This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bees' foraging for flowers 'hampered by diesel exhaust'

#1BarkitaPosted 10/5/2013 7:25:21 AM
"Tests have showed that exhaust degraded some floral scent chemicals the bees "home in on" when they are foraging."

The study, published in Scientific Reports, also revealed that a specific group of chemicals found in diesel exhaust, known as NOx, diminished the insects' response to floral scents.

They say the results are evidence that air quality should be improved.

"We got into this, because we were aware of the impacts of airborne pollutants on human health, so it didn't seem so wild that there may be impacts that extended beyond human health," said University of Southampton neuroscientist Dr Tracey Newman, who was involved in the work."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/24364637

There is no quick fix for this.
---
@zzzzzzz[]XX::::::::: KINGS-FIELD.COM ::::::::::>
#2PRINCESSMAGICALPosted 10/5/2013 7:28:11 AM
They need to change the exhaust. We need bees.
---
Your chains are still mine, you belong to me! ~ The Phantom Of The Opera
Man didn't invent God, God created man.
#3Nitro378Posted 10/5/2013 7:54:16 AM
Barkita posted...

Well we could just reduce our dependence on fossil fuels or reformulate diesel but w/e

In the real world I guess you're right
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me
#4RRtexasranger13Posted 10/5/2013 8:11:24 AM
Nitro378 posted...
Barkita posted...

Well we could just reduce our dependence on fossil fuels or reformulate diesel but w/e

In the real world I guess you're right

Bolded important qualifier...
---
Politics is weird. And Creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality. - Shepard Smith
Rubio 2016
#5atmasabrPosted 10/5/2013 10:28:17 AM
Well, good, maybe that'll stem the spread of the killer bee population.
---
Do your own research!
#6rabbi_babyPosted 10/5/2013 10:32:51 AM
If people who drove hybrids drove clean diesels, we'd be in much better shape. All that strip mining for the batteries can't be too good for the environment either.
---
TT Level 10 GT Snow Edition| i5 3570k w/ Corsair H100i | 2x XFX 7950 | 32GB DDR3 2400 | MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt| Corsair AX1200i | 512GB 840 Pro | 2TB WD Green
#7YouAreCrumbsPosted 10/5/2013 11:31:12 AM
rabbi_baby posted...
If people who drove hybrids drove clean diesels, we'd be in much better shape. All that strip mining for the batteries can't be too good for the environment either.

So in a topic that's about diesel exhaust having a direct, negative effect on the environment, you're suggesting people move to diesels?
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#8YouAreCrumbsPosted 10/5/2013 11:32:14 AM
atmasabr posted...
Well, good, maybe that'll stem the spread of the killer bee population.

"Plague unleashed upon the world."

Well, good, maybe that'll stem the spread of the killer human population.
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#9rabbi_babyPosted 10/5/2013 11:53:52 AM
YouAreCrumbs posted...
rabbi_baby posted...

So in a topic that's about diesel exhaust having a direct, negative effect on the environment, you're suggesting people move to diesels?

Was my post confusing?
---
TT Level 10 GT Snow Edition| i5 3570k w/ Corsair H100i | 2x XFX 7950 | 32GB DDR3 2400 | MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt| Corsair AX1200i | 512GB 840 Pro | 2TB WD Green
#10YouAreCrumbsPosted 10/5/2013 12:06:00 PM
rabbi_baby posted...
YouAreCrumbs posted...
rabbi_baby posted...

Was my post confusing?

I'd say it was poorly timed.
---
joey444