This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you believe in global warming?

#81Tw1L1ghtSparkl3Posted 5/6/2013 11:33:03 PM
^Apparently blackspider has never heard of the first climate gate, hacked emails of climate scientists collaborating to falsify the data to make it alarming.

Also apparently doesn't understand the concept of agenda driven science in general, that people falsify data to suit their needs such as commonly for climate study and for instance vaccination links to autism.

Bad science is bad, get informed.
---
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.10
#82lastheroPosted 5/6/2013 11:39:51 PM
^Apparently blackspider has never heard of the first climate gate, hacked emails of climate scientists collaborating to falsify the data to make it alarming.

You know, even ignoring that this incident was grossly exaggerated - so what? You're talking about a small group of scientists in one place. The support for climate change is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that. Even if these guys were as unscrupulous as you wish they were, that hardly proves anything. You'd be hard pressed to find a single scientific field that doesn't have some instances of bad practice.

that people falsify data to suit their needs such as commonly for climate study and for instance vaccination links to autism.

Nice try, but this is, also, a stupid comparison. The autism thing started in a single crap paper that's been debunked forever. The science saying that autism is linked to vaccination is nowhere near as strong or varied as the studies on climate change. It's not even close.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#83Faust_8Posted 5/6/2013 11:49:26 PM
If you can find a single still-credible link between autism and vaccines, I'd love to hear it.

Because so far it just looks like you're just repeating what you heard from a former Playmate.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#84black spiderPosted 5/7/2013 12:14:20 AM

Sure I have. But there are several reasons why climategate was rubbish.

1) It wasn't a world-wide conspiracy so why aren't we getting different results from those who weren't part of the process? By the way, it wasn't even a conspiracy, because people who conspire at that level would've taken steps to hide "damning evidence", such as emails openly talking about any form of data manipulation.

2) It also didn't lead to big oil suddenly being able to own the heck out of all ACC-proponents. Why not? If it had in fact been scientifically significant, it would've killed ACC right then and there. Bit it didn't, did it? Did big oil get out-PR'd by egghead fundies, since obvious data tampering wasn't enough to kill the alarmist myth? Or did the "tampering" turn out to be quite a lot less significant than what it sounds like to laymen?

3) Data fitting is not actually the same as tampering with the date. When working with large sets of data, you quite often have to either correct for some mistake here or there or some assumptions that don't fit in with what you're currently trying to find out, or simply fit the available data to the model you're trying to use. Just about anyone with a degree in a field that involves quantitative data collection would know this. Apparently you don't.

Also apparently doesn't understand the concept of agenda driven science in general, that people falsify data to suit their needs such as commonly for climate study and for instance vaccination links to autism.

And you don't think big oil has the resources to check the data? You don't think they've got their own experts desperately clawing through everything that happens in climate science, hoping to find some way to discredit the idea that driving around in SUVs might have an effect on global temperatures?

Bad science is bad, get informed.

I quite agree. But since certain people obviously have a hard time understanding science, I intentionally made my case about behavior instead. It's not that I'm unable to discuss the science in general detail, but I much prefer to make a much simpler case that also has the benefit of being quite hard to refute.

It takes an expert to come to an accurate assessment of what the existing evidence tells us about climate science. Neither of us qualify as such an expert. The fortunate thing is that big oil does in fact have such experts so even if you or I might not know exactly what the score is at this particular moment, you can be quite sure the big oil executives do. And you don't have to be much of an expert to look at their reaction to what is currently known.

Strange, isn't it? The scientific validity of ACC is in fact confirmed by the lack of a proper scientific response from big oil.
---
You want to try your hand at proving why genocide is inherently bad? - OrangeWizard
#85Heineken14Posted 5/7/2013 4:18:50 AM
Wormy has posted on at least 3 different account in this topic.....
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
#86Nirvna9Posted 5/7/2013 2:10:59 PM
I love how the trolls never actually respond to Bahamut and just pick at the other hanger-on's in the topic. Seriously though, you give me hope for this board Bahamut.
---
We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of the thunder. We danced amongst the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.
#87Evil Genius 9Posted 5/7/2013 2:27:16 PM
Once again, jasten completely locks up when you ask him to provide the actual "studies" he's read and any sort of independent analysis, because he hasn't actually read any studies and couldn't do any analysis on his own anyway. What he's actually read are garbage right-wing sites that talk about "studies" and intentionally misinform people about them. All he does is regurgitate a couple of one-line blurbs.

---
Every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid.
-- Dave Chappelle
#88ChiTownPridePosted 5/7/2013 2:28:43 PM
sure I think it's probably happening, but none of the proposed fixes are worth it.
#89methosagainPosted 5/7/2013 2:30:14 PM
No, I believe in GCC but not specifically in Global Warming
---
Law of the universe states the strong shall survive and the weak fall by the way, I don't give a damn what idealistic plan is cooked up, nothing changes that
#90SSJ2SorakaPosted 5/7/2013 2:41:32 PM
Another example of agenda driven research: When the likes of Hillary Clinton and Jack Thompson tried so hard to link violent video games with violent behavior.
---
Playing: Soraka, Morgana, Quinn