This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ebola's a goner, eh?

#1goatthiefPosted 8/8/2014 11:08:02 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-researchers-thwart-ebola-virus/article4258104/
A team of Canadian researchers has developed one of the most effective cures yet for the Ebola virus. That’s big news both for treating the deadliest virus on Earth and tackling myriad other similarly aggressive diseases.

The treatment, in which injections of protein-grabbing antibodies stop a virus from replicating, has the longest treatment window so far resulting in full recovery – a full day. There’s just one catch: It can take up to two weeks for symptoms of the disease to appear.

F*** yeah!
---
Senpai AF, notice meeeee! {WoT} ]GTG[
#2Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 8/8/2014 11:13:09 PM
Oh so now there just happen s to be a cure since Ebola is in America? >_>
#3chaos knightPosted 8/8/2014 11:28:13 PM(edited)
It's not a complete victory just yet. They haven't done any human testing yet and need to extend the window for initial injection to 72 hours after being infected. Still, it's a very promising start. Also of interest is how they claim they can apply this to other viral diseases, which would be a huge accomplishment by itself as well.
---
Seattle Seahawks
Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
#4KoolAssAssassinPosted 8/8/2014 11:59:24 PM
I'm not a conspiracy nut or anything, but it is interesting how when there were only Africans with the disease and dying, the tagline was "There's nothing we can do for them but try to make them comfortable to the end." Then as soon as some white Americans get it, a cure pops up.
#5the final bahamutPosted 8/9/2014 12:08:04 AM
KoolAssAssassin posted...
I'm not a conspiracy nut or anything, but it is interesting how when there were only Africans with the disease and dying, the tagline was "There's nothing we can do for them but try to make them comfortable to the end." Then as soon as some white Americans get it, a cure pops up.

Not really, unless you didn't realize before that we don't give much of a hoot about black Africans.
---
Faciendere id pro RAVz.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#6chaos knightPosted 8/9/2014 12:10:31 AM

Article is also from 2012, no idea what happened with this or if they are still making any progress.
---
Seattle Seahawks
Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
#7the final bahamutPosted 8/9/2014 1:01:21 AM
chaos knight posted...

Article is also from 2012, no idea what happened with this or if they are still making any progress.

I'll tell ya this for nothin': Unless they had to scrap it all, they're getting a lot more funding now than they did in 2012.
---
Faciendere id pro RAVz.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#8-Kicksave-Posted 8/9/2014 1:55:03 AM
Let's cry that the free market isn't developing a cure "until Americans get infected" and ignore that the fact that research on this drug began several years ago, by Canadians, and by a consortium of pharmaceutical companies. But lets keep blaming free markets for a potential cure that would not even exist without it. You guyz...
---
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Certified PROPHET
#9TaiIs82Posted 8/9/2014 7:40:39 PM
If Ebola treatment is given to Americans: "why won't the west help out African victims?"
If Ebola treatment is given to Africans: "why is the west using African victims as lab experiments?"
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009
#10wally(Moderator)Posted 8/9/2014 7:42:33 PM
If taiis posts something: "lol taiis."
---
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight