This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Someone help me come up with a thoughtful response to this facebook post

#1Jean_CocteauPosted 5/1/2013 10:28:59 AM
friend posted this :

http://i.imgur.com/bIPSQ24.png

I said that he sounds like a conspiracy theorist, what with the "media are all selling lies and propaganda" and the random inclusion about fluoride

he posted this freaking thing:

read Patricia Crone's 'Pre-Industrial Societies" and there are some themes about how empires ran that are strikingly similar to the things this picture brings up - so no, not a conspiracy theory.

And one of those things include having control of framing events in a way that is in line with its interest. U.S. interests aren't for the benefit of the American people or people around the world, they're for the elite. So classifying something as "terrorism" when it is - if you're taking the perspective of social justice - actually resistance, is in line with U.S. interests. And if not actively trying to frame something, then actively trying to keep Americans ignorant about it.

I know it's hard to believe that our government is doing this stuff. But consider the fact that it funded and trained the Salvadoran military to fight against leftist guerrillas, leaving tens of thousands dead, and making hundreds of thousands of people flee to the United States; and upon arrival the U.S. denied them - us - the same refugee status that it had given Cubans and Vietnamese? Why? Because of the Cold War, it would've looked bad on the U.S. to be giving refugee status to a population whose country it was supposedly "saving" from the communists by funding its military and government. So hundreds of thousands of people were left undocumented. It makes political sense that the U.S. government did it, but that doesn't make it humane or just.

---
kimbra the white lion
#2DragooneerZeroPosted 5/1/2013 10:31:55 AM(edited)
i mean what he's saying is pretty undeniably historical fact, and you don't need to be a conspiracy theorist (even though he definitely is) to know that terrorism is an empty buzzword label that's more politically than semantically useful.
---
Is there much left to enumerate? What won't idle, well-fed, unfeeling people invent?
http://www.last.fm/user/AniranC
#3jejasinPosted 5/1/2013 10:36:55 AM(edited)
>Comes to 261 for a reply so that he doesn't lose an argument

Just don't try...conspiracy theorists convince themselves that these things are true and arguing about it on FB will not change their mind. I guarantee it.
---
Literally.
#4tbspVIPosted 5/1/2013 10:38:18 AM
People who say stuff like "the media sells you propaganda and lies" are nuts. What, do they think fox news, cnn, npr, nytimes, the nation, etc are all in secret collusion with the government whose job it is to "fool the american people"?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUyFZUKo6u8
Check back often for new vids!!!! =D
#5Rad_DudesmanPosted 5/1/2013 10:42:07 AM
People who say stuff like "the media sells you propaganda and lies" are nuts. What, do they think fox news, cnn, npr, nytimes, the nation, etc are all in secret collusion with the government whose job it is to "fool the american people"?

>Comes to 261 for a reply so that he doesn't lose an argument

Just don't try...conspiracy theorists convince themselves that these things are true and arguing about it on FB will not change their mind. I guarantee it.

This.

I see this crap on /pol/ all the time. There really is no arguiing with these people.
#6CC RicersPosted 5/1/2013 10:43:56 AM
I would just reply with: "so much confirmation bias".
---
with Santorum in the White House immoral acts like Sandy Hook and the Aurora Massacre would not have happened. -Bored troll looking to tango
#7Jean_Cocteau(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 11:55:56 AM(edited)
the thing is he's never struck me as being a conspiracy theorist, just a really progressive social justice kinda guy

also he chose that el salvador example because he's salvadoran
---
kimbra the white lion
#8ryan0991Posted 5/1/2013 12:03:57 PM
"please wake up"

I wish he said that first so I could have stopped reading immediately.

the thing is he's never struck me as being a conspiracy theorist, just a really progressive social justice kinda guy

If he's fear mongering about fluoride, then he's a conspiracy theorist.

And I agree with everyone else on this. Just let it go. People like that just have their views get even stronger when they meet opposition. They feel vindicated when people disagree with them.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#9mgtonvac55Posted 5/1/2013 12:05:17 PM
What the f*** is television? Is it that thing old people watched in the 90's?
---
New York Yankees 16-10
Go Knicks!
#10Jean_Cocteau(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 12:24:37 PM
ryan0991 posted...
People like that just have their views get even stronger when they meet opposition. They feel vindicated when people disagree with them.

I know people like that. Trust me, this guy isn't one of them.
---
kimbra the white lion