This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the terms "slut" and "*****" inherently sexist?

#31Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/23/2013 12:11:57 PM
NoSite4OldCEmen posted...
Chocobo985 posted...
Would you want a lock that any key can open? Of course not

Would you rather have a USB port on your computer that can be used for pretty much any device or do you want to go back to when each device had it's own specific port where only one device type may be used with that port?

That doesn't make sense...
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#32azuresou1Posted 7/23/2013 12:17:02 PM
I find it hilarious and kind of sad that some users pretend women don't hold the power when it comes to sex. Gee, I guess we should ignore eons of biology across almost all species, where males compete with each other to mate with the females. Nope, it's just as easy for men to have sex.

Here's the truth - any girl, no matter how physically unappealing, can go to a bar and find SOMEONE to take her home for the night. The same is not true for guys.

Thus, a woman who goes out and sleeps with a bunch of guys gets labeled a 'slut' or a 'whore' because she is degrading her own value, while a man who goes out and sleeps with a bunch of women generally gets labeled a 'player' because the latter is a lot harder to achieve.

Note that I have no personal problem with girls sleeping around.
---
A basketball analytics blog
http://www.buildingbetterball.com/
#33the final bahamutPosted 7/23/2013 12:34:57 PM
azuresou1 posted...
I find it hilarious and kind of sad that some users pretend women don't hold the power when it comes to sex. Gee, I guess we should ignore eons of biology across almost all species, where males compete with each other to mate with the females. Nope, it's just as easy for men to have sex.

Because females don't compete!</derp>

Here's the truth - any girl, no matter how physically unappealing, can go to a bar and find SOMEONE to take her home for the night. The same is not true for guys.

This is something guys like to believe. The idea that when it comes right down to it they're willing to sleep with anyone at all and that if a woman doesn't get laid its her own damn fault, whereas men have to work for it. This is entirely and utterly false. First off: Any guy can get laid at any time. Just find the least desirable woman at the bar. But you don't want her, because she's not desirable. Likewise, women don't want men who aren't desirable because, surprise surprise, they're actual people with thoughts and preferences and a working sexuality. Plenty of women go to bars hoping to catch a man yet come home empty handed.

Our culture of slutshaming is disgusting.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#34azuresou1Posted 7/23/2013 1:10:01 PM
Females compete against each other for the most desirable male. Males compete against each other and against a minimum bar just to HAVE a mate.

I don't know why you feel compelled to ignore basic biology, in the vast majority of species males compete to have sex with females, while females are receptive and just pick out the winner. Bull moose duel each other with antlers to get access to females, lions kill other males and other males' cubs to lead the pride, snails being hermaphrodites shoot goddamn darts at each other so that they get to be the male. Hell, plants compete with each other in pollination.

But nope of course some users like to pretend that women aren't the gatekeepers of sex. Because, you know, who needs facts?
---
A basketball analytics blog
http://www.buildingbetterball.com/
#35the final bahamutPosted 7/23/2013 1:36:06 PM
azuresou1 posted...
Females compete against each other for the most desirable male. Males compete against each other and against a minimum bar just to HAVE a mate.

Wrroooooong.
Males compete for the most desirable females too.

I don't know why you feel compelled to ignore basic biology, in the vast majority of species males compete to have sex with females, while females are receptive and just pick out the winner. Bull moose duel each other with antlers to get access to females, lions kill other males and other males' cubs to lead the pride, snails being hermaphrodites shoot goddamn darts at each other so that they get to be the male. Hell, plants compete with each other in pollination.

I don't know why you choose to ignore half of biology or try to use your poor understanding of biology to make a bad conclusion about people. Oh wait, I know. It's because its what a s***ton of people do to make bad and often contradictory conclusions

But nope of course some users like to pretend that women aren't the gatekeepers of sex. Because, you know, who needs facts?

People who care about reality rather than people who just to try to justify their own sexist positions probably derived from the Game?
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#36chareyPosted 7/23/2013 1:42:51 PM
azuresou1 posted...
I don't see why we have to define how we treat sex to just the basic instincts of animals. Just because some animals are sexist in how sex is decided doesn't mean we have to treat women as horrible if they are sexually active.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#37Thanatos the GreatPosted 7/23/2013 1:52:02 PM
Since you're the only person who answered "yes" unequivocally, why do you say this? Truly you don't actually believe that the sounds made by the words "slut" and "whore" are inherently sexist, nor the visual representations of those sounds as written words.

The sound, or the ink, is not the word.

I don't see how you could actually believe any word is "inherently" sexist.

The same way the n-word is inherently racist. Even if there's a quibble to be had over the precise meaning of "inherent", the important point still stands.
---
"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor
#38BornIn1142Posted 7/23/2013 2:22:52 PM(edited)
azuresou1 posted...

This is both idiotic AND ignorant.

Do you know why women have it "easier" to find sexual partners? Because slut-shaming conditions women to limit their sexual activity. Men have to work harder to find sexual partners precisely because society's attitudes regarding female sexuality cut off their pool of candidates. This whole nonsense argument is self-perpetuating crap. It has nothing to do with biology.
---
Look! It's Enrico Palazzo!
#39animebopPosted 7/23/2013 2:30:26 PM
azuresou1 posted...

I like how you call it "females pick out the winner," when it's more like females are stuck with whatever they get after the males finish killing each other. They sure are the gatekeepers of sex though, being forced to mate with whoever wins (and kills all of the offspring from different males in some species).
---
Internet + video game message board = upper-middle class + never-employed = libertarian
#40Slim_CTASPosted 7/23/2013 2:51:00 PM(edited)
No. Being offended is in the eyes of the beholder. If people label you in ways that make you not proud of yourself, then take steps to either:

A) Correct that perception of you with changed behavior.

B) Decide that what they say about you should not be relevant to your self-esteem and move on

Its called being an adult, not a whiny child complaining that someone made fun of you on the playground.

---
http://freeblago.forumotion.com/f1-the-blago-lounge
The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.