This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SYG could get abused pretty easily...

#1-Kicksave-Posted 7/18/2013 12:31:33 AM
In the end, I did think that the jury reached the only verdict they could based on legal interpretation, and that Zimmerman was getting his ass kicked and panicked in the moment.

That said, it seems wrong that I, for example, could suddenly get in some one's face in a dark alley, hurl terrible insults, and as soon as he swings at me and I think I'm going to suffer serious bodily harm.....I shoot him dead in self defense.

Huh.
---
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
#2bigbug1992Posted 7/18/2013 1:15:00 AM
Zimmerman didn't use SYG for his defense.

Let it go.
---
What I if told you...
You just read that wrong
#3-Kicksave-(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 1:20:52 AM
Except that the jury actually deliberated SYG in deciding his fate, and it was in their juror instructions. OOPS.

I already said (repeatedly on this board) I though they reached the appropriate decision given the legal conditions. Doesn't mean that I think SYG is a good component of self-defense laws.
---
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
#4AceVanquishPosted 7/18/2013 4:09:30 AM
The only thing SYG does is remove the duty to retreat. There was no opportunity to retreat for Zimmerman, so SYG is irrelevant. And in any case I don't know why you'd want to send innocent people to prison for self-defense just because they "could have retreated" rather than kill their would-be murderer/rapist.
---
http://i.imgur.com/imGAY.png
http://lostfacts.net
#5chareyPosted 7/18/2013 11:15:06 AM
AceVanquish posted...
The only thing SYG does is remove the duty to retreat. There was no opportunity to retreat for Zimmerman, so SYG is irrelevant. And in any case I don't know why you'd want to send innocent people to prison for self-defense just because they "could have retreated" rather than kill their would-be murderer/rapist.
A duty to retreat is not absolute in non-SYG self-defense cases. If you don't think trying to run will save you like if the other person has a gun or you have no way to escape, you have fulfilled your duty to retreat and are free to use what ever methods you need to protect yourself.

What the duty to retreat does is if the other person will let you leave or you have a safe way to escape you must try that as your first option. If you try to escape and fail then that also counts as fulfilling your duty to retreat.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#6Minotaur333Posted 7/18/2013 11:15:56 AM
If SYG never existed, self-defense was more then enough for GZ to get off.
---
Michigan's only Denard Robinson hater.
#7TomorrowDogPosted 7/18/2013 11:20:42 AM
That said, it seems wrong that I, for example, could suddenly get in some one's face in a dark alley, hurl terrible insults, and as soon as he swings at me and I think I'm going to suffer serious bodily harm.....I shoot him dead in self defense.

Implying such self-defense cases are simple and you get off every time without consequences.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#8Superlnfinity45Posted 7/18/2013 11:27:24 AM
AceVanquish posted...

Because there's something to be ashamed of from running from a lunatic who's trying to murder you. No, best let a random person perform the role of judge, jury and executioner within a matter of seconds.
---
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
#9AceVanquishPosted 7/18/2013 3:13:53 PM
Superlnfinity45 posted...
AceVanquish posted...

Because there's something to be ashamed of from running from a lunatic who's trying to murder you. No, best let a random person perform the role of judge, jury and executioner within a matter of seconds.

No one said it's shameful, you just shouldn't be punished for defending yourself from someone who's about to kill you. That's insane.
---
http://i.imgur.com/imGAY.png
http://lostfacts.net