This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Study: 75% of Muslims are against suicide bombings, 85% "women should obey"

#51CharliesixPosted 5/4/2013 7:17:01 AM
angermngment101 posted...
so 60% of Americans are bad people? Because that's how many Americans continue to believe that the mass bombing of Japanese civilians was justified.

Yes. I guarantee most of them are republicans, therefore that makes a lot of sense.

You're right. The Gallup poll says that 87% of male Republicans supported the mass killing of Japanese civilians, versus 63% of male Democrats.

60% of female Republicans and 37% of female Democrats support it too.
#52atmasabrPosted 5/4/2013 7:18:33 AM
Dude, Republicans only make up about 1/3 of the US population. Add the Democrats to the Independents who are supportive and you will have a majority.
---
Do your own research!
#53CharliesixPosted 5/4/2013 7:28:35 AM(edited)
I didn't think you'd be right at first, but I looked at the Pew data and you may be right. Only 28% of Americans identify as Republicans, nearly 35% for Democrats and 33% for independents

http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/03/party-affiliation-and-election-polls/

That being said, earlier polls say that only 20% of Americans identify as liberal, 40% are conservative, and 40% as moderate. I'd be surprised if that 20% of liberals were the bulk of the "pro-civilian killing" crowd.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/141032/2010-conservatives-outnumber-moderates-liberals.aspx
#54angermngment101Posted 5/4/2013 8:42:56 AM(edited)
I didn't think you'd be right at first, but I looked at the Pew data and you may be right. Only 28% of Americans identify as Republicans, nearly 35% for Democrats and 33% for independents

I am "independent" on my voter registration, but a democrat at heart. You can call me a left leaning moderate.

I claim "independent" because a party can change, and if it does in such a way that I am unhappy, I dont have to be a part of it.

If I were a republican, and the tea party became the real republican party, id vote democrat every time.

---
Gamefax
#55bsballa09Posted 5/4/2013 11:18:37 AM
Denver_REXcos posted...
bsballa09 posted...
But how does that excuse suicide bombing civilians and subjugating women?

What are you asking? Are they logically not expected to retaliate in some form or another, including suicide bombing, and just meekly clasp their hands and hope the useless UN or something can protect them from misery? How does 9/11 excuse a ground invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq costing billions (or was it trillions) of dollars?

Furthermore, what moral high ground are you standing on where airstrikes that murder thousands of civilians are somehow less heinous than a suicide bombing?

Excuse

Verb
Attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

Noun
A reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.

So you're defending and justifying suicide bombing civilians and subjugating women?
---
Lololol @ the Seahawks choking.
#56CharliesixPosted 5/4/2013 2:41:37 PM
i found this interesting article on suicide bombing, it's from Army.mil (US Army website)

http://www.army.mil/professionalWriting/volumes/volume4/november_2006/11_06_1.html

It says that suicide bombing in Islam is a relatively new phenomenon, and came out of the Iranian Revolution.

One interesting part is how it links back to what I was saying about the atomic bombings of Japan:

This use of violence in the name of Islam did not, however, include suicide bombing.30 Fadlallah's [spiritual leader of Lebanon's Hezbollah] understanding was more in line with that of Khomeini, Sadr, and the other revolutionary clerics of the time. He would need other sources of inspiration to develop a sound theological argument to permit suicide bombing.

Shi'ism recognizes reason as a source of Islamic jurisprudence.31 this tradition paved the way for Fadlallah's theological justification of suicide bombing. As did Khomeini, Fadlallah subscribed to the notion that any means was justified when fighting in defense. This was an extraordinary notion, but one shared by many. According to Abdulaziz Abdul Hussein sachedina, "When unbelief threatens the existence of faith . . . even customary rules of warfare may be suspended."32 Fadlallah asserted that this belief was not so different than one held by many in the West. According to Fadlallah, the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, with their vast tolls of human life, were examples of the belief by many that desperation justifies the use of weapons not customarily accepted as normal in warfare.

The article seems to say that Hezbollah was the first group to really begin the suicide bombing tactic for Muslims, and that the leader of Hezbollah was apparently partially inspired by the American mass killings of Japanese civilians in WW2. Fascinating.
#57itchytasty96Posted 5/4/2013 3:08:49 PM
There's a lot of Muslims, so if 1% want to suicide bomb someone that's a lot of potential bombings.
---
They have escaped into the mansion...where they thought it was safe...yet