This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How exactly do you prove racial profiling?

#11Umbris_LetalisPosted 7/19/2013 12:19:11 PM
At least in my experience, profiling is proven when you get stopped, observed or treated negatively based on race alone and not action. So start from there.

For example I was on my way back home from school during my senior year. Apparently there was a robbery in the area and all investigators had to go on was that he was black. I was actually across the street from my house when three officers surrounded me and started asking a bunch of questions. They said things like "I looked out of place.", "Why wasn't I at school." and asked where I live.They even emptied out my backpack and pockets while making sure I kept my hands up.

Their only premise was that there was a black robber in the area; so I had to be the robber myself right? It didn't stop until I told them that I could yell across the street and have everyone in my building vouch for me.

Unless it beats people over the head they want to admit an incident counts as racial profiling. Race is a spooky subject many shy away from.
---
PSN: LostRequiem1 - Feel free to add
#12legendary_zell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 12:26:05 PM
fudrick posted...
legendary_zell posted...
What is proof that actually happens on a regular basis?

I'm not sure what you're intending to ask here.

legendary_zell posted...
If it takes that type of "evidence" for the problem to be taken seriously, aren't we going to end up pretending like it doesn't happen?

Not if we can demonstrate trends with statistics

legendary_zell posted...
If someone is smart enough to hide their latent racism, are we supposed to treat it like it wasn't a factor?

If you mean to say that there is no evidence that racism was a factor, then yes, obviously we are supposed to treat it like it wasn't a factor until that evidence arises. Unless we can read minds

We very rarely have the type of proof your are looking for, so don't we end up treating every individual like they are just making it up if they didn't have a hidden mic somewhere to catch a racist outburst?

I've already said that most people agree that profiling happens as a statistical concept. However, it seems like a criminal can blatantly profile someone and since we can't read the criminal's mind, we will follow your advice and not hold them accountable for it. That's what I mean by pretending it doesn't exist.
---
"I come through the line like Brian Cushing, and I can't be blocked like JJ Watt"
#13BvWJpEq5yPosted 7/19/2013 12:30:10 PM
Reporting the skin color of a criminal suspect who is on the run in a news story is one way.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Bkwc2uI.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Xomi5PW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EJvYcTv.jpg http://i.imgur.com/jXRMV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/iqCVXy0.jpg
#14fudrickPosted 7/19/2013 12:35:20 PM
Yeah, it's unfortunate that racial profiling is something which can often be done without leaving behind any evidence whatsoever. Clearly this means that we often won't be able to determine whether the profiling actually occurred. Either we require evidence to prove that an individual engaged in racial profiling, which inevitably will lead to many cases of racial profiling not being deemed as such, or we accept all claims of racial profiling without requiring evidence, which inevitably will lead to many cases which are actually devoid of racial profiling being deemed as such. Which do you prefer?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#15BvWJpEq5yPosted 7/19/2013 12:38:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#16legendary_zell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 12:45:05 PM
fudrick posted...
Yeah, it's unfortunate that racial profiling is something which can often be done without leaving behind any evidence whatsoever. Clearly this means that we often won't be able to determine whether the profiling actually occurred. Either we require evidence to prove that an individual engaged in racial profiling, which inevitably will lead to many cases of racial profiling not being deemed as such, or we accept all claims of racial profiling without requiring evidence, which inevitably will lead to many cases which are actually devoid of racial profiling being deemed as such. Which do you prefer?

I'd prefer not to be told I'm making things up by sheltered people when things that I consider blatant, textbook examples of profiling happen to me or to other people. However, it is unfair to falsely accuse people of what is essentially a thought crime, and one that is very hard to defend yourself against at that. The risk of that happening is also very concerning because I would be upset if that happened to me. I'm just wondering if there is any act of profiling that would allow everyone to agree that's what it was, even if the perpetrator didn't announce his attentions before or after the incident.
---
"I come through the line like Brian Cushing, and I can't be blocked like JJ Watt"
#17fudrickPosted 7/19/2013 12:55:49 PM
I never said anything about telling people they're making things up. There's a pretty big difference between that, and simply telling people that unfortunately there's no available evidence to corroborate their claims.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#18Evil Genius 9Posted 7/19/2013 1:01:48 PM
It may not be possible to prove on a case-by-case basis, but it's certainly possible to show a clear trend, as in the stop-and-frisk example.

---
Every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid.
-- Dave Chappelle
#19WhiskeyDiscPosted 7/19/2013 1:04:54 PM
BvWJpEq5y posted...
Indeed. Evidence can be a stubborn thing for liberals.

well if you'd believe the likes of Orca, even numbers can be racist if they don't fit the narrative he's sold on.
---
Meh.
#20legendary_zell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 1:05:19 PM
fudrick posted...
I never said anything about telling people they're making things up. There's a pretty big difference between that, and simply telling people that unfortunately there's no available evidence to corroborate their claims.

Well that's usually what happens in these cases. People say that because you didn't have a tape of someone screaming the N word, you were just being paranoid and bringing race into it when you didn't have "proof". With that line of thinking, it sure as hell seems like no individual case of profiling will be taken seriously, no matter how senseless or blatant. With that mindframe, it seems like the problem will be acknowledged in an academic sense, but ignored in every practical way and people who were profiled will have the incident turned back on them and be called racists and race-baiters themselves for bringing it up. It happens literally every single time.
---