This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Two questions to Christians.

#1DiranosaurPosted 5/25/2011 3:22:16 PM(edited)
1. Would you say that atheists, buddhists, muslims etc who are good people, but haven't accepted Jesus as their personal savior would burn in hell for all eternity for this?

2. What parts of the Bible are you personally following and what parts do you think would be appropriate to ignore in a modern society? Is it okay to kill homosexuals and should women be considered unpure during their period? Is it okay to eat owls?* Should women cover their heads while praying? Is slavery ok?

Don't think of me as a raging atheist, because I'm definitely not. I used to be a Christian, but now I believe in some kind of pantheism. I would never deny the possible existence of one or several personal gods, because we cannot possibly know that. However, if there is a god who created the earth, I believe that science could be just a method for understanding the world that that god created.

*I know most Christians believe that nothing you eat can make you impure in the eyes of God, but I just love the part in the old testament that tells you which owls you cannot eat.
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
#2OrangeWizardPosted 5/25/2011 3:18:24 PM
Diranosaur posted...
1. Would you say that atheists, buddhists, muslims etc who are good people, but haven't accepted Jesus as their personal savior would burn in hell for all eternity for this?

No, because it is my bible based belief that hell does not exist.

If God thinks that these people never had a chance to be Christians, he would resurrect them, and allow them to learn about himself before judging them.

2. What parts of the Bible are you personally following and what parts do you think would be appropriate to ignore in a modern society? Is it okay to kill homosexuals and should women be considered unpure during their period? Is it okay to eat owls? Should women cover their heads while praying? Is slavery ok?

I'm following all that the bible tells us to follow. The bible does not tell Christians to follow the Mosaic Law, so killing homosexuals, etc is right out.

Women should still cover their heads when they lead a prayer, though, as that is a New Testament commandment
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3Diranosaur(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2011 3:20:16 PM
Thank you for the answers. I would very much appreciate Bible verses explaining your beliefs too :)
---
#4OrangeWizardPosted 5/25/2011 3:23:59 PM
The stance on Hell not existing is more about explaining other verses that talk about hell, and can get quite lengthy.

But 1 Corinthians 11:5 talks about head coverings
Romans 10:4 talks about the end of the Law.
Acts 24:15 talks about a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#5chukie_suePosted 5/25/2011 3:30:19 PM(edited)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/263-religion/59134553

While I believe Hell exists, I'm not certain it is eternal... so yeah.

2. What parts of the Bible are you personally following and what parts do you think would be appropriate to ignore in a modern society? Is it okay to kill homosexuals and should women be considered unpure during their period? Is it okay to eat owls? Should women cover their heads while praying? Is slavery ok?

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Mat 5:17, NIV

Most of what you mentioned were laws given to specific people for a specific purpose in a specific time. They have since been fulfilled, as shown above.

As for what I'm personally following... The principle of the ten commandments carries on. Each of the actions were condemned somewhere in the New Testament. So those are a broad guideline. But Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Good questions.

Slavery in the bible, however, was incredibly humane. The year of Jubilee is particularly fascinating. http://www.comereason.org/soc_culture/soc060.asp
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#6AtomicItalianPosted 5/25/2011 3:27:25 PM

Yes.

John 14:16

2. What parts of the Bible are you personally following and what parts do you think would be appropriate to ignore in a modern society? Is it okay to kill homosexuals and should women be considered unpure during their period? Is it okay to eat owls?* Should women cover their heads while praying? Is slavery ok?

I follow, to the best of my ability, all of the Scriptural teachings that are given to Christians. Nothing should be "ignored", but everything should be understood in it's proper context.
---
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 1 John 3:16
#7ledzepfan15Posted 5/25/2011 3:46:33 PM
Slavery in the bible, however, was incredibly humane.

Does that make it okay?
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#8FelixTrapperPosted 5/25/2011 3:49:27 PM
Diranosaur posted...

a) I don't believe in an eternal hell
b) I believe everyone will have the chance to know and accept the truth gospel whether in this life or the next.

Diranosaur posted...

I believe in the bible entirely. I also believe that Jesus completed the Mosaic Law and instituted a higher one to replace it. On top of that, I do not believe that revelation nor prophets have ceased and I believe we receive divine inspiration for our day and age.
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#9Diranosaur(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2011 3:52:31 PM
giantdonkeykongteam posted...
On top of that, I do not believe that revelation nor prophets have ceased and I believe we receive divine inspiration for our day and age.

Could you give any examples of that not connected to mental illness, drugs or seizures? According to the Bible, God often appeared in front of and spoke to people. Is this reported in modern society?
---
#10FelixTrapperPosted 5/25/2011 3:54:01 PM
Diranosaur posted...

Could you give any examples of that not connected to mental illness, drugs or seizures? According to the Bible, God often appeared in front of and spoke to people. Is this reported in modern society?

I would, but every time I mention my faith it tends to derail the topic. So I'm just going to leave it as I stated.
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486