This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nurse refuses to administer CPR

#1_DH19CM_Posted 6/24/2013 11:36:29 PM
http://healthland.time.com/2013/03/04/listen-nurse-refuses-to-give-cpr-to-dying-woman/

-Against company policy
-87 year old woman where administering CPR would most likely have crushed the **** out of her causing WAY more legal issues
-Daughter who is also a nurse was satisfied with the course of action and most likely understood everything more than the people who say it was horrible (dont know why in the article they surrounded the word 'satisfied' with ' "s')

Why again were people kicking up a big fuss over this?

Seriously this dispatcher on the phone sounds like a self-righteous condescending *****
#2RobazoidPosted 6/25/2013 1:05:27 AM
WTF is this article? Maybe CPR can break ribs? Maybe? If it doesn't, I don't think you're doing it right.
---
**R.O.B.A.Z.O.I.D**
#3GoTQuotesPosted 6/25/2013 1:29:35 AM
It is magic of the drowned god. Better left unused. Turn to Rh'llor for all your bringing back the dead needs.
#4ForsakenHermitPosted 6/25/2013 2:20:42 AM
Anybody else think of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Newman refuse to give the crazy pool boy mouth to mouth?
---
"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is barbarity." -Robespierre
#5mystic belmontPosted 6/25/2013 5:33:31 AM
Wait, if they are nurses, why would it be company policy to call 911 and wait for them to come and help?
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#6master_gamr1231Posted 6/25/2013 6:45:14 AM
Well, my CPR instructor told us that administering CPR is the most important regardless of unwanted side effects. He said that if you're doing chest compressions and hear something crack, just keep going. Ribs can heal, but if you can't get oxygen to the person's tissues they're dead regardless. Good Samaritan laws are there to protect CPR providers against any possible backlash.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#7_DH19CM_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2013 5:17:48 PM
Wait, if they are nurses, why would it be company policy to call 911 and wait for them to come and help?

It was at a nursing home or assisted living type of facility not a hospital.

Like stated, they assist with their living, its not a place where they provide active treatment. Its supposed to mimic living at home as close as possible.

Well, my CPR instructor told us that administering CPR is the most important regardless of unwanted side effects. He said that if you're doing chest compressions and hear something crack, just keep going. Ribs can heal, but if you can't get oxygen to the person's tissues they're dead regardless. Good Samaritan laws are there to protect CPR providers against any possible backlash.

That sounds incredibley stupid to me. The problem with these things is that a lot of those CPR instructors are often just volunteer, beach life guard or personal trainer type who has no real medical experience from what i have seen
#8Zero_DestroyerPosted 6/25/2013 5:19:26 PM
_DH19CM_ posted...

That sounds incredibley stupid to me. The problem with these things is that a lot of those CPR instructors are often just volunteer, beach life guard or personal trainer type who has no real medical experience from what i have seen

Uh, well, that's how CPR works. The point is broken ribs are better than being dead and if you're applying the force needed, yeah, you'll probably be breaking ribs.
---
The Official Shiek Mainer in SSBB.
I am ZERO! The deck maker o' DOOM!
#9Sativa_RosePosted 6/25/2013 5:20:17 PM
I was disgusted when I heard about this. That nurse is, in my eyes, evil. Also, I'm guessing that the reason the daughter said it was okay was because she's also a nurse and probably a union member, and she doesn't want to risk her career by speaking out against the behavior of another union member.
---
Not changing my signature until Canadian citizen and marijuana legalization activist Marc Emery is released from U.S. federal prison.
#10YouAreCrumbsPosted 6/25/2013 6:12:39 PM
Sativa_Rose posted...
I was disgusted when I heard about this. That nurse is, in my eyes, evil. Also, I'm guessing that the reason the daughter said it was okay was because she's also a nurse and probably a union member, and she doesn't want to risk her career by speaking out against the behavior of another union member.

Too obvious, Sativa
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011