This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Zimmerman Jury Chosen: All Women, 5 White, 1 Hispanic

#51CountPopeulaPosted 6/20/2013 6:22:37 PM
SaveTheWhalers posted...
Beyond a reasonable doubt. That's your burden to prove your baseless allegations, liberals. Good luck.

It's actually not. Because Zmmerman is claiming self defense, he's admitted his guilt and the burden of proof is on the defense to show that it was justified. Although in this case that burden is a preponderance of the evidence.

It's called an affirmative defense.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#52FunWithAFryPanPosted 6/20/2013 7:07:36 PM
CountPopeula posted...
SaveTheWhalers posted...
Beyond a reasonable doubt. That's your burden to prove your baseless allegations, liberals. Good luck.

It's actually not. Because Zmmerman is claiming self defense, he's admitted his guilt and the burden of proof is on the defense to show that it was justified. Although in this case that burden is a preponderance of the evidence.

It's called an affirmative defense.

Maybe someone could clarify to be certain but yeah, with an affirmative defense you must prove your own innocence.
---
He who strikes with meaning is killed by meaning.
#53FunWithAFryPanPosted 6/20/2013 7:15:16 PM(edited)
Slim_CTAS posted...
FunWithAFryPan posted...

No. The article talked about how the jury reflected the demographics of the population. That's blatantly false. THAT is the premise of this thread.

You are apparently entirely unfamiliar with the TC's personal background as well has his attitude toward the Zimmerman situation. Yes, he was complaining the article was wrong, but that's not the point of the thread. The reason he's pointing out this article is to highlight this dishonesty already taking place in the media as an illustration of broader public attitude.

Kg believes this trial is going to be a racist sham and that Trayvon was essentially lynched and the system is going to allow it.

I'm not reading too much into this, either, he's said all of this many, many times on here.

Once again, the race of the victim is a pretty good predictor when guessing the outcome of a criminal trial. And *hint hint* it's not good if you're a minority.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_C._Baldus

This is what I am referencing by the way. I am admittedly extrapolating a bit too much and the data wasn't as broad as I remember but in 2000 murder cases defendants were 4.3 times more likely to be convicted if their victim was white.
---
#54Sativa_RosePosted 6/20/2013 7:13:02 PM
The odds of 6 random people all being female in Florida are 1.367%
---
Not changing my signature until Canadian citizen and marijuana legalization activist Marc Emery is released from U.S. federal prison.
#55FunWithAFryPanPosted 6/20/2013 7:16:06 PM
Sativa_Rose posted...

Okay but that's not really relevant considering the jury selection process isn't random.
---
#56OMGWTFPIEPosted 6/20/2013 7:16:41 PM
The odds that Zimmerman is found guilty of murder are 0%, no matter what jury is selected. The only reason this even went to trial is because this case became a national story.
---
Maybe it's time you looked at yourself and stop blaming life on someone else. ~Blink 182
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090602.gif
#57ca36gtpPosted 6/20/2013 7:21:45 PM
The idea that proportionality based on any sociological factors is inherently ideal is a fallacy in the first place. This is a non-story.
---
Politics social board/IRC: http://freeblago.forumotion.com
#58Knightgee(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 7:32:14 PM
And yet you're here, complaining about the non-story, instead of giving your much valued time and expertise to another topic.
---
So sick of immature cynicism masquerading itself as radical politics.
#59bfslick50Posted 6/20/2013 7:48:14 PM
Sativa_Rose posted...

You're actually not that far off. The odds are 3.51% (24C6 / 40C6). That's probably not random chance so it's pretty safe to say that one or both of the sides specifically didn't want men on the jury.

OMGWTFPIE posted...
The odds that Zimmerman is found guilty of murder are 0%, no matter what jury is selected. The only reason this even went to trial is because this case became a national story.

Do you really have that much faith in our justice system? By stating 0% you are asserting that our justice system is perfect.
---
"Something's wrong! Murder isn't working and that's all we're good at." ~Futurama
#60DAM 1Posted 6/20/2013 7:56:39 PM
Zimmerman is toast.
---
Osama Bin Laden: World Hide N' Seek Champion 2001 - 2011
"I herp, therefore I derp"