This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the terms "slut" and "*****" inherently sexist?

#1Silencer SPosted 7/22/2013 8:54:51 PM
"*****" being "whore"

Or are they just critical of certain lifestyle choices, with no real sexist or misogynist implications?

In reality, the terms are generally only applied to women (though you'll occasionally hear the term "man whore" etc), and it seems like sexual promiscuity is more frowned upon for women than men.

Both men and women use the terms pretty frequently. In my experience, girls call each other "sluts"/"whore" very frequently, evidently expressing disgust and/or disapproval of sexual promiscuity. Men call women these same terms too, usually as an insult.
---
"Give him a fair trial. Then shoot him." - Napoleon Bonaparte after the capture of Andreas Hofer
#2atmasabrPosted 7/22/2013 8:57:06 PM
They're not inherently sexist.

They're sexist because of the double-standard in which they are used, with either no male equivalent, or a male equivalent that suggests something more innocuous.
---
Do your own research!
#3MondoCapitaIistPosted 7/22/2013 9:01:52 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4atmasabrPosted 7/22/2013 9:02:43 PM
MondoCapitaIist posted...
a key that opens a ton of locks is a master key, a lock opened by many keys probably has herpes and will cheat on you

I find that I hate you.
---
Do your own research!
#5Chocobo985Posted 7/22/2013 9:04:30 PM
MondoCapitaIist posted...
a key that opens a ton of locks is a master key, a lock opened by many keys probably has herpes and will cheat on you

Would you want a key that can open any lock? Of course you would

Would you want a lock that any key can open? Of course not
---
There's room for only one Snake, and one Big Boss!- Liquid
3DS friend code: 3110-4616-4374 add me for Animal Crossing!
#6Silver_OgrePosted 7/22/2013 9:50:40 PM
The only thing inherent to words is subjectivity. However, using them in a derogatory way to describe one sex that you won't the other is sexist.
---
"Every inscription, every utterance, every gesture seeks to dominate the plain of meaning."
Chad Dumier, Deus Ex
#7hunter_gohanPosted 7/22/2013 9:57:10 PM
Wait if you could say that, why'd you need to censor it in the title?

The words themselves, no. At least not if you use them to refer to either sex. The sexism comes in with the double standard so wonderfully demonstrated by Mondo up there where some people would call a woman a slut for something that they'd congratulate a guy on if he did it.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#8fudrickPosted 7/22/2013 10:19:56 PM
hunter_gohan posted...
Wait if you could say that, why'd you need to censor it in the title?

Some words are only censored in titles
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#9Long_BottomPosted 7/23/2013 1:12:24 AM
Considering the fact that it is heavily slanted towards shaming females, while males have a less severe "man slut" label that has less shameful connotations, yes, definitely.

A guy can go around calling himself or being called a man whore and people would laugh it off as him being a flirt that's good in bed. A woman calling herself a whore would be less positively received.
---
The One4U Alliance - Support gaming! End console wars!
#10TheGoldenStatePosted 7/23/2013 1:34:18 AM
Who cares? This "I have a right to not be offended" culture needs to end.
---
6'4" 267lbs 4.6sec 40yard Vance McDonald for OROY
http://i.imgur.com/nwDZGqa.jpg http://i.imgur.com/eOj0tDF.jpg