This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

House Votes Down Amendment Allowing Non-religious Military Chaplains

#1NoName999Posted 7/6/2013 11:07:37 AM
The House rejected a Democratic proposal today to allow non-religious military chaplains to serve non-religious service members. According to Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), “nearly a quarter of people serving in the military are non-religious, but under current law, spiritual advisors must be appointed by religious organizations, like the Catholic Church,” The Hill reports.

Polis’s proposed amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act would have allowed “nontheistic” organizations to appoint military chaplains to serve non-religious soldiers. “What my amendment would simply do is allow chaplains who are certified or ordained, secular humanists and ethical culturalists or atheists, to also be able to support the brave men and women who serve in our military,” Polis said.

Last week, Rep. Rob Andrews (D-NJ) proposed a similar amendment to the House Armed Services Committee. The idea behind both proposals is that non-religious military members in the field deserve to have an advisor or counselor to consult, just as religious service members do. And they argue that going to a mental health professional for guidance has such a stigma in the military that members would likely face discrimination for doing so.

“Going to a mental health professional is a choice that is laden with risk and some controversy for a member of the service. Going to a faith advisor is not,” Andrews said. But many Republican representatives were offended by the proposals. Rep. John Fleming (R-LA) said Andrew’s proposal would “make a mockery of the chaplaincy,” The Huffington Post reported last week.

“They don’t believe anything. I can’t imagine an atheist accompanying a notification team as they go into some family’s home to let them have the worst news of their life, and this guy says, ‘You know, that’s it – your son’s just worms, I mean, worm food,” Rep. Mike Conaway (R-TX) said, completely ignoring the actual suggestion, which was to give non-religious service members in the field someone to go to for counsel, while also, conveniently, denigrating those who do not believe as he does.

Rep. Adam Smith (Wash.), the top Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee said that atheists and humanists do have strong belief systems, which “they value just as much as Christians value theirs,” according to The Huffington Post. “To say that an atheist or humanist doesn’t believe anything is just ignorant,” Smith said. “The response to the gentleman’s amendment makes me feel all the more the necessity of it.”

The GOP-majority House rejected Polis’s amendment today in a 150-274 vote. Republicans unanimously voted against it, along with 44 Democrats.

http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2013/06/14/house-rejects-chaplains-for-non-religious-military-service-members/

Imagine if this was Christian chaplains being voted down.

Conservatives would be throwing a fit. Fox News will have roundabout coverage of this and trying to pin this on Obama.

Rush Limbaugh will have to take more pills just to stay angry about this.

Glenn Beck would have continued barking like a dog

Sean Hannity will foam at the mouth saying this country is a Christian nation

The conservatrolls here be crying "same thing both sides" every 5 because of it.
---
"This grass feels funny," Kirby thought. It feels like.... pants
#2Brett8Posted 7/6/2013 11:09:46 AM
It's a purely spiteful decision, not to mention a complete slap in the face to nonreligious servicemen and women.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Brettyb16
#3Genesis DragonPosted 7/6/2013 11:21:15 AM
NoName999 posted...
“They don’t believe anything. I can’t imagine an atheist accompanying a notification team as they go into some family’s home to let them have the worst news of their life, and this guy says, ‘You know, that’s it – your son’s just worms, I mean, worm food,”

How utterly ignorant and offensive. When are we going to hear him walk back his statement and claim he has atheist friends?

Haha, of course that won't happen. No one's gonna make him walk back this statement.
---
Politics is weird. And creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality. -Shepard Smith
#4BeantownHeroPosted 7/6/2013 11:21:55 AM
Trolls gonna descend on this topic EASY. Better believe I'm tagging this
---
Google stock holmes syndrome, before you further show ignorance- beatbyagirl
#5SouthernfatmanPosted 7/6/2013 11:29:22 AM(edited)
Republicans being spiteful, a******, hypocrites again? No way!

Trolls gonna descend on this topic EASY. Better believe I'm tagging this

And everyone here will feed them and then make the topic go 200+ posts while crying about so many trolls.
---
Because I want to FIT IN!
Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?
#6goatthiefPosted 7/6/2013 11:36:28 AM
Hold on let me get the popcorn.
---
Number of goats grabbed: 102
Number of alpacas grabbed: 1
#7YermomHoudiniPosted 7/6/2013 12:26:59 PM
I don't get it, what does a non-religious military chaplain do?
can't they go to buddhist chaplain for non-religious?
---
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Master Ninja - Level 1 Dragon Sword run, no UT/ninpo/item, open chest
http://goo.gl/OENWJ
#8AcidReduxPosted 7/6/2013 1:19:13 PM
YermomHoudini posted...
I don't get it, what does a non-religious military chaplain do?
can't they go to buddhist chaplain for non-religious?

Do chaplains speak of nothing but God? Or do they speak of a wide variety of ethical and moral topics within the framework of their faith? Hint: It's the latter. As much as some theists would like to claim the monopoly to it, you can have ethical and moral frameworks that don't necessitate a deity, and you can have questions and varying opinions about different matters within the same general framework.

As to the other thing, and setting aside everything wrong with it, you mean the singular Buddhist chaplain in the entire US military? Is the military suddenly enabling everybody who wants to just go to him regardless of where they are, or vice versa? (There are apparently two now.)

Speaking of Buddhism, it's a good example of why an expansion is so necessary. The only reason the first Buddhist chaplain was able to get the job was because he was originally a Baptist and completed the appropriate seminary program from an accredited school. There might be such a program for Buddhism now, but no other non-Abrahamic religion has a program the military will accept despite any interest in such services.
#9Sir WillPosted 7/6/2013 1:42:43 PM
Disgustingly ignorant drivel....
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#10765351Posted 7/6/2013 1:43:23 PM
It's literally impossible to have a non-religious chaplain.
---
http://i.imgur.com/51k3UQQ.jpg http://i.imgur.com/DFXeEey.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pQBmc9B.jpg http://i.imgur.com/HITrFIo.jpg