This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Unoffical Religion Board FAQ (Please Read before Posting)

#21KilroyovichPosted 1/1/2006 10:12:55 PMmessage detail
Here here, LAD!
---
The truth is where the sculptor's chisel chipped away the lie.
#22beethovens125Posted 1/1/2006 11:32:39 PMmessage detail
*raising my right hand*

I, Bethovens125, do solemnly affirm (not swear ;P) to abide by, and uphold the sentiments put forth in this mission statement.

Seriously, this is good stuff. As a certified FNG (new guy), however, I would be grateful if one or some of you "vets" would take the time to answer a question or two that I have.

First, let me say that I stumbled into this message board by accident. I came to Gamefaqs.com, undoubtedly like most here, looking for tips on a video game. I explored around the site and found these boards. Wow! was I ever impressed. I would have never expected to find such quality and wonderful debate in this very unlikely venue. I thought, "This is outstanding," and I jumped right in!

Exchanging ideas is a very noble pursuit. I enjoy this very much. For me, it is great to exchange ideas with a person like mediumsteak3, for example, who, it seems, I wholeheartedly disagree with on many things; but he is clearly very studied and intelligent, so to engage in debate with him, or the likes of him, is rewarding and enriching. It is win win. Unfortunately, I have found that this site is not always exactly the Utopia for free thought that it could be.

I have been reading and posting here now for about a month; obviously I'm still an FNG. My approach is this: I read an entire topic, I consider every post that has been made, then, if I feel I can add to the debate, I compose a post of my own. Sometimes my posts are quite long, often they are very short, but I always try to have an actual point. I always offer opinions that I truly believe and that I feel I can defend with either logic or evidence. I do not, and will not compose a post simply to annoy someone.

Okay (after all of that) here are my questions:

It seems that there is a significant amount of "hazing," at this site. Many here are unduly harsh on a poster if their account is still in the "new user" phase. First: Why is that? And second: How long does it last?

What is karma (in the context of this site)? I have looked but I can't find any explanation about what it is, how one acquires it, or what its purpose is, and so on.

Lastly, I have been accused of trolling several times. I have some understanding of what is meant by that, and it has never been true of me. Often it seems that you are awarded the title simply if you make a good argument. I'm almost proud when someone lobs that word at me. How do you handle false accusations? Do you respond or ignore?

Thank you in advance for helping. Also, if this post is inappropriate here, please forgive me (What can you expect from an FNG).
#23KilroyovichPosted 1/1/2006 11:54:15 PMmessage detail
First: Why is that? And second: How long does it last?

First: Users may have multiple accounts, and oftentimes a new user posting on a non-game board is a troll's joke account.

Second: It lasts until you're a regular user (75 karma).

What is karma[?]

For every day you log in, you get one karma; karma will be taken away if you violate the Terms of Service.

How do you handle false accusations? Do you respond or ignore?

That's entirely up to you. I personally belittle them if the mood strikes me, and ignore them if it doesn't.
---
#24beethovens125Posted 1/1/2006 11:56:58 PMmessage detail
^Thanks ;)
#25beethovens125Posted 1/2/2006 4:57:25 PMmessage detail
If you wouldn't mind, I have one more question that I forgot to ask before: In the context of gamefaqs.com, what is an elitist?
#26TheMikhPosted 1/2/2006 5:23:05 PMmessage detail
If you wouldn't mind, I have one more question that I forgot to ask before: In the context of gamefaqs.com, what is an elitist?

A user who thinks he's better than others, because he has more karma, access to certain boards that others don't, higher user levels, lower user IDs, moderator friends, etc.
---
S E L K I M I S M
---Representing---
#27CNash(Moderator)Posted 1/3/2006 6:06:22 PMmessage detail
Um, I kinda have... all of those. Does this make me a bad person? ^_^

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#28Mr B10nd3Posted 1/3/2006 8:52:30 PMmessage detail
Um, I kinda have... all of those. Does this make me a bad person? ^_^

That's a little different, you're a mod, and no one will tell you the truth to that question.
---
#29CNash(Moderator)Posted 1/4/2006 5:28:43 AMmessage detail
Don't be silly; we're not that egotistical. I hate it when people go "Oh, he's a mod, better tread carefully now!". You're expected not to break the TOS anyway, so if you're not doing that, there's no need to make such remarks.

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#30Mr B10nd3Posted 1/4/2006 2:57:13 PMmessage detail
Oh, I'm just joking around, I've been around MBH to know that mods aren't bad people. Evil maybe, but it's good evil.
---