This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should 'In God We Trust' be removed from U.S. currency?

#1XoarWinsPosted 6/15/2013 5:04:29 AM
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/sep/11/chain-email/taking-god-we-trust-coins-was-debunked-years-ago/

I'm of the mind that using IGWT is proclaiming a religion onto the United States.

http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx
but just in case someone doesn't know the history of IGWT, after the Civil War they began using it on coins. It didn't appear on currency until 1964.
---
Thy Lord, thy God, of Bacon, has spoketh! http://vocaroo.com/i/s0QvbJ3ILT7F
#2aarrgusPosted 6/15/2013 5:19:45 AM(edited)
Yes it should be and Christians should want it removed too.

Why? Because the courts ruled that the phrase has ôlost through rote repetition any significant religious content". Either the phrase actually means something and it should be removed or it gets to stay and be a meaningless statement to our society. Real Christians should want it removed and not deemed a rote expression.
---
Last night I was lying in bed, staring at the stars, and I wondered... Where the **** is my roof?
#3RickMoranisPosted 6/15/2013 5:20:53 AM
What a weird thing to care about. Who gives a f***. Shame on attention seeking atheists and theists alike for arguing over such things.
---
Moranis 3:16 says I just shrunk your ass!
#4I have no namePosted 6/15/2013 5:27:55 AM
RickMoranis posted...
What a weird thing to care about. Who gives a f***. Shame on attention seeking atheists and theists alike for arguing over such things.

Translation: "I can't actually come up with a justification for how 'In God We Trust' isn't a flaming endorsement of religion or how the singular 'God' could ever possibly be inclusive of beliefs with multiple or no gods, so I'm just gonna claim the people pointing this out are petty and whiny and refuse to actually address any of their points."

Has anyone ever seen anyone ever defend this motto with any argument aside from some variation of "DURR HURR STUPID WHINY ANGSTHEISTS!"?
---
http://i.imgur.com/Tr4BTML.png
#5Mr HangmanPosted 6/15/2013 5:30:44 AM
It's a minor issue, but there's no question that it should go. I don't know whether it's strictly speaking a violation of the establishment clause, but the spirit of the law is certainly to separate church and state in every way possible.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#6fudrickPosted 6/15/2013 5:35:50 AM
I have no name posted...
Translation: "I can't actually come up with a justification for how 'In God We Trust' isn't a flaming endorsement of religion or how the singular 'God' could ever possibly be inclusive of beliefs with multiple or no gods, so I'm just gonna claim the people pointing this out are petty and whiny and refuse to actually address any of their points."

Has anyone ever seen anyone ever defend this motto with any argument aside from some variation of "DURR HURR STUPID WHINY ANGSTHEISTS!"?

I don't think Rick was defending the motto. I think he was essentially just saying... well... "What a weird thing to care about. Who gives a f***."

Frankly, I'd tend to agree.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#7XoarWins(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 5:37:42 AM
RickMoranis posted...

Ad hominem attack.
---
Thy Lord, thy God, of Bacon, has spoketh! http://vocaroo.com/i/s0QvbJ3ILT7F
#8IvynnPosted 6/15/2013 5:45:38 AM
I have no name posted...
RickMoranis posted...

As an atheist, I find it really hard to care. I mean, no I don't believe it should be there, but so what if it is? It's harmless and most people ignore it. There are so much more important things going on that I can't help but think of anyone who gets hot and bothered by it as whiny and petty.
---
http://i.imgur.com/vDci4hD.gif
#9RickMoranisPosted 6/15/2013 5:50:57 AM
I have no name posted...
RickMoranis posted...

No really, why even care? Does your fiat currency having the word God on it hurt you? Will it hurt christians if it is not there?

Who gives a s***?

Oh right, attention starved atheists who want to feign outrage. And now the trolled christian masses are going to try to defend something that doesn't matter, shame on you all.

It's on the money already, so leave it. If this is an issue for anyone they need to get their f***ing priorites straight.
---
Moranis 3:16 says I just shrunk your ass!
#10wolf_blitzer85Posted 6/15/2013 6:09:01 AM
"In God We Trust"
Which one?
GOD (Christianity)
G-d (Judaism)
Allah (Islam)
Brahman (Hinduism)
Buddha (Buddhism)
etc...
---
Making products we sell around the world, stamped with 3 proud words, Made in the USA!' - Barrack Hussein Obama II