This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An honest question to Christians:

#1the final bahamutPosted 5/22/2011 1:03:26 PM
This isn't a trap or anything, it's just an honest question about something I couldn't get to make sense.

Why doesn't Jesus appear to everyone?
I mean, as I understand it - and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - Jesus wants every soul to be saved, is this correct? This is why you're charged with spreading the good word, right?

However, having a bunch of humans walking around telling people is clearly an inferior method compared to just having Jesus appear to everyone and tell them how the game works.

Now, the first objection I'm imagining I'll hear is "Free will", but free will isn't really being infringed on. This is not Jesus appearing to everyone and using his hypnosis+5 skill to mindbend everyone into kowtowing, it's just Jesus appearing before someone and then sitting down with that person and telling them what the deal is, leaving them to make their decision based on the info they have. Basically the same thing the Evangelics are doing, except this way the message is lifted above the other claims to fame out there. I mean, who are you actually going to believe when the tickets are down? Joe from accounting or the ruler and master of the universe?

Now, the next objection I'm anticipating is "But people will just convert insincerely if they're told like that", but then again: It's god, it's kinda hard to lie your way though.

The third objection I imagine is "But it has to be on faith!" to which I really must ask: Really? Because isn't this exactly what happened to Paul? Wasn't he basically just ambling down the road, hunting Christians when Jesus basically just pops up out of thin air and goes "Hey, buddy, listen, this is how things really work..:"? And what about all the stories you have about people who were given signs by God, or even the prophecies and miracles themselves? Aren't the entire point that this was proof for Jesus being God?

Thoughts?
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#2OrangeWizardPosted 5/22/2011 1:09:23 PM(edited)
the final bahamut posted...
Why doesn't Jesus appear to everyone?

Like, on toast or something?

He doesn't appear to anyone.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3the final bahamut(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2011 1:15:46 PM
^And why not?
---
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#4OrangeWizardPosted 5/22/2011 1:19:06 PM
the final bahamut posted...
^And why not?

Because he told us to do it.
"Go, therefore, and make disciples...."

Questioning a omniscient, omnipotent deity as to how or why he does a certain thing is futile. Proposing you have a better idea is blasphemy. If you want assume, for the sake of your premise, that your idea is better than an omniscient God's idea, well, you can see the problem, can't you?
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
#5gamesrgreatPosted 5/22/2011 1:35:15 PM

Questioning a omniscient, omnipotent deity as to how or why he does a certain thing is futile.

But we aren't questioning an omniscient, omnipotent deity. If it makes no sense and has contradictions that's probably from MAN and not GOD aka your religion is false
---
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
We Three Kings- The Miami Heat
#6gamesrgreatPosted 5/22/2011 1:36:16 PM

The third objection I imagine is "But it has to be on faith!" to which I really must ask: Really? Because isn't this exactly what happened to Paul? Wasn't he basically just ambling down the road, hunting Christians when Jesus basically just pops up out of thin air and goes "Hey, buddy, listen, this is how things really work..:"? And what about all the stories you have about people who were given signs by God, or even the prophecies and miracles themselves? Aren't the entire point that this was proof for Jesus being God?

This is so true. He used miracles to convert pretty much everyone he converted in the NT but yet somehow that would make our conversions not good enough
---
#7OrangeWizardPosted 5/22/2011 1:44:18 PM
gamesrgreat posted...
Questioning a omniscient, omnipotent deity as to how or why he does a certain thing is futile.
But we aren't questioning an omniscient, omnipotent deity. If it makes no sense and has contradictions that's probably from MAN and not GOD aka your religion is false

Thank you for your opinion.
---
#8gamesrgreatPosted 5/22/2011 1:47:05 PM
I'm just saying there is no point in even having a theology/discussing it if you are going to have the prior belief that you can't question anything in your religion because it is already 100% true
---
#9the final bahamut(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2011 1:52:09 PM
Because he told us to do it.
"Go, therefore, and make disciples...."

Questioning a omniscient, omnipotent deity as to how or why he does a certain thing is futile. Proposing you have a better idea is blasphemy. If you want assume, for the sake of your premise, that your idea is better than an omniscient God's idea, well, you can see the problem, can't you?

In other words "Shut up and don't ask questions"

OW, let me ask you: If the Bible said that the correct way to raise children was to light them on fire, would you chide your parents for the fact that you don't have burn wounds all over your body?
---
#10OrangeWizardPosted 5/22/2011 1:54:21 PM
gamesrgreat posted...
I'm just saying there is no point in even having a theology/discussing it if you are going to have the prior belief that you can't question anything in your religion because it is already 100% true

Of course we can discuss it. But assuming that God is the way the bible makes him out to be, he always does the best possible thing at any given time, since he is perfect, so discussing this aspect is futile.

There are plenty of things we can still discuss. This is not one of them.
---