This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just what do you SAY to a water fluoridation conspiracy theorist?

#1Faust_8Posted 10/26/2013 3:18:15 PM
I have a few Facebook friends who believe that the government/Illuminati/Zionist/I have no idea put fluoride in the water supply to control our minds/poison us/give us cancer/I have no idea.

I try to tell them that no, this is NOT a matter of opinion or belief, it is a matter of fact. And the facts show that the conspiracy theory is complete horse ****. (I don't use those exact words obviously.) I ask them for proof and they give me nothing but paranoia or completely unrelated facts.

This is what I get from them.

"You're not supposed to swallow toothpaste."
"Fluoride is an acid on the periodic table."
"Open your mind."
"Learn to love."
"You need to respect my beliefs/opinions."
"You're just trying to look smart."

I'm not trying to look smart, I'm trying to alleviate a baseless fear so you can live better. It's not a matter of opinion because it is OBJECTIVELY true or false. And the rest...is just irrelevant, stupid, or Hippie nonsense. (And I'm not even right wing.)

Is there anything I can do the next time they post some pseudo-science claptrap from a propaganda website? (Which is the only time I pipe up--go ahead and be wrong but when you try to spread your wrongness, I might correct you.)
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#2JIC XPosted 10/26/2013 3:21:53 PM
I'd just let it go.
As you know, conspiracists are impervious to any evidence that tends to refute their point of view, which will inevitably be interpreted as evidence of how deep the conspiracy goes.

This is why, for example, when it became clear that the Zapruder film is more consistent with the lone gunman scenario than with the "grassy knoll/conspiracy" alternative, the conspiracists decided that the film, thitherto the main feather in their cap, had been doctored in some way.
---
I mock your value system. You also appear foolish in the eyes of others. {WoT}, Emeritus
#3Valnor50Posted 10/26/2013 3:33:36 PM
Just tell them something that's true that's even worse. Like the US using depleted uranium shells in Iraq and other places. Our economic overthrow of the third world by force of debt; through bribery, selling them weapons, arming revolutions, whatever it takes to get them to play ball and almost always ends up with most of the population in poverty, with a lot of them making our toys. We don't poison US citizens, but we do like to poison brown people (literally and figuratively.)
#4JOExHIGASHIPosted 10/26/2013 3:49:40 PM
It is a halogen on the periodic table. Even if it was acidic it doesn't mean it is fatal or harmful. Orange juice, soda, and vinegar are acidic and are consumed regularly.
---
Discipline is remembering what you want
#5FindKenshiPosted 10/26/2013 3:52:13 PM
I think people who deny all conspiracies automatically are just as cracked out as the 'conspiracy freaks.' So many conspiracies that sound like lunatic ranting ended up being 100% true, including one that that proves the military at one point planned to slaughter civilians and make it look like a terrorist attack: Operation Northwoods.

Including one that the govt was literally researching to see if mind control was possible MK Ultra
---
From this day forward, I will troll no more forever.
17 JAN 2012
#6Omnipotent_CowPosted 10/26/2013 3:59:26 PM
The insidious Soviet plot to steal our bodily fluids.
#7ryan0991Posted 10/26/2013 4:17:27 PM(edited)
FindKenshi posted...
I think people who deny all conspiracies automatically are just as cracked out as the 'conspiracy freaks.' So many conspiracies that sound like lunatic ranting ended up being 100% true, including one that that proves the military at one point planned to slaughter civilians and make it look like a terrorist attack: Operation Northwoods.

Including one that the govt was literally researching to see if mind control was possible MK Ultra

I don't know of anyone who does that. It's just that the vast majority of conspiracy theories are full of s***.

I'm fully aware that the government can be pretty damn corrupt. I just don't accept that as evidence of any particular conspiracy. Conspiracy theorists tend to start from the premise that the government is obviously guilty in someway and it's just a matter of finding out how. That's why you always hear them screaming about how damn near everything is a false flag event.

The large majority of the big conspiracy theories are false, such as:

truthers
birthers
vaccines
fluoride
99% of false flag claims

And so on. They all have almost no evidence going for them.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#8Genesis DragonPosted 10/26/2013 6:50:59 PM
If they try to engage you on the facts, then continue with the facts and try to bring them around. If they deride you simply for not agreeing with them, with no regard for what you say (which is the state when they say things like "Open your mind," "Learn to love," "You need to respect my beliefs/opinions," or "You're just trying to look smart"), then disengage and refuse to engage them again, because they are not interested in reality, and will not listen to anything that is not in line with what they think.
---
Politics is weird. And creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality. -Shepard Smith
#9Silver_OgrePosted 10/26/2013 6:53:04 PM
Anything is toxic in high enough doses.
---
"Every inscription, every utterance, every gesture seeks to dominate the plain of meaning."
Chad Dumier, Deus Ex
#10flacodiabloPosted 10/26/2013 10:03:13 PM
I wouldn't say anything to them since I wouldn't be associating with one.