This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question for libertarians re: discrimination and private organizations

#1General_JumaPosted 6/18/2013 5:31:50 PM
why is it that you support the rights of private groups to discriminate but not that of the government? I don't understand a substantial difference like I can with most libertarian positions in regards to government/private business(even if I disagree with most of them).
---
You forgot "Daenerys going to Westeros? Yeah, that's 100% going to happen." Brett8
#2Nitro378Posted 6/18/2013 5:33:17 PM
because gubmint is evil while private enterprise only has our best interests at heart, clearly
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me
#3Nitro378Posted 6/18/2013 5:39:27 PM
i'm sorry, disregard I suck ****s, I'm s***posting right now, I'm in a really bad mood about the future and my future and inequality and politics and etc
---
#4blacktrancePosted 6/18/2013 5:44:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5blacktrancePosted 6/18/2013 5:48:19 PM
Not a libertarian, but I'll answer anyway. You want your tax dollars to be used as efficiently as possible, which means no racial discrimination in government - just like if you were to open a business, you yourself would not discriminate, as it would be inefficient. However, a private business can be as inefficient as its owner wants (though if it's too inefficient, it'll lose money). People have some measure of control over the government, but a private business is owned by its private owner(s), not "the people".
Said differently, racial discrimination is bad, but because no one has the right to be hired/served by a private business, it can discriminate. But the government isn't private.
---
"With enough brutal force the thieving rabble can be kept in line." - Rebelscum
#6SirThinkALotPosted 6/18/2013 8:44:16 PM
blacktrance posted...
Not a libertarian, but I'll answer anyway. You want your tax dollars to be used as efficiently as possible, which means no racial discrimination in government - just like if you were to open a business, you yourself would not discriminate, as it would be inefficient. However, a private business can be as inefficient as its owner wants (though if it's too inefficient, it'll lose money). People have some measure of control over the government, but a private business is owned by its private owner(s), not "the people".
Said differently, racial discrimination is bad, but because no one has the right to be hired/served by a private business, it can discriminate. But the government isn't private.

To add to that: The government can(and did) force people to discriminate, even if they would rather not. But if a business(say a restaurant) owner puts up a sign that says 'no blacks,' he cant do anything to stop you(or anyone else) from moving in next door and opening a similar restaurant that allows anybody in.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#7TaiIs82Posted 6/20/2013 5:44:35 AM
Gamefaqs can ban me for any reason, and it should stay that way.
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009
#8Nitro378Posted 6/20/2013 3:38:39 PM
TaiIs82 posted...
Gamefaqs can ban me for any reason, and it should stay that way.

Then why do you complain about it so much?
---
#9TaiIs82Posted 6/21/2013 9:20:24 AM
Besides the fact that anything the current government touches becomes worse...

If someone invites me to dinner and then spends the night telling me how he doesn't like my race, and tells me I should leave after I speak up, I can say his views are wrong, yes? I can complain about it all I want. But I'm on his property, and just because he's a racist doesn't mean I get to call the police and tell him he has to let me stay the night there, or else.

Now, China invokes sovereignty all the time when it does questionable moves. People are invoking Syrian sovereignty as the reason the west can't intervene there. Why does sovereignty apply to authoritarian regimes, but not the free market and respectable businessmen?

When it comes to companies, I can put up private pressure or I can go elsewhere. There are plenty of other options. I don't believe in using the federal government to solve every little personal dispute.
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009
#10RedcountPosted 6/21/2013 7:28:41 PM
Because I have a stake in government. As a Canadian, as a taxpayer, I have a stake and a say in how I want the government to operate. I don't think the government should discriminate, nor do I think businesses should discriminate. But while every Canadian is part of Canada, not every Canadian is part of every business.
---
"Does the pool boy is also a millionaire?" - RodrigoErwin