This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should hiring based off being related to some one be illegal?

#1macten5150Posted 6/16/2013 11:35:32 AM
I think it should be illegal for some of these 19 and 20 year old people to get nice high paying county/city jobs just because their dad happens to work there and got them in.

Doesn't that seem a little unfair? It's already illegal to hire some one based off their religion or color..shouldn't it also be illegal to hire some one JUST because they're related to you?
---
even a blind squirrel gets a nut
#2Superlnfinity45Posted 6/16/2013 11:36:54 AM
Only if an illegal immigrant applied for the same job and was turned down.
---
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
#3ImperialDragonPosted 6/16/2013 11:51:10 AM
You're not going to make something as fundamental to human society as "connections" illegal.
---
EMPTY [IIIII-----] FULL
The WTF!?-o-meter is currently... Normal
#4Nitro378Posted 6/16/2013 11:59:25 AM
ImperialDragon posted...
You're not going to make something as fundamental to human society as "connections" illegal.

No, though of course if you could you should
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me
#5bfslick50Posted 6/16/2013 11:59:28 AM
Depends on the job. In general I'm in favor of the merit system.
---
"Something's wrong! Murder isn't working and that's all we're good at." ~Futurama
#6RamboCell29Posted 6/16/2013 1:43:27 PM
What about family businesses? I do not believe any legislation is needed here.

But I see what you are saying. Nothing like hearing the story of that guy you knew in college who graduated with a 2.1 in communications ending up in a 55k/yr job. The same company who his dad worked for for many years hired him.
---
Don't support the destruction of gaming. Don't buy an Xbox One.
#7DJStrongPosted 6/16/2013 1:45:29 PM
Let us break down your thoughts:

I think it should be illegal for some of these 19 and 20 year old people to get nice high paying county/city jobs just because their dad happens to work there and got them in.

Well who is the criminal, the son/daughter for accepting, or the mother/father for offering. Does the parent have to actually extend the offer or would this count if they happen to work in or around the same offices ie: My dad's buddy Pete got me into accounting etc.. (would Pete also be a criminal?)

Of course your example sounds fairly specific, maybe you were passed over for a good job? That sucks but it happens.

Doesn't that seem a little unfair?

I suppose, but I would not begrudge someone for seizing the opportunity. I would be surprised to meet anyone who has not networked in a way that has not included family members/friends

It's already illegal to hire some one based off their religion or color..shouldn't it also be illegal to hire some one JUST because they're related to you?

The 'just' part is interesting, if you started a business and your brother-in-law needed a job wouldn't you hire him (say as a custodian or data-entry) 'just' because? Maybe you wouldn't I honestly would and would not appreciate being a criminal for it personally. Never mind if your BIL was a gifted engineer and you wanted to secure his services, even if an equally qualified person applied would you really want to force people into a situation where they cannot have the choice?

Now if you wanted to make a law about hiring re: qualifications that is another bag of worms and would greatly discourage some hires (if every job needs experience how the hell do you get it?)

There are ramifications for nepotism that exist that I for one feel are adequate enough and would not necessitate the creation of a new criminal class (many business have rules in place already, of course they get ignored from time to time but my point still stands).

So if you are serious about legislation in regards to nepotism and hiring I would like to hear a little more on your thoughts, thanks.
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"
#8troIlingPosted 6/16/2013 1:48:13 PM
No, what the ****?

You guys are insane.
---
:/
http://i.minus.com/ibsBvCB77gduGW.gif
#9StartrekkyPosted 6/16/2013 1:49:52 PM
Yes. One shouldn't be at a disadvantage (or advantage) in terms of social mobility simply because of who he or she is born to. Now, of course, people will say that it's unrealistic, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make that a reality.
---
With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. --Picard
#10DJStrongPosted 6/16/2013 1:53:39 PM
Startrekky posted...
Yes. One shouldn't be at a disadvantage (or advantage) in terms of social mobility simply because of who he or she is born to. Now, of course, people will say that it's unrealistic, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make that a reality.

Step one being?

I understand the sentiment but enforcing such laws would be a bigger fools errand than the war on drugs. The War on Nepotism, I can see the Ken Burns documentary now...
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"