This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kentucky has lost over 60,000 jobs become of Obama

#1wolf_blitzer85Posted 10/29/2013 6:54:40 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/2013/10/29/2901651/coal-industry-workers-allies-rally.html

Last month, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposed standards aimed at curbing carbon-dioxide emissions, a major contributor to global warming, according to most climate scientists. However, the rules would make it nearly impossible to build new coal-fired power plants without expensive and unproven technology to capture carbon dioxide and pump it underground.

On Tuesday, miners from several coal-producing states, some wearing yellow hard hats and carrying signs that said “Impeach Obama,” cheered as lawmakers of both parties and other speakers criticized the administration.

Rep. Andy Barr, Ky., blasted “unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats” at the EPA. He challenged Obama to come to eastern Kentucky, where more than 6,000 coal-related jobs have vanished in the past two years. Many counties in the region have an unemployment rate that’s higher than the national and state average

On Monday, Rep. Hal Rogers, whose district spans much of the struggling eastern Kentucky coalfield, and Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear,, announced a December economic summit to discuss ideas to wean the region off coal.

It’s common for multiple generations of Appalachian families to have worked in coal mines. Michael Warrix, of Prestonsburg, Ky., said his father had spent 38 years in the mines and was still working.

“He can’t leave it,” said Warrix, who attended Tuesday’s rally. “There’s no place to go.”

Comments?
---
Obama must really be incompetent if hes unaware of all the scandals & executive agency decisions that always turn out in his favor. - Tails on 261
#2KingDFizzlePosted 10/29/2013 6:56:10 PM(edited)
Hope and change are a comin'

And check your figures again. I think you're adding a zero.
#3JohnnyTHM1212Posted 10/29/2013 6:57:11 PM
The coal industry losing jobs? Gee whiz I never would seen that coming.
---
He can swim through matter, he has poisoned teeth
His tentacles have murdered, his scream can kill the weak
#4Genesis DragonPosted 10/29/2013 6:57:46 PM
I like how an extra zero suddenly appeared there. And as much as we need improvement in employment, we've also got to reduce air pollution and get moving towards cleaner sources of energy than coal. Otherwise, there's not gonna be much of a planet left to have jobs on.
---
Politics is weird. And creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality. -Shepard Smith
#5mizukage2Posted 10/29/2013 7:01:31 PM
On Monday, Rep. Hal Rogers, whose district spans much of the struggling eastern Kentucky coalfield, and Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear,, announced a December economic summit to discuss ideas to wean the region off coal.

This is the correct course of action, coal isn't going to be around forever and we are ruining the environment to get at what is left. The sooner we bite the bullet and find some other niche the better off we will be in the long run in the Bluegrass state.
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#6JIC XPosted 10/29/2013 7:08:08 PM
Obviously, it bears looking into, but the EPA often lacks discretion to do nothing. Where Congress has commanded it to act, it must act, personal desires of the sitting president notwithstanding.

That said, I don't think Obama is a huge supporter of coal (although he didn't run an anti-coal campaign last year). I think it's to the good that coal's phasing out, by the way. CO2 aside, it's a huge source of acid rain, mercury, and pretty much every bad thing that can end up in the air.
---
I mock your value system. You also appear foolish in the eyes of others. {WoT}, Emeritus
#7RandomActofFailPosted 10/29/2013 7:14:00 PM
mizukage2 posted...

This is the correct course of action, coal isn't going to be around forever and we are ruining the environment to get at what is left. The sooner we bite the bullet and find some other niche the better off we will be in the long run in the Bluegrass state.

The issue is the dearth of economic development following such a significant shift in federal policy.

I mean...if regulations are killing some people's jobs without requisite retraining into equally stable and economically rewarding careers it's not too difficult to understand their malcontent.
---
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George
#8aarrgusPosted 10/29/2013 7:18:34 PM
So the EPA *recently* proposed standards and 6000 jobs were lost *over the last two years*.

God damned Obama.

(the mind boggles at the attempt to tie these two together)
---
Last night I was lying in bed, staring at the stars, and I wondered... Where the **** is my roof?
#9aarrgusPosted 10/29/2013 7:25:28 PM(edited)
And just for poops and hahas, during the same period of time Western Kentucky coal mines have fell by only 105 total jobs and actually increased in the second quarter of 2013.

http://energy.ky.gov/Documents/Kentucky_Quarterly_Coal_Report_2013Q2.pdf

Thanks Obama?
---
Last night I was lying in bed, staring at the stars, and I wondered... Where the **** is my roof?
#10ActionratPosted 10/29/2013 7:24:35 PM
Coal jobs should disappear (hopefully before all of Kentucky/Virginia's mountains do).

Those guys should get hired by solar or wind projects.
---
THRASH // THRASH // THRASH