This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who's narrating the Zimmerman trial for you?

#1Pope_ManadontiPosted 7/5/2013 8:46:00 AM
I've got Greta van Susteren on my screen with a bunch of legal experts, and they're saying the defense has won this already. Obviously, they were careful enough to pick a black legal expert pro-Zimmerman.
---
Barbecue.
#2StarksPosted 7/5/2013 8:47:26 AM
Zimmy's gonna walk or get a very short manslaughter sentence. Whatever happen, he'll lose everything in the civil suit.

There's no speculation anymore.
---
Cast your vote: Wii U_U vs $_$hield
#otchat ~ Accept no substitutes ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
#3Pope_Manadonti(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:11:32 AM
Starks posted...
Zimmy's gonna walk or get a very short manslaughter sentence. Whatever happen, he'll lose everything in the civil suit.

If he's considered innocent on the criminal trial, can he be tried again on a civil court? doesn't this violate the bis in idem principle?
---
Barbecue.
#4Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/5/2013 10:18:59 AM
Pope_Manadonti posted...
Starks posted...

If he's considered innocent on the criminal trial, can he be tried again on a civil court? doesn't this violate the bis in idem principle?

Yes. Same thing happened to OJ... Although Florida law is different, if I recall correctly, in where if Zimmerman declares bankruptcy he won't have to pay his civil suit losses. Something like that anyway...
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#5Pope_Manadonti(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:22:54 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Pope_Manadonti posted...
Starks posted...

Yes. Same thing happened to OJ... Although Florida law is different, if I recall correctly, in where if Zimmerman declares bankruptcy he won't have to pay his civil suit losses. Something like that anyway...

My point is that can't be tried twice for the same case. If he's considered "innocent" in self-defense grounds, he is not liable to a civil suit. A civil suit will only be possible if he is convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Obs: I have a law degree in Brazil, i know common law is different but these general principals are the same I believe
---
Barbecue.
#6Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/5/2013 10:25:07 AM
Pope_Manadonti posted...

My point is that can't be tried twice for the same case. If he's considered "innocent" in self-defense grounds, he is not liable to a civil suit. A civil suit will only be possible if he is convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Obs: I have a law degree in Brazil, i know common law is different but these general principals are the same I believe

Well wasn't OJ acquitted and then sued in civil court and lost? Granted, I think there was "new evidence" in the civil suit.
---
#7Pope_Manadonti(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:31:16 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Pope_Manadonti posted...

Well wasn't OJ acquitted and then sued in civil court and lost? Granted, I think there was "new evidence" in the civil suit.

Ah, I dont remember this specific case tbh, but "new evidence" could certainly be used as ground for a civil suit. These celebrity show trials are always very "unusual" to say the least... th e intense media coverage adds a huge amount of pressure to the judge, the witnesses, and the jury, who might feel compelled to follow public opinion, which in turn is being manipulated by the press themselves.
---
Barbecue.
#8Pope_Manadonti(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:36:18 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/07/05/zimmerman-trial-is-already-over/
---
Barbecue.
#9Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/5/2013 10:40:05 AM
Pope_Manadonti posted...
Ah, I dont remember this specific case tbh, but "new evidence" could certainly be used as ground for a civil suit. These celebrity show trials are always very "unusual" to say the least... th e intense media coverage adds a huge amount of pressure to the judge, the witnesses, and the jury, who might feel compelled to follow public opinion, which in turn is being manipulated by the press themselves.

You don't remember the OJ Simpson case? Oh boy! Well Here's this in case you're curious but the general consensus was that he was gulty and then the verdict came and shocked everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case
---
#10Pope_Manadonti(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:42:51 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Pope_Manadonti posted...

You don't remember the OJ Simpson case? Oh boy! Well Here's this in case you're curious but the general consensus was that he was gulty and then the verdict came and shocked everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case

I remember the general story around O.J's case. His lawyer, Johnny Cochran, pulled the performance of a live time.
---
Barbecue.