This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Universal Health Care makes sense

#1TreGoodaPosted 7/16/2013 12:17:56 PM
However, taxes are already high enough (if not too high).

There are some things this nation needs to do to accomplish this goal.

1) Modern infrastructure (I think most can agree on this). In the long-run, this will save us loads of money instead of continually paying to patch up the crappy infrastructure year after year.

2) Cut back on military spending (and have the rest of the western world pay their fare share for defense), harder to implement but doable.

3) Cut backs on welfare/foodstamps. These programs need a serious overhaul, this is also doable but harder to teach someone to be self-reliant that has become dependent. The actual disabled should still receive benefits from SS, but we need much stricter guidelines on what qualifies.

4) Redefine the way in which doctors can be sued. Malpractice insurance eats up a lot of a doctor's income and makes them liable for any tiny mistake. If a doctor is negligent and costs a life, he should be criminally liable, but not financially. This drives the cost up on our healthcare to unimaginable levels and it's all to protect the .000001% (yes, that's a made up statistic but I think you get the point).

5) Make medical school cheaper (if not free). Many qualified young adults are not able or are burdened by outrageous loan costs for attending medical school (something that ends up being a public benefit). This eats up a good portion of their salaries for many years and the costs are passed on to all of us (patients of the healthcare system). We as taxpayers should support a system in which doctors are treated as public goods and are relieved of the burden of low to mid 6 figure school debt. It's just not right.

Thoughts?
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#2chaos knightPosted 7/16/2013 12:22:14 PM
The only thing I disagree with really is that taxes are too high as is. I personally believe they need to be somewhat higher, possibly with a VAT as well even. Can't really have European level benefits without paying European level taxes.
---
Seattle sports, yo
#3NoName999Posted 7/16/2013 12:24:40 PM
TreGooda posted...

Remember, guyz. TreGooda claims to be not be a Republican shill

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2011/02/08/under-obama-taxes-reach-lowest-level-since-truman
---
"This grass feels funny," Kirby thought. It feels like.... pants
#4kmick2Posted 7/16/2013 12:29:44 PM
Most of it sounds agreeable, although I don't believe medical school should be free. Elementary and high school should be free, which public ones are, except of course parochial schools.

But I would add that most people have no conceivable idea what the lack of education does on a grand, national scale to a society, and economy. Public schools need an enema in the U.S., IMO.
---
I can walk away from millions because it's not right, but I'll be damned if I'll back an inch from a dime because it has to be so.-Bruce Lee
#5jejasinPosted 7/16/2013 12:37:07 PM
NoName999 posted...
TreGooda posted...

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2011/02/08/under-obama-taxes-reach-lowest-level-since-truman

Tax receipts are low because of unemployment and underemployment, not because of rates.
---
Literally.
#6TreGooda(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 12:39:01 PM(edited)
chaos knight posted...
The only thing I disagree with really is that taxes are too high as is. I personally believe they need to be somewhat higher, possibly with a VAT as well even. Can't really have European level benefits without paying European level taxes.

I just can't agree

When you add up federal, state, local, payroll, then

permits, licenses, local fees (sidewalk replacement, etc.), sales tax, luxury tax, gas tax etc. It's a pretty daunting figure. The average American is probably paying close to 40-50% in taxes already.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#7kmick2Posted 7/16/2013 12:42:15 PM
Oh, and far as military cuts go, I think superfluous spending like air shows should be eliminated altogether, as they are a colossal waste of money, though they are cool, but unnecessary.

Military spending should parallel security necessities.
---
I can walk away from millions because it's not right, but I'll be damned if I'll back an inch from a dime because it has to be so.-Bruce Lee
#8RufusNKenRSTierPosted 7/16/2013 3:57:02 PM
jejasin posted...
NoName999 posted...
TreGooda posted...

Tax receipts are low because of unemployment and underemployment, not because of rates.

He also lowered the tax rate for us mere peons...
---
Reign of Dragons referral code H3JC7GR
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/59182173
#9J_sizzle222Posted 7/16/2013 4:11:17 PM
NoName999 posted...
TreGooda posted...

I don't see how TreGooda is being a Republican shill. I also disagree that the tax rate is too high but the rest of the post seems pretty reasonable.
---
"In my honest opinion, mine is the only honest opinion" - Stephen Colbert.
#10Nitro378Posted 7/16/2013 6:43:46 PM
NoName999 posted...
TreGooda posted...

---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me