This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stephen Hawking- the afterlife "is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark"

#1diabetorPosted 5/16/2011 12:46:28 PM
so...what does one do when one of the most intelligent people on the planet tells you that you believe in fairy tales?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110516/us_yblog_thelookout/stephen-hawking-says-afterlife-is-a-fairy-story
#2AtomicItalianPosted 5/16/2011 12:52:35 PM
diabetor posted...
so...what does one do when one of the most intelligent people on the planet tells you that you believe in fairy tales?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110516/us_yblog_thelookout/stephen-hawking-says-afterlife-is-a-fairy-story

Call you on your logical fallacy of deferring to authority, and then pointing out how silly it is to take seriously the opinion of a scientist whose entire line of work is dependent upon a God not existing.
---
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 1 John 3:16
#3Adito99Posted 5/16/2011 12:52:57 PM
Some of the greatest minds humanity has ever produced were devout Christians so I imagine theists are just as bothered by Hawkings statement as I am about those Christians. In other words, not much at all.
---
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2561/goodvsevil.jpg
#4shockwavepulsarjimPosted 5/16/2011 12:55:49 PM
Call you on your logical fallacy of deferring to authority, and then pointing out how silly it is to take seriously the opinion of a scientist whose entire line of work is dependent upon a God not existing.

The whole basis of a Christian's existence -- his morality, his mores, and his raison d'etre -- is based on deference to authority. Or it's meant to be.
---
bibere humanum est, ergo bibamus
#5diabetor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2011 12:56:36 PM
cool.

you guys have plans for the 22nd?
#6kozlo100Posted 5/16/2011 1:01:19 PM

In what way is Hawking's entire line of work dependent on a god not existing?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7OzymandiasIVPosted 5/16/2011 1:04:46 PM
kozlo100 posted...

I was just about to ask this myself.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#8AtomicItalianPosted 5/16/2011 1:12:11 PM
PolluxFrost47 posted...
kozlo100 posted...

I was just about to ask this myself.

String theory and M theory are Hawkings bread basket right now. They require a natural universe. In fact, thats their entire aim is to show how a universe can form naturally. That's what he's been working on since prior to "A Brief History..."

If God comes into the picture, not only would it discredit him in his claims (like these) but it would also derail the majority of his research (as it's theoretical physics), and thus funding would be cut. He needs God/gods/the supernatural to not exist to continue being relevant and well funded.
---
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 1 John 3:16
#9Aperture_ShadoPosted 5/16/2011 1:15:09 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10DagorhaPosted 5/16/2011 1:20:09 PM
Aperture_Shado posted...
The day I take life lessons from a robot...

stay classy Shado
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut