This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible the shutdown could lasts for months, maybe even forever?

#1FindKenshiPosted 10/5/2013 8:53:25 AM
Is it possible the shutdown could drag on for months and possibly even just lead to the total collapse of our government?
---
From this day forward, I will troll no more forever.
17 JAN 2012
#2MaxCHEATER64Posted 10/5/2013 8:54:20 AM
Yep.

As a matter of fact it's a serious threat that "gridlock in the government" could lead to the shutdown never ending.
---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#3thegreatsquarePosted 10/5/2013 9:01:29 AM
Sure it is possible.

It is possible that the tea party conservatives are willing to keep the government closed through the debt default so that the ensuing economic crash can be used as a pretext to a constitutional crisis to set the stage for a right wing coup...

...in their dreams.

...the crazy dreams of crazy people.
---
ASUS G73jh i7 720/Mobility HD 5870/6GB DDR3 1404MHz/Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HDD
#4WinnsockPosted 10/5/2013 9:05:13 AM
I hope so
---
GT: Winnsock
#5TaiIs82Posted 10/5/2013 9:20:54 AM
The percentage of "nonessential" staff at EPA, Education, etc. is in the high 90s. Imagine if we could just drop them forever, or get them so frustrated they would finally quit. We would save money and prevent implementation of a lot of oppressive regs.
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009
#6Magus1947Posted 10/5/2013 9:28:35 AM
No, *this* shutdown will not lead to the collapse of the American government. However, this pattern of behavior certainly will. Right now we have a Democratic president blocked by a Republican House so things haven't escalated. But in the future we'll have a Republican president blocked by Democrats and the Republican will respond with military force and turn the country into a dictatorship.

Source: Every other presidential democracy in the history of the world.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#7RufusNKenRSTierPosted 10/5/2013 10:33:07 AM
Magus1947 posted...
No, *this* shutdown will not lead to the collapse of the American government. However, this pattern of behavior certainly will. Right now we have a Democratic president blocked by a Republican House so things haven't escalated. But in the future we'll have a Republican president blocked by Democrats and the Republican will respond with military force and turn the country into a dictatorship.

Source: Every other presidential democracy in the history of the world.

Luckily our Democrats are so spineless and wussy that it will never come to that.
---
Reign of Dragons referral code H3JC7GR
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/59182173
#8KnavePosted 10/5/2013 10:42:30 AM

The House is blocked by the President. Regardless of which party is in which position, the fact that most Americans would probably frame it the same way you did is a bad thing IMO.
---
I never saw a brute I hated so; He must be wicked to deserve such pain.