This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anonymous threatens to "attack" US government and banks.

#1cnekansPosted 5/6/2013 7:18:51 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/opusa-hackers-attacks-may-7_n_3225901.html

A collective of hacker groups plans to attack the websites of major government agencies and banks on Tuesday to protest American foreign policy. For weeks, the groups, which include Anonymous, have used social media to publicize their planned operation, dubbed "#OpUSA." In a post on the file-sharing site Pastebin, one member of Anonymous laid out an ambitious list of targets, including the websites of the White House, the Defense Department, the FBI, Bank of America and Chase Bank.

“Anonymous will make sure that this May 7th will be a day to remember,” another post from Anonymous said, adding the planned attacks are meant as a response to "multiple war crimes" committed by the United States in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

In the past, however, Anonymous has hyped plans to launch coordinated attacks but ended up having little impact, security experts say. Last month, Anonymous launched #OpIsrael, which promised to “wipe Israel off the internet.” That operation was "a total failure," Ronen Kenig, director of security solutions for Radware, told The Daily Beast last month.

Tuesday's planned operation still has the U.S. government's attention. The Department of Homeland Security issued an alert last week warning about the event that "likely will result in limited disruptions and mostly consist of nuisance-level attacks against publicly accessible webpages." Hackers based in the Middle East and North Africa plan to participate in the attacks targeting U.S. government, financial, and commercial institutions, according to the DHS alert, which was first reported by the security blog Krebs on Security.

---
Nighttime261 OG *is ncsnake**Hidden Samurai*
"[he's] got 99 problems and they all involve b*****s"- I Like Toast
#2Pogo_MarimoPosted 5/6/2013 7:22:46 PM
Great, I can practically smell the Martial Law from here.
---
The user formerly known as an artist formerly known as Pogo_Marine92
http://www.last.fm/user/Pogo92
#3RandomActofFailPosted 5/6/2013 7:22:52 PM
Attacking websites...

*yawn*
---
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George
#4Steel_ShadowsPosted 5/6/2013 7:24:29 PM
So while Anonymous goes and attacks government websites, I suppose that will give Congress all the more reason to not try to push more Internet regulating bills. <_<
---
Games are like women, they don't have to be smokin' hawt to make me happy.-Mr_X_Returns
Member of the IRDC, where everything's a dirty joke.
#5yXvScootalooQwzPosted 5/6/2013 7:26:48 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6Xeno14Posted 5/6/2013 7:27:04 PM
anonymous does nothing. laughs at press reaction
---
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Xeno14/X14/1245103916870.gif
#7bsballa09Posted 5/6/2013 7:38:31 PM(edited)
In other words, "We'll bring down low traffic government websites for a few minutes and declare victory!"
---
Lololol @ the Seahawks choking.
#8Zero_DestroyerPosted 5/6/2013 7:41:30 PM
The fact they can literally sway the stock market by hacking twitter accounts is terrifying
---
The Official Shiek Mainer in SSBB.
I am ZERO! The deck maker o' DOOM!
#9theAteamPosted 5/6/2013 7:52:42 PM
http://xkcd.com/932/
---
"There were those in the village who were happy chopping wood, those who were content carrying water, but to be the Sandwich Maker was very heaven."
#10chaos knightPosted 5/6/2013 8:33:14 PM
Steel_Shadows posted...
So while Anonymous goes and attacks government websites, I suppose that will give Congress all the more reason to not try to push more Internet regulating bills. <_<

If Anonymous ever does any real damage, you can bet a CISPA on steroids will pass Congress unanimously. Of course, if they do actually inflict real financial damage somehow, it might be time to make punishment for hacking in the future far more serious.
---
Seattle sports, yo