This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Raise taxes on everyone 2-3% to cover Entitlements. Freeze the Defense budget.

#21Sativa_RosePosted 10/17/2013 2:05:49 PM
I still think that switching to a universal healthcare system would reduce government spending compared to what we currently have. The US government spends more on healthcare per person than any other country on Earth and we don't even have universal healthcare. The reason it's so expensive is that there are so many middlemen lining their pockets. And what does Obamacare do? It forces you to go through the god damn middlemen...
---
Not changing my signature until Canadian citizen and marijuana legalization activist Marc Emery is released from U.S. federal prison.
#22Evil Genius 9Posted 10/17/2013 3:44:33 PM
mrplainswalker posted...
So that would be a great short term fix, but then as more people who were taxed at the new cap start hitting retirement age, it will fall off and we'll be back in the same place eventually, right?

If "short term" is 75 years, I guess.

---
Every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid.
-- Dave Chappelle
#23JimayoPosted 10/17/2013 4:58:21 PM
JOExHIGASHI posted...
I don't think birth rates fell after the baby boomers

Then you don't have a clue what you are taking about. Birth rates dropped for some time after the baby boomers. If not for immigrants they'd be as low as canada(we don't even average 2 kids per couple).
---
261 - Most troll food on any board on the net.
What the right sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rYqF_BtIwAU
#24atmasabrPosted 10/17/2013 5:00:37 PM
Didn't we already do that?
---
Do your own research!
#25CountPopeulaPosted 10/17/2013 5:00:46 PM
Instead of raising income taxes to pay for entitlements, we should lift the cap on payroll taxes.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#26willythemailboyPosted 10/17/2013 10:37:20 PM
mrplainswalker posted...
Evil Genius 9 posted...
mrplainswalker posted...
Evil Genius 9 posted...
If they just removed the income cap on Social Security tax, that would solve that problem.

If they removed the income cap, wouldn't they just have to pay higher benefits to people who paid more in?

Yeah, potentially -- it depends on how you do it. But let's say we just raise the income cap from the current $110,000 to $250,000. That alone would put hundreds of billions of dollars into the system.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/12/1201361/-Raising-payroll-tax-cap-is-the-best-fix-for-Social-Security

So that would be a great short term fix, but then as more people who were taxed at the new cap start hitting retirement age, it will fall off and we'll be back in the same place eventually, right?

No, it's intended as a permanent fix. You'll note there is no mention of ever increasing the maximum payout at all. The tax would increase, the payout would not.
---
He who laughs last, thinks fastest.
#27Red XlVPosted 10/17/2013 10:44:48 PM
From: SeamusOHassey | Posted: 10/17/2013 1:58:22 PM | #010
I don't want to fund an overly expensive unconstitutional healthcare plan or support part of the cause that's bleeding money from the U.S. budget.

You mean the health care plan that's been verified as constitutional and that cuts the deficit?
---
A bad enough dude to save the President.
"We chose more government instead of more freedom." - Marco Rubio (R-Florida)