This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Irish. The "Forgotten White Slaves"

#1mammerjammer0Posted 7/5/2013 1:21:33 PM
Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.”

Martin writes how at the hands of the British, the Irish population plummeted due to the slave trade of the 17th century.

“During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, [Oliver] Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.”

Martin goes on to explain that for some reason, the Irish slaves are often remembered as ‘indentured servants.’ However, in most cases during the 17th and 18th centuries, they were no more than “human cattle.”

“...the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period,” writes Martin. “It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.”

During the late 1600s, writes Martin, African slaves were far more expensive than their Irish counterparts - Africans would sell for around 50 sterling while Irish were often no more than 5 sterling.

Further, the treatment of Irish slaves was thought to be more cruel than that of African slaves. If an Irish slave was beaten by their owner, it wasn’t considered to be a crime.

The Irish were further exploited when the British began to “breed” Irish women - or girls, sometimes as young as 12 - with African males.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-the-forgotten-white-slaves-says-expert-John-

wow I didn't know that
---
It isn't what you wear that makes you look good
It's how you wear it that makes it look good B)
#2IvynnPosted 7/5/2013 1:33:50 PM
Oliver Cromwell was a total scumbag and what he did in Ireland was tantamount to genocide.
---
http://i.imgur.com/vDci4hD.gif
#3mammerjammer0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 1:39:13 PM
The British are the ones who love to hate on America for their slavery when theyre the ones who brought all the slaves here! Not to mention every where else!
---
#4hunter_gohanPosted 7/5/2013 3:28:23 PM
This will make the next time I conquer The Celtic Isles as Ireland that much sweeter :)
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#5mammerjammer0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 8:32:58 PM
:D Well said
---
#6WhiskeyDiskPosted 7/5/2013 8:56:58 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7hunter_gohanPosted 7/5/2013 9:08:49 PM
WhiskeyDisk posted...
isn't it telling that the Irish in America picked themselves up when all was said and done and got on with their lives rather than spending generations b****ing about their great-great-great-grandfather's mistreatment?

Some of it may have to do with just plain old not knowing about it. I'm Irish and this is the first I'm hearing of it. Though I'm not sure how far back in America my Irish side goes.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#8mizukage2Posted 7/5/2013 9:21:16 PM(edited)
WhiskeyDisk posted...
isn't it telling that the Irish in America picked themselves up when all was said and done and got on with their lives rather than spending generations b****ing about their great-great-great-grandfather's mistreatment?

but you'll never hear about all that when politicians and pundits use things like the CRA to race-bait.

It probably helps that they ceased to be slaves sooner and also ceased to be discriminated against sooner.

But hey, why let little facts like having longer to heal get in the way of thinly veiled racist comments on how 'telling' it is that white people moved on from adversity while black people can't get over it.
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#9WhiskeyDiskPosted 7/5/2013 9:36:04 PM(edited)
WhiskeyDisk posted...

but you'll never hear about all that when politicians and pundits use things like the CRA to race-bait.

It probably helps that they ceased to be slaves sooner and also ceased to be discriminated against sooner.

But hey, why let little facts like having longer to heal get in the way of thinly veiled racist comments on how 'telling' it is that white people moved on from adversity while black people can't get over it.

or maybe the irish didn't have generations of "well meaning" white folk telling blacks how oppressed they were and creating a self-fulfilling victim mentality in an entire group of the population for political gain.

also, i see no facts in your post, only wild speculation and feigned moral indignation.
---
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/MrWhiskeyDisk/animatedLockStockand2final_zps2a994938.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ........lol, Mods!
#10SephirothSamaPosted 7/5/2013 9:46:32 PM
In our political climate now, pointing out any whites as being slaves anywhere is a moot point and more than likely never happened, actual history be damned. It just doesn't fit with the agenda for harnessing more votes by fake sympathy.
---
"Then I'll put it another way. I'm clever, and you are unspeakably stupid!"- Takuan
The Official Fëanor fanboy.