This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Universal Health Care makes sense

#11mystic belmontPosted 7/16/2013 7:57:55 PM
This would offset the cost for business, just like it does in Canada.
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#12Evil Genius 9Posted 7/16/2013 8:10:58 PM(edited)
jejasin posted...

Tax receipts are low because of unemployment and underemployment, not because of rates.

No. Even if you correct for the unemployment rate, tax receipts are still lower than than they would be. It has a lot to do with the fact that the middle class hasn't seen their wages increase in real terms in about 45 years, and the vast majority of new wealth that's been generated has been concentrated at the very top, while tax rates for the very top have actually been lowered in that time.

The counter-argument will be that the wealthy already pay the bulk of taxes. Well, yes they do, but relative to the amount of wealth they've gained, and the effective rates they pay, and corporate profits are at record highs, while corporate tax receipts are effectively low, it's not a fair trade-off, and it's a result of, if you want the middle class to bear more of the burden, then hey -- maybe their wages should actually increase first.

---
Every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid.
-- Dave Chappelle