This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dalton, GA use to be the carpet capital of America. They used illegal labor. Now

#1XoarWinsPosted 5/27/2013 12:26:10 PM
It's bit then in the ASS because of the downturn in the economy

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/us/in-carpet-capital-of-the-world-housing-fallout-continues.html

“That’s our heritage, our history,” Ms. Cochran said. “We are a nonunion, hard-working manufacturing community.” That should be attractive to other kinds of industries.

And the next generation of workers in this city of more than 33,000 are going to be well-positioned for what she calls “the new global marketplace.” The children of the immigrants — some of whom were once bused in from Mexico to work in the mills — are growing up. Hispanics make up the largest population of students at Dalton High School. Add in the German immersion program and you have a diverse, bilingual pool of potential workers, Ms. Cochran said.

Still, the days when someone with no education could walk into a plant and get a job as a yarn creeler are gone. The companies need engineers and people with other technical skills, so they are starting the training early.

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/12/dalton-georgias-latino-face-is-changing-again/

Middleton, who left his mayoral post years ago, says Dalton’s carpet factories were aggressive about courting Latinos to the town.

“The carpet mills would go and send trucks to pick them up from Texas at the border and bring them back here,” he told CNN. “It just fit. It was a situation where this community had to reach out somewhere. I understand the criticism. You want them to come over legal, but with the demand of work, there just wasn’t that time to do that.”

Discuss.
---
type the word gamefaqs into google and enjoy learning something for the day.
#2YouAreCrumbsPosted 5/27/2013 12:32:32 PM
let the free market solve it?
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#3XoarWins(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2013 12:35:36 PM
It's quite disgusting the mills used hundreds of illegals and were never punished under Bush or Obama.

Sounds like we'll let the new immigration laws decide it.
---
#4atmasabrPosted 5/27/2013 12:36:15 PM
I don't like to discuss a topic without hearing the topic poster's opinion first.

If you wish to maintain neutrality, perhaps you could explain why your topic is an important one and what you think the key issues are.
---
Do your own research!
#5atmasabrPosted 5/27/2013 12:39:01 PM(edited)
Bah! Never mind.

To be honest I'm not interested in reading the rest of the article and the citation you posted is too incomplete for me to understand the point.

This story does not concern me.
---
Do your own research!
#6XoarWins(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2013 12:50:12 PM
atmasabr posted...
I don't like to discuss a topic without hearing the topic poster's opinion first.

If you wish to maintain neutrality, perhaps you could explain why your topic is an important one and what you think the key issues are.

topic title+ first sentence: Dalton, GA use to be the carpet capital of America. They used illegal labor. Now it's bit then in the ASS because of the downturn in the economy

main point: Dalton, GA bit in the ass because of the downturn in the economy
premise: using illegal labor contributed to the city's decline
implied reasoning: That having a tax base of illegal labor, carpet mills with questionable employment practices, and being a 'one trick pony' of a town all contributed to a very harsh decline when the economy went downhill.

Final point: Towns that are based on one industry are already shaky, but having a poor tax base of taxpayers is a double whammy when businesses cannot pay as much business taxes.
---
#7flacodiabloPosted 5/27/2013 1:39:05 PM
I was under the assumption illegals came to the USA and had to hold honest American employers at gun point to hire them.
Does this mean that illegal immigrant work output is a noticeable percentage of the American economy?
And why is the GoP focusing its efforts at stopping illegals when if they were honestly concerned about illegal immigration they would focus thier efforts at the companies that hire illegals.
It's almost as if the GoP is focusing its effort on illegals to pander votes from racists instead of actually fixing anything.
That can't be the case though.
#8EltoniaXPosted 5/27/2013 3:02:47 PM
now its bit then in the ass bold
---
you have some extreme mental instability issues- Lmaokai
I'm a mobile fountain triangle!
#9XoarWins(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2013 6:49:03 AM
EltoniaX posted...
now its bit then in the ass bold

yes my spelling is horrible in the morning.
bit them in the ass is what I meant to say.

I do wonder how so many illegals get into this country and work for years undetected?
Couldn't terrorists do the same thing????
---
#10OrgeLambartPosted 5/29/2013 8:06:33 AM
that's the real problem the Government need to go after these businesses that hire illegal workers, if you remove the incentives for them to give the work to illegals, they will in turn offer those jobs back to Americans.

It's sad because a lot of people still think most illegals work for 2 dollars an hour doing some work no other human being would want to do. Which couldn't be further from the truth. They are making 7 - 12 dollars an hour, paying zero in taxes and doing jobs that up until about 10 years ago were loaded with Americans.

It's pretty sad most people don't know the real story of what's going on, but instead focus on the actual illegal person themselves, instead of the employer hiring them.