This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Flash floods hit major Canadian city. Evacuations ongoing. 100k affected.

#1SparksfanboyPosted 6/21/2013 10:27:57 AM(edited)
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/20/floods-wash-away-roads-in-canmore-close-trans-canada-highway-and-trigger-emergencies-across-southern-alberta/
Torrential rains and widespread flooding throughout southern Alberta on Thursday washed out roads and bridges, sent residents scurrying for safety, and delivered up surreal scenes of cars, couches and refrigerators just floating away.

The RCMP put out a call for help to the Canadian Armed Forces, which sent in two helicopters and a Hercules aircraft to help extract people stranded by water.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement saying the federal government would offer “any and all possible assistance to the Province of Alberta in response to the situation.”

Ron MacDonald surveyed the waters of the Elbow River rising quickly in front of his home in Calgary’s Mission neighbourhood on Thursday, a storm drain disappearing, inch by inch, under the muddy brown current.

“I’ve been here 23 years and I’ve never flooded, but my neighbours have. It could be worse than the last flood,” said Mr. MacDonald, one of thousands of residents currently under mandatory evacuation order, as the city prepared on Thursday night for water levels that have not been recorded in decades.

Officials said as many as 100,000 people in low-lying neighbourhoods could be forced from their homes, an evacuation that would take place in stages over the next few days. Residents may not be able to return to their homes for up to one week, officials said. Up to date evacuation orders can be found here.

“Is this going to be a very significant event in the City of Calgary? Absolutely,” said Bruce Burrell, director of the Calgary Emergency Management Agency

This is really scary stuff... JICX made a post about it on another board. Apparently he's been evacuated.
---
Proverbs 22:16 "A person who gets ahead by oppressing the poor or by showering gifts on the rich will end in poverty."
#2RobazoidPosted 6/21/2013 10:36:04 AM
The funny thing is, I work in downtown Calgary where a bunch of roads in are out and my building is three streets from the river, and I just called my boss and he said that I have to come in today.

I guess I'm going to have a fun evening.
---
**R.O.B.A.Z.O.I.D**
#3Sparksfanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 10:37:09 AM
That sucks man. Stay safe.
---
Proverbs 22:16 "A person who gets ahead by oppressing the poor or by showering gifts on the rich will end in poverty."
#4Jayjs20Posted 6/21/2013 10:44:48 AM
Curious, since I've never lived or been in a city that's been flooded before. Can you, like, swim to your neighbor's house? When the flood goes away, are there fish lying on your front lawn? If you're one of those people with a boat in your drive way, could you use it to move around?
---
http://www.satirealley.com/images/Anime/anigif4.gif
#5StarDestroyerPosted 6/21/2013 10:45:25 AM
After seeing how bad it is in Calgary. I for one will not be complaining about all the rain we've had this past week.. Stay safe Rob, the weather network is saying that all people should avoid the downtown core area. I hope everything turns out alright for JICX.
---
weed killed my whole family. And most of them only tried it once. -Dmilla_Alt
#6NegiSpringf1eldPosted 6/21/2013 10:53:40 AM
Terrifying. Stay safe.

Is this unprecidented in any way?
---
"Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
I'm looking forward to the next Pokemon movie." ~ Team Rocket Elite
#7Nitro378Posted 6/21/2013 10:55:16 AM
Jayjs20 posted...
Curious, since I've never lived or been in a city that's been flooded before. Can you, like, swim to your neighbor's house? When the flood goes away, are there fish lying on your front lawn? If you're one of those people with a boat in your drive way, could you use it to move around?

As for swimming in it you probably wouldn't want to since floodwater usually picks up sewerage water as it goes, along with mud, dirt, and everything else that can be washed away, when it floods back out again it leaves brown stains on everything, and I think strongly you wouldn't want to touch or swim in it.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me
#8RobazoidPosted 6/21/2013 11:01:53 AM
I'm too far from the river for this flood to hit me, but about fifteen years ago in my neighborhood all the sewers got clogged with leaves and a huge rainstorm flooded the street for about an hour.

I definitely swam around for about ten minutes, but it was super cold.
---
**R.O.B.A.Z.O.I.D**
#9RobazoidPosted 6/21/2013 11:55:54 AM
Well just as I was walking out the door, my company called and said I should go in. I'm actually halfway disappointed because I wanted to see the flooding
---
**R.O.B.A.Z.O.I.D**
#10Sparksfanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 9:18:56 PM
So did you end up making into work? How was the view?
---