This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

O'Reilly weaves several talking points to address 'race problem'

#41battouryePosted 7/23/2013 2:45:23 PM
CaptainKO posted...
Sativa_Rose posted...
The problem is a combination of everything mentioned:

-Poor education and health services in predominantly black areas
-Cyclical poverty
-Lack of economic opportunities (either you're slingin' crack-rock, or you've got a wicked jump-shot)
-Disintegration of the family (73% of all black babies born outside of wedlock)

These are all problems that are significantly contributing to the problems for the black community

Except for the last part, you the rest of what you said, didn't make sense. You need to elaborate.

1. Go to a hospital in a black area, visit a school in a black area. I remember eventually we actually just condemned the school I went to and chose to put the students from my subdivision into temporary classrooms rather than actually use that building. Going on education black areas tend to be poor and have low property values. Property taxes are usually what pays for schools and other things, so they get rather underfunded. Combine that with the fact that typically they have more need of some services, and you get a horrific feedback loop.

2. If your dad's poor, and your mom's poor, and your aunts and uncles and cousins are poor, then they typically can't help you out when it comes to escaping poverty. I've known people who managed to escape it, but its like running a mile with hurdles compared to a 200m sprint. Who's going to cosign for you? Who's gonna help you out when it comes to getting an apartment? What connections do you have? What job opportunities are there locally if you live in an area associated with poverty? It doesn't make things impossible, but it stacks the deck.

3. Black areas tend to be poor. This is not racism, its established fact. If you live in the worst parts you've got crappy jobs that in this economy are taken up by people old enough to be your dad or already have their degree. Besides, people just don't like hiring blacks if they can help it. There's reasons for it sometimes, but it happens. Cultures tend to recognize ways to success, and what black urban youth see is crime or entertainment. And its true for some of them. I knew a guy who ended up selling crack because it was a steady job that paid decently and then he got arrested. Now he's probably going to probably end up selling it again.
---
Fools think there are good and bad guys in intl. relations.-Terran
Currently Listening To: Ondore's Lies
#42NixPosted 7/23/2013 3:01:04 PM
dermoratraken posted...
Nix posted...
None of that would solve anything.

Wow, really?

Yeah really.
28% of Black people are under the poverty line. And a lot of black people lives in cities thus raising their cost of living more. And most black people live near other black people so they are exposed to them. Adding in poor schools and property, I would have to at least 40% of black people "aint got no money" and live in or near high crime neighborhoods.

Add in mistrust in the American societal system and a few other barriers, it would be a waste of time to handle anything but trust and economics first when a large chunk of us see the legit path out of poorness as a sprint through a lion's den.

I am just lucky my grandfather got a good job after the Marines, my father can with an scholarship from another country, and gangs didn't want a guy who can't see straight.
---
All for profit and profit for all.
Giants and Yankees!
#43GeneralFringsPosted 7/23/2013 10:23:00 PM
His response to responses to his address of the race problem was precious.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2562436647001/huge-reaction-to-my-memo-last-night-/

"There, I just solved the gun and immigration problem."

And again, instead of using his position of considerable power to spread good ideas, he dismisses opponents that disagree with him over his ridiculous notion that threatening more jail time and fines for illegal immigrants and gun owners will magically solve the problem. And again he thinks that if Obama plays Dr. Phil and wags his finger at teenage black girls, families will stop deteriorating and suddenly everything is fine. One last note is how he speaks of enforcing school uniforms and having school systems held to standards, yet how are we to see either of those realized if we "stop pumping money into the problem" as Bill so eloquently put it last night?

This is why I say he doesn't really care about the "African American problem", but rather about demonizing those his constituency would have him demonize. He damns them with one side of his mouth and yet offers these false solutions out the other. His viewers will rally behind since, let's face it, they don't do much thinking on average anyway.
---
How deep is too deep?
#44MasterSplinterWPosted 7/23/2013 11:49:07 PM
Adiroth posted...
dermoratraken posted...
Adiroth posted...
What a crook. Basically he's saying that everything is really the Black community's fault and you need to implement eugenics on them. Yay, Bill never fails to amuse.

This looks like confirmation bias. Did you even listen to it? He only blames the black 'leaders' amongst others problems but not the community in general.

Trolling. We both know that he's basically saying that the black community is asking for profiling because they can't get their acts together and the black "leaders" need to rein in their mob.

What the heck is a black leader anyway? Is there a white leader, Asian leader, Chinese leader, Tongan leader? Are these people animals lead by an alpha individual? BTW, why aren't the "white" leaders apologize for statistically disproportionate homicide of blacks, is such a thing actually exists?

I could ask you the same thing about a "black community." The educated black people that I konw, don't consider themselves part of any such thing, nor would I consider myself part of a "white America." I think this is all just garbage that you guys read in some stupid book or heard in the devicisive media. Wake up, please, my human community.
---
On the 261, just remember that you aren't allowed to make a single assertion, assumption, or declaration without stats, studies, and followup to said studies.
#45MasterSplinterWPosted 7/23/2013 11:55:29 PM
Nix posted...
He makes some good points but Bill misses the same two things nonblack pundits never get and black pundits are too embarrassed to say.

Black people have an over century long generational distrust of the system and overall pessimism toward their chances of success.

Almost 30% of black people live in poverty and 10-30% of the black people who aren't impoverished live right next to them.

2+2=

lumping black individuals into "black people" and it's people like you who call me racist? I'm so over it...
---
On the 261, just remember that you aren't allowed to make a single assertion, assumption, or declaration without stats, studies, and followup to said studies.
#46NixPosted 7/24/2013 1:55:17 AM
MasterSplinterW posted...
Nix posted...
He makes some good points but Bill misses the same two things nonblack pundits never get and black pundits are too embarrassed to say.

Black people have an over century long generational distrust of the system and overall pessimism toward their chances of success.

Almost 30% of black people live in poverty and 10-30% of the black people who aren't impoverished live right next to them.

2+2=

lumping black individuals into "black people" and it's people like you who call me racist? I'm so over it...

I never called anyone racist (besides SMAL).

I lump black people together because of two reasons. That is how society treats people. They are always single adjective groupings: black people, white people, asian people (despite there being so many parts of Asia), poor, rich, middle class, educated, uneducated. Rarely "Rich educated Asians" or "Middle class Blacks".

And two: the group that black individuals are most often affected by the greatest are lower working class, poor, and impoverished black people. They make up 40-50% of our population (thus being major factors of black culture) and most black people live in close proximity of each other. 10 minute drive in any direction from my house leads to the projects.

The creation of 3 Million middle class jobs in or near areas with high black population. That would solve it. But where the heck would you get them.
---
Giants and Yankees!
#47MasterSplinterWPosted 7/24/2013 2:14:40 AM
Nix posted...
Nix posted...

2+2=

I never called anyone racist (besides SMAL).

I lump black people together because of two reasons. That is how society treats people. They are always single adjective groupings: black people, white people, asian people (despite there being so many parts of Asia), poor, rich, middle class, educated, uneducated. Rarely "Rich educated Asians" or "Middle class Blacks".

And two: the group that black individuals are most often affected by the greatest are lower working class, poor, and impoverished black people. They make up 40-50% of our population (thus being major factors of black culture) and most black people live in close proximity of each other. 10 minute drive in any direction from my house leads to the projects.

The creation of 3 Million middle class jobs in or near areas with high black population. That would solve it. But where the heck would you get them.

So I should do as society does, just because that's how society does something? okay... And also, your need to describe the thoughts and feelings of "black people" and not treat people as individuals, is a hangup that you seem to have, I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it, but it's pretty clear to me.
---
#48NixPosted 7/24/2013 2:49:43 AM
Never said you must act as society does.
I said black individuals are often most affected by other black individuals as they share the same cultures and often live close to each other. It is the same with other groups.

What other groups don't have is 30% poverty and a mistrust of society infecting their culture.
---
Giants and Yankees!
#49MasterSplinterWPosted 7/24/2013 3:00:43 AM
Nix posted...
I said black individuals are often most affected by other black individuals as they share the same cultures and often live close to each other. It is the same with other groups.

What other groups don't have is 30% poverty and a mistrust of society infecting their culture.

Well, I'm white, I have plenty of black co-workers and a few asian. We don't let anything "infect" us. We just work hard and take accountability for our actions. I'd hate my life if all I did was throw a pity party for myself.
---
#50NixPosted 7/24/2013 3:23:28 AM
Nix posted...

Well, I'm white, I have plenty of black co-workers and a few asian. We don't let anything "infect" us. We just work hard and take accountability for our actions. I'd hate my life if all I did was throw a pity party for myself.

Emphasis. And I'm black and throwing no pity party for myself.
But I can throw one for the cultures of the black community.

Individuals are individuals. But individuals are most likely to be similiar as their cultures.
As long as most of the cultures of black communities are infected with poverty and mistrust, many black individuals will be poor and distrust the society.

Unless you expect 50% of black people to spontaneously learn Chinese just because it's possible.

Hell if a bunch of black artist started adding Chinese in their lyrics, within a year you'll have a higher percentage of blacks who can count to 10 in Mandarin than the percentage in the middle and upper classes.
---
Giants and Yankees!