This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Egypt have the right to block Suez Canal or make it unoperable?

#1Mr_Red_HerringPosted 7/6/2013 10:44:49 PM
Does Egypt have the right to block the Suez Canal, destroy it, or pick and choose which countries may pass? - Results (57 votes)
Egypt can choose who may pass, block the Canal, or destroy it completely
45.61% (26 votes)
Egypt can choose who may pass only
1.75% (1 votes)
Egypt can choose who may pass, block the Canal, but not destroy it
8.77% (5 votes)
The Suez Canal belongs to the world
29.82% (17 votes)
Only the United States and Israel control the Suez Canal
14.04% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Al Gore once said that the Amazon Rainforest belongs "to the world" which sparked outrage in Latin America, particularly Brazil.

Egypt might philosophically have sovereignty over the Suez Canal, but in reality it is "owned" (for lack of a better word) by the United States, the United Kingdom, and the nation-state of Israel.
---
http://tinyurl.com/mr-red-herring
#2Sativa_RosePosted 7/6/2013 10:50:29 PM
Egypt should be able to do whatever they want with it. I doubt our Nobel Peace Prize winning Constitutional Law Professor President would allow it to happen though; he'd threaten anyone who would even attempt such a thing.
---
Not changing my signature until Canadian citizen and marijuana legalization activist Marc Emery is released from U.S. federal prison.
#3FairModPosted 7/6/2013 10:53:09 PM
They should do what they want if it is within their area. If you dont like it, then get yourself an army and take it from them.
#4mizukage2Posted 7/6/2013 10:54:32 PM
They certainly have the right to try, but then political-economic reality will ensue and they will get curb-stomped by someone.
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#5PatPunchhardPosted 7/6/2013 11:05:00 PM
Mr_Red_Herring posted...
Al Gore once said that the Amazon Rainforest belongs "to the world" which sparked outrage in Latin America, particularly Brazil.

Egypt might philosophically have sovereignty over the Suez Canal, but in reality it is "owned" (for lack of a better word) by the United States, the United Kingdom, and the nation-state of Israel.

The Suez Canal was nationalised in the 1950s, buddy and before that it was owned by the French and the British.

Egypt is bound by the Constantinople Convention allowing free use of the canal during war and peace but they've blocked Israeli shipping in the past and obviously Britain closed the canal to the Axis during World War II when they stilled owned it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/wdVqOHJ.gif
http://i.imgur.com/vhnweBp.jpg
#6RandomActofFailPosted 7/7/2013 6:12:43 AM
mizukage2 posted...
They certainly have the right to try, but then political-economic reality will ensue and they will get curb-stomped by someone.

---
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George
#7Mighty_PelicanPosted 7/7/2013 9:35:03 AM
The antisemitism ITT is appalling. I denounce all participants.
---
If one rejects laissez faire on account of mans fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.~Mises
#8Superlnfinity45Posted 7/7/2013 9:41:59 AM
I voted "Only the United States and Israel control the Suez Canal" as a joke, though unfortunately it may be true enough to make it a disturbing thought.
---
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
#9diseasedhickPosted 7/7/2013 9:51:29 AM
mizukage2 posted...
"They certainly have the right to try, but then political-economic reality will ensue and they will get curb-stomped by someone."

I agree with this statement. Egypt is free to do whatever it wants to its territory. Closing off the canal to the rest of the world is essentially an economic declaration of war.

A better alternative would be to increase the tolls charged to pass through the canal. Egypt still gets to "stick it" to its enemies, but maintains a semblance of sanity.
#10King_PazuzuPosted 7/9/2013 3:48:31 AM
Egypt can block or destroy the canal but they would be screwing noone but themselves seeing as they make money off it.
---
Hidden board number 408
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." - Sir Winston Churchill