
You see it's been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. The Mohammedan religion too would have been more compatible to us than Christianity. -Adolf Hitler
#18Nitro378Posted 5/1/2013 11:23:51 AM
The fact that Gore didn't win Tennessee means nothing, you're being wilfully disingenuous to pretend that it does, read the link I posted and tell me if you still think the election wasn't rigged. If that had happened in Venezuela Fox News would be ****ing bricks over it.
---
#19CountPopeulaPosted 5/1/2013 11:30:30 AM
Nitro378 posted...
CountPopeula posted...
paulo_yamato posted...
Nitro378 posted...

Gore literally did win Florida, the presidency was robbed by Jeb Bush.

I don't disagree with this. There are two problems, though.

The type of recount they were doing wouldn't have changed the result in Florida. A full recount would have, but they weren't going to do that either way.

The second is, as I mentioned, Gore left at least 20 electoral votes on the table, and he only needed three to win. Had he ran a better campaign, Florida would have been irrelevant. Both Clinton and Obama managed to win enough electoral votes that any one state became irrelevant. Gore could have done the same, but his campaign was kind of a mess. I didn't even vote for Gore, and I love Gore.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#20DJStrongPosted 5/1/2013 11:45:16 AM
Al Gore conceded and frankly him not being president is probably the best thing that ever happened to him.

Forgive my 'meh' towards this issue, I just have zero faith in any political establishment. We may never know exactly what happened in Florida but i'm sure new versions of the 'truth' will abound.
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"