This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RAPE CULTURE: UCONN's husky logo promotes rape

#31TBW4EverPosted 5/2/2013 2:52:36 PM
Orca posted...
TBW4Ever posted...
Ouijagraph posted...
ITT: Male privilege. v_v

Y'know it might be because while I'm very supportive of feminism I'm just not seeing the connection between changing the logo and promoting rape culture so perhaps I'm missing something.

You are missing something;

Villain_S_Fiend posted...
The author of that article misunderstood the girl's sentence. She wasn't saying the logo frightened young women, she mockingly referenced the tame look of the logo, then said that the real face of the athletics program (not that of the tame wolf) is one of misogyny and so forth.

And what school's going to have a logo that says "hey everybody we have rape issues"? By all means we should be calling the school out on its rape culture, I just think that targeting the logo's a silly way of making the point.
#32KavatarPosted 5/2/2013 2:53:59 PM
The original letter was silly, but was Rush Limbaugh seriously complaining about one person being able to have a large influence? How many people listen to his BS daily?
---
theblast (Posted 7:30:02 PM): Dare I ask what a meatspin is
theblast (Posted 7:31:06 PM): Oh dear god. Clearing private data... now.
#33fudrickPosted 5/2/2013 4:08:03 PM
Ouijagraph posted...
ITT: Male privilege. v_v

Yeah, too bad all these guys get the privilege of not being able to understand something
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#34JimayoPosted 5/2/2013 4:14:21 PM
Kavatar posted...
The original letter was silly, but was Rush Limbaugh seriously complaining about one person being able to have a large influence? How many people listen to his BS daily?

Way too f***ing many.
---
261 - More troll food per square inch than any other board on the net.
#35BAZYNGAPosted 5/2/2013 4:18:12 PM
Kavatar posted...

Not as much as those who watch garbage like MSNBC
#36The Great Muta 22Posted 5/2/2013 4:25:09 PM
Villain_S_Fiend posted...
The author of that article misunderstood the girl's sentence. She wasn't saying the logo frightened young women, she mockingly referenced the tame look of the logo, then said that the real face of the athletics program (not that of the tame wolf) is one of misogyny and so forth.

But what's stupid about it is disparaging the logo to highlight the problems within this program. School logos are simply brands to identify the school, and to attack it with the idea "Well it should highlight this problem in this program" is dumb. Raising awareness and introducing the problems that are involved in many levels of college athletics is important but to cast judgement over the entire school due to an, albeit major, issue specific to a certain sect of students does nothing for anyone. It is stupid.
#37JennDoombringerPosted 5/2/2013 4:26:08 PM
Kwancahi posted...

Wait...so when you look at what this woman actually said, instead of an absolute, deliberate misinterpretation designed to whip up anti-feminist sentiments, her statement becomes far more reasonable? Color me shocked.

---
I'm Jenny. I bring Doom http://tinyurl.com/3kedgar http://tinyurl.com/c76lev2
http://tinyurl.com/bsuhd58 http://tinyurl.com/cmq2b3n http://tinyurl.com/9r4amzr
#38bfslick50Posted 5/2/2013 6:58:26 PM
Chocobo985 posted...
So she was criticizing Uconn ( which from what I understand has a legitimate rape problem. They have a trail at the school the students dubbed "the rape trail") and someone misinterpreted it as saying the actual logo promotes rape?

I certainly hope that's the case because if you see anything resembling rape in that logo you got bigger problems than patriarchy.

I went to UConn, I never heard of an actual case of rape on that trail during the 4 years I was there, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's a trail to one of the dorms that cuts through the woods and a cemetery; it can be quite intimidating if you're traveling it alone at night.
---
"Something's wrong! Murder isn't working and that's all we're good at." ~Futurama
#39Chocobo985Posted 5/2/2013 7:24:35 PM
bfslick50 posted...
Chocobo985 posted...
So she was criticizing Uconn ( which from what I understand has a legitimate rape problem. They have a trail at the school the students dubbed "the rape trail") and someone misinterpreted it as saying the actual logo promotes rape?

I certainly hope that's the case because if you see anything resembling rape in that logo you got bigger problems than patriarchy.

I went to UConn, I never heard of an actual case of rape on that trail during the 4 years I was there, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's a trail to one of the dorms that cuts through the woods and a cemetery; it can be quite intimidating if you're traveling it alone at night.

I believe it, I always figured it was more of a joke because of how spooky it was; haven't been on campus everything I know is just little things I've picked up from friend who either go there or partied there; and I should have mentioned that in my post; sorry about that
---
There's room for only one Snake, and one Big Boss!- Liquid
#40Faust_8Posted 5/2/2013 8:04:58 PM
That was so stupid I want to go form an insanely popular band named Rape Culture.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while